From another forum

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floorist

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Pro
I stole this from another forum. Kinda reminds me of Highup's job and I found it funny.

"I want to span 26' using a 10'' I-beam already in existence. The I -beams presently in place are 2 pieces, 13' each with a 3'' gap in between. I would like to remove a center post which supports both beams. I would like to know if I can plate the beam on both sides and if you could tell me what thickness of the plating should be that would support a 2-story house above the steel beams. The house does not have a trussed roof"

Thom replied:

"Those will work just fine. They will work better if you put a very heavy masonry load on top of them to minimize the bounce effect. Personally, I'd tack weld the beams together and do with no posts. You should be able to super glue the beams to the foundation walls and eliminate the posts.

As for the plating, just use the normal plates you find at Dennys. If you eat your breakfast there regularly, you should be able to smuggle enough out to do the whole job in a few weeks.

Don't forget to take a place setting of silverware. If the glue doesn't hold you'll be forked. "

Latest posts

Back