Subfloor prep for Tile over hardwood

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carriagehousereno

I'm in the process of renovating a hundred year old carriage house and specifically ready to install the tile floor in the 2nd floor bathroom. The entire second floor sub-floor is tongue and grove and is visible from the 1st floor as the beams and underside of the sub-floor have all been exposed. I've read on some forums that you should not install tile over hardwood, but due to the sub-floor being visible from the first floor, I do not want to remove it. So I'm interested in knowing what needs to be placed down over the sub-floor for proper installation of 12x24 ceramic tiles. The sub-floor is made up of planks that are roughly 2 1/2" wide by 3/4". I was already planing on using a cement backer board, but what else will be needed. Thanks in advance.

The joists are 11 1/2 x 3 actual measurement and are on roughly 16 inch centers, some are less than 16 none are greater. Oh, and in case it matters, the bathroom dimensions are 10x7 with the joists running along the long side

Last edited:
Your supposed to have a base of 1 1/2 inches of plywood or what have you, then instead of backer board I'd use Schulter Ditra. Backer board offers zero strength as in rigidity and it takes alot of screwing.

Latest posts

Back