Double stick install

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't want any of that info .......just want the name and address of the guy that inspected the freekin carpet. :D

If you ever been through a mill you would see how some of that stuff gets through. It travels very fast under a guy or two on a cat walk. On of the mill people I know says they have less than a 2% complaint rate on their products. True or not I don't know. Carpet is manufactured by the mile not the yard so to speak.

Daris

Yeah, it's a production issue. The selvedges move faster than the center as the weight of the material increases. If I had a 2% complaint ratio I'd be out of business. Like ebay, who buys from anyone with less than a 99% rating? Even 99% is iffy.

I've been to Atlas and they use a laser system.

If you ever been through a mill you would see how some of that stuff gets through. It travels very fast under a guy or two on a cat walk. On of the mill people I know says they have less than a 2% complaint rate on their products. True or not I don't know. Carpet is manufactured by the mile not the yard so to speak.

Daris
Possibly he said that the carpet is moving so fast under the inspectors that they only catch 2% of the flaws? :D

What you're referring to is often described as a "hook". A bow describes the arc of the pattern across the entire breadth.

1-P1350784.JPG

I believe the correct term is linear distortion. Page #2.

http://www.shawcontractgroup.com/Content/LiteraturePDFs/Technical_pdf/Bow_Skew.pdf

Ernesto said:
I believe the correct term is linear distortion. Page #2.

According to your bulletin, linear distortion is in the length and I've known that to be described as edge waver. We're talking about a type of bow or bow/skew combination across the breadth. The carpet doesn't have much more consistency than a wet dish rag before they back it.

DarisMulkin said:
Well if you figure on the millions of yards of carpet a mill makes in a year 2% ain't bad odds me thinks.

20,000 is 2% of one million. That's a lot of defective yards especially when they can often be prevalent in batches.

According to your bulletin, linear distortion is in the length and I've known that to be described as edge waver. We're talking about a type of bow or bow/skew combination across the breadth. The carpet doesn't have much more consistency than a wet dish rag before they back it.

I'd say your picture is more related to linear distortion than bow or skew. Just my opinion. I think the term "hook" is relative to linear distortion rather then bow or skew.

In FloorMaven photo he is showing across more then one breaths of the carpet, it is showing what he say's, a hook at the seam area. If he was showing running the length of the seam and it went in and out, then you would have the edge devation.

In FloorMaven photo he is showing across more then one breaths of the carpet, it is showing what he say's, a hook at the seam area. If he was showing running the length of the seam and it went in and out, then you would have the edge devation.

Your right, I thought it was a shot length wise.

I had a hook bow a couple years back. Called the mill and was told it could hook in the last 18" by 1 1/2",. That is what ours was. Try and get that out. The job got replaced. Oh and the mill wanted pictures showing it with a straight edge not a dry line.
Easiest way to get a hook bow out is cut it out and use the piece somewhere else for fill. You can work it in small pieces.

Daris

I had a hook bow a couple years back. Called the mill and was told it could hook in the last 18" by 1 1/2",. That is what ours was. Try and get that out. The job got replaced. Oh and the mill wanted pictures showing it with a straight edge not a dry line.
Easiest way to get a hook bow out is cut it out and use the piece somewhere else for fill. You can work it in small pieces.

Daris

And no limit to the hook or bow in the new Ansi 600. Slanted toward the mills again.

Thought it use to be one inch in 12' .

That is a bow Nick not a "hook bow" that usually happens about 9" from the selvedge edge. What i was told what causes it is a dryer on the outer edge is not working properly when the backing is attached.
The cute part with a hook bow is they can run in opposite directions and be off the tolerances each way.

Daris

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back