Double stick install

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Monfils

Professional
Pro
This is a job I did this week.
I started in the center of the seam and each end ran off by about 1" .
I got it matched up pretty close.

image-3197653685.jpg

image-4076162.jpg

image-1702307824.jpg

image-2961648562.jpg

image-810649910.jpg

image-2359571015.jpg

image-3092478393.jpg

Last edited:
This was a pretty cool old building.
It has a bowling alley in the basement.
The steps I installed about 12 years ago.

image-2360673787.jpg

image-2630509512.jpg

image-1459290479.jpg

image-3004186426.jpg

image-2836665044.jpg

How old is the bar? I worked in a home that has one similar to that........... guessin the late 20's.
How many in your crew Don? Looks like a fun job, but something seems wrong.........I don't see 20 other trades working on top of you.

How old is the bar? I worked in a home that has one similar to that........... guessin the late 20's.
How many in your crew Don? Looks like a fun job, but something seems wrong.........I don't see 20 other trades working on top of you.

I am not sure but, I was told it was in a few John Wayne movies.
it has to be almost 25 feet long.
Just me and a helper.

Looks good. Haven't seen a double stick since the late 80's. No one does them here.

The last one I did was in 2009

We waited forever for the p.s. adhesive to dry.
There was old v.a.t. with some multi-purpose on top.
We scraped the adhesive the best we could.

After I posted earlier, I forgot to ask what the carpet was.............. probably not, but sure has the looks of a woven wool.
If it was woven wool you would have spouted dirty words. :D

Last edited:
Some of the better quality Milliken stuff will wear forever. You know how tough restaurants are, and we have one that has a carpet that still looks really good after 20 years. 20 years in a restaurant!

First main problem with Milliken is significant bow. If they can ever address that, it will help their products immensely.

Second main problem is: It is high time they updated their colors.

Nice work at the bar, by the way.

LeePelletier said:
Some of the better quality Milliken stuff will wear forever. You know how tough restaurants are, and we have one that has a carpet that still looks really good after 20 years. 20 years in a restaurant!

First main problem with Milliken is significant bow. If they can ever address that, it will help their products immensely.

Second main problem is: It is high time they updated their colors.

Nice work at the bar, by the way.

Ditto on that call.

Was this a Millican carpet?
I don't recall, but I had installed this carpet twice and in different colors. The jobs were done well over a year apart, and yet both rolls had a bow like this.
The blue tape is what the bow looked like before correcting. The seam runs left to right, the straight edge is there just to show how well it straightened out. I think it was 1 3/4" bow in just 3 feet.
Where the two pieces of tape separate, is the seam. I had no choice but to use a piece off of the bowed side of the roll to make the fill with.
A nightmare to correct, but I think I charged an additional $375 because of it. Very complicated layout for a patterned piece of goods, let alone correcting the bow.

IMG_0003Bluetapeshowingbow675.jpg

OK, it had a strong right hook. The bow was probably less than 3/4. Fun job ;)
I was able to get a full pattern along the angled metal transition and the 3 sides of the hearth.
An angled doorway into the bedroom made it just that much more fun. Why me I ask? They could have just let bubba do it. He gets all the rest of the jobs anyway. :rolleyes:

IMG_0007Busy aint it.jpg

Latest posts

Back