Grout conundrum

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havasu

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
I've had a problem with my grout being easily removed from between this floor, which I laid in June 2010. It is wood look plank tile, is approximately 1200 square feet, and all products were purchased new and fresh from Lowe's Big Box hardware store.

5.jpg

Today, I went to a section of the floor, in a heavily travelled area within the kitchen, and applied 10 drops of water. Please notice that immediately upon hitting the grout, the water absorbed into the grout.

6.jpg

7.jpg

Using this white cloth, I used one finger and wiped 5 times (with only slight pressure) and the grout is easily removed as shown on the rag. I then duplicated this step a second and third time, and the results are on the rag.

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

This is the grout I used. Please notice the manufacturing date of 02-10, which makes this grout 4 months old. I've also included a pic of the instructions, which was followed about as close as possible.

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

With the above information, I pose this question to any and all who would like to help me solve this problem.

1) Was this a bad batch of grout? (please keep in mind that I used multiple cases of grout)
2) Is this due to the sealer wearing out?
3) Was the grout watered down during the wiping process?

My guess is you used a polymer grout as oppose to regular grout and your having a reaction. Imo unsanded grout shoudnt need sealing its the porous things in life that should or can technically be sealed.

Being a sub for that particular store I have used ALL of their products without any problems. That particular product is NOT one their products, at least in my area. I NEVER seal grout after I have installed it. I always point the customer to the correct product but I dont waste time doing it myself. I usually use the admix instead of water though, I never mix grout with water. I dont think wiping has anything to do with this particular issue.

I only use water. Never had a problem with it. Call and see if you can get a Mapei rep out there. All they will give you is more grout though.

I do seal unsanded when I do stone. Got some I just did six months ago and it is hard as a rock.

Possible for who?

The grout was completed over several days, with my G/F and myself both mixing it per the instructions. If the mix was incorrect in just a portion of the floor, then it seems that only a portion of the floor would have grout which acts this way, but ALL the grout on this floor job is easily removed.

The grout was completed over several days, with my G/F and myself both mixing it per the instructions. If the mix was incorrect in just a portion of the floor, then it seems that only a portion of the floor would have grout which acts this way, but ALL the grout on this floor job is easily removed.

Are you saying you can still remove the grout? The only way grout should be removed is by grout saw or dremmel tool if you can take the grout out with finger- or fingernail then that's no good.

There are bad batches that come out once in a blue moon from every manufacturer. If they had a bad batch, and these batches are huge, they would know it. But they're not going to call everyone who bought it and tell them. The only decisive way is to get the rep, if you have extra have him send it in to the lab for testing.

I really don't think this is the reason.

If you had a measuring container for the water like I do then you should have no cause to think it is a mixing issue. I've seen guy make it like a slurry and still get away with it.

Latest posts

Back