Economy

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not in flooring, but the hotel business has been hit pretty bad. Less travel over the summer means less rooms in use.

Being in Texas I'm told we are unaffected like the rest of the nation, but there are definitely some changes going on.

Some of you already know us, but for those of you that don't, we are a husband-wife installation team who bailed out of Toronto last year when the provincial blended tax flatlined the floorcovering industry. Dave is originally a Winnipegger, and after a short period in Saskatchewan, we returned to Winnipeg before Christmas. This place is an island unto itself, the economy here doesn't seem to be affected by financial woes anywhere else. There are plenty of jobs for those who want to work, and then some. We are being kept busy by one store exclusively, and have been told we are booked through Christmas. Another installer friend of ours left Ontario and is happily making a living in Alberta.

We feel badly for all of those others who are spinning in the wind.

I installed a couple of light fixtures for one customer and tomorrow will be doing some landscape maintainence for a client of mine that's got her home for sale.
Fuzzy side up? I don't remember anymore. :(

I installed a couple of light fixtures for one customer and tomorrow will be doing some landscape maintainence for a client of mine that's got her home for sale.
Fuzzy side up? I don't remember anymore. :(

You do what you have to do. I know I have done work unrelated to flooring several times thru the years.

Some of you already know us, but for those of you that don't, we are a husband-wife installation team who bailed out of Toronto last year when the provincial blended tax flatlined the floorcovering industry. Dave is originally a Winnipegger, and after a short period in Saskatchewan, we returned to Winnipeg before Christmas. This place is an island unto itself, the economy here doesn't seem to be affected by financial woes anywhere else. There are plenty of jobs for those who want to work, and then some. We are being kept busy by one store exclusively, and have been told we are booked through Christmas. Another installer friend of ours left Ontario and is happily making a living in Alberta.

We feel badly for all of those others who are spinning in the wind.

Good luck, save some $$$, what goes up... must come down
History always repeats itself

Question though to those who are slow, when times are going to get good in this industry again I wonder what it'll be like? It seem in my young 16 year career it's been about 50/50 between 9-11 and the great recession.

BTW business here hasn't been to bad, we don't have alot of competition and always have people coming back

Good luck, save some $$$, what goes up... must come down
History always repeats itself

Question though to those who are slow, when times are going to get good in this industry again I wonder what it'll be like? It seem in my young 16 year career it's been about 50/50 between 9-11 and the great recession.

BTW business here hasn't been to bad, we don't have alot of competition and always have people coming back

Until there is full employment things aren't going to change
They are still laying people off here in NZ with all sorts of different factories shutting down. Getting made in China Even the government departments are laying off staff.
People with no jobs will not be building new houses and buying new floors

Until there is full employment things aren't going to change
They are still laying people off here in NZ with all sorts of different factories shutting down. Getting made in China Even the government departments are laying off staff.
People with no jobs will not be building new houses and buying new floors

Nope not buying new, I know many companies actively marketing to the reno market. Most people are going to stay where they are and if anything revamp what they have

Latest posts

Back