Hardwood Steps.

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick

In Remembrance
I get about two flights of steps a year , and being my expertise is in sanding ,and installing flat work, I have a question for you guys that do a lot of steps.

I use the same wood for the steps as i do for the floor. Those 3/4" stair noses

Will leave a gap where you cut the original nose off. I been taking off the stringers , and making a new set . installing them then doing the steps .

Is there a better way ? I don't want to patch the nose .

Thanks

The stair nose being only 3/4 " , and the original nose i cut off the step is larger then the new nose leaving a gap.

This is what they should look like without the gap around the nose .

stairs-to-den-finished_thumb.jpg

4 x 6 LFT Bamboo Stair Nose~prbamsnhn_sw.jpg

Is what you're talking about, like this? You are installing 3/4 and the overhang to the left is where you have a gap issue on the old riser?

bamboo  nose image.jpg

You got it Hi. Not that it takes me a long time to cut new stringers after i cut the nose off. I just thought the guys that get steps a lot would have a trick to the problem.
Thanks All.

Old nose has the wrap over? New nose doesn't have a wrap over? If this is what you are saying then how about a piece of scotia molding under the new nosing to cover the gap. Quicker and easier than installing a taller riser or making a thicker nosing.

Latest posts

Back