Hardwood/Tile Issue when remodeling. HELP

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really? I thought it was pretty high...was getting much lower quotes than that when I was thinking about removing the tile and durock. Though I wouldn't trust those same guys now that I'm trying to keep the wood floor underneath.

Really? I thought it was pretty high...was getting much lower quotes than that when I was thinking about removing the tile and durock. Though I wouldn't trust those same guys now that I'm trying to keep the wood floor underneath.

Yeah, as soon as you tell them to be delicate about the demo to save the hardwood price would go up and 90% woulnt even give you a quote unless you signed off on damage.

Yeah, as soon as you tell them to be delicate about the demo to save the hardwood price would go up and 90% woulnt even give you a quote unless you signed off on damage.

Gotcha. I'm going to try to do it myself this week and see how much I can accomplish. Then decide what I'm going to do. I feel that I'll be more careful and take my time to make sure I do it right than 90% of the people I'd hire.

That's good for an hour and a half. Imagine how it would look after 6. Your getting there. The start is always the slowest when doing something new. As you work, you begin to get a feel of what works and what doesn't.
I think you're doing good going all the way across the room first. Then do with the length of the room starting on whichever side feels comfortable. I'd get all the tile up first, then start picking away at the mortar working in sections or lengthwise strips a few feet wide. Lookin good.

That's good for an hour and a half. Imagine how it would look after 6. Your getting there. The start is always the slowest when doing something new. As you work, you begin to get a feel of what works and what doesn't.
I think you're doing good going all the way across the room first. Then do with the length of the room starting on whichever side feels comfortable. I'd get all the tile up first, then start picking away at the mortar working in sections or lengthwise strips a few feet wide. Lookin good.

Yes, I was planning on getting all of the tile up first, but started having issues with the demo hammer. It wasn't going as hard for some reason, so I started picking away at the mortar. Cleaning up takes time as well.

Maybe someone on here can give me some suggestions on why the hammer was slowing down after 30 min or so...Should I try to grease it?

I've only used one once and it didn't work for the purpose I wanted to use it for. I'd google the model number for the makers instructions pdf and see if it mentions anything about lubrication.

I use a roto zip with a concrete bit to go down all the grout lines. the tile comes up a lot easier that way..

I use a roto zip with a concrete bit to go down all the grout lines. the tile comes up a lot easier that way..

Sometime similar to this?

Screenshot_20171031-162842.jpg

Making progress! I was having an issue with my demo hammer, which I was able to fix. I actually think the hammer is working much better now cause I've been able to cut thru tile and concrete much easier. I started tearing up the kitchen yesterday and removed just about all of the tile. Today I removed most of the concrete. I'll work on removing the linoleum tomorrow. From what I see, some of the hardwood from where the cabinets were, have rotted. None of the exposed wood was from underneath then linoleum. I don't think it's a big deal cause it'll be covered up by new cabinets anyway. Will have to fix it though. Let's hope the wood floor underneath the linoleum looks good.

IMG_20171101_181255.jpg

IMG_20171101_192941.jpg

IMG_20171102_173739.jpg

IMG_20171102_180305.jpg

IMG_20171102_194800.jpg

IMG_20171102_194805.jpg

IMG_20171102_194829.jpg

Wow, fantastic progress Brian. Ya got a rhythm goin' in there. You saved a lotta bucks and can put that into restoring the wood now. How much you paying yourself per hour? :D

That is the same cushion backed vinyl my parents had back in the 70's, maybe late 60's. One of the first cushion backed I've ever seen. I was there when the installer guy from Sears installed it.
He said to me; "Don't ever go into the flooring trade."
Apparently there was an issue with the removal of old ass VAT and appliance moving.
Same old story.

That is the same cushion backed vinyl my parents had back in the 70's, maybe late 60's. One of the first cushion backed I've ever seen. I was there when the installer guy from Sears installed it.
He said to me; "Don't ever go into the flooring trade."
Apparently there was an issue with the removal of old ass VAT and appliance moving.
Same old story.

Lol, there's actually another vinyl floor underneath that. I'm planning on removing them tomorrow.

Just keep it wet, could be asbestos in there.
There are saftey standards for safe removal of asbestos laden floorcoverings.
Maybe you should wait untill we can post them for you.

Maybe you should wait untill we can post them for you.

That would be great if someone can post safety tips. Is the best way to test it or just do a safe removal? Also the asbestos can come up when removing the ceramic tile as well, right?

Last edited:
Maybe you should wait until we can post them for you.
Depends on how old Brian is. :D Takes 30 to 45 years to start causing health issues.
But still, Brian, remove it safely. Using mist type spray bottles during the removal process keeps the old vinyl's felt wet, which keeps the bad dust from floating around.... like Ernesto said, the asbestos. It's not nuclear waste like the government says it is, but it's not something you want to sand or pulverize. Keep it damp and be aware of it's existence. Vinyl that age most likely has asbestos in the backing.

Last edited:
Depends on how old Brian is. :D Takes 30 to 45 years to start causing health issues.
But still, Brian, remove it safely. Using mist type spray bottles during the removal process keeps the old vinyl's felt wet, which keeps the bad dust from floating around.

31, lol. Spray it with water as I'm removing it? Also would you recommend doing that when removing the ceramic tile and concrete? Or not necessary?

That would be great if someone can post safety tips. Is the best way to test it or just do a safe removal? Also the asbestos can come up when removing the ceramic tile as well, right?
Check the laws in "where you live" and see what it says about homeowners removing it............ in many states a homeowner can do that themselves. That said, you may still have to dispose of it "properly".
Personally, I'd google your state laws regarding 'removal and disposal by a homeowner'. Professionals are held to a "dot all the I's and cross all the T's protocols or they end up being sued out of business by the DEQ, CIA, FBI, NSA, and everyone else under the sun.
Pros can't do it, but you may be able to. Just check your states laws regarding asbestos removal and disposal by a home owner. That issue may come up some day when you sell the house too.

Check the laws in "where you live" and see what it says about homeowners removing it............ in many states a homeowner can do that themselves. That said, you may still have to dispose of it "properly".
Personally, I'd google your state laws regarding 'removal and disposal by a homeowner'. Professionals are held to a "dot all the I's and cross all the T's protocols or they end up being sued out of business by the DEQ, CIA, FBI, NSA, and everyone else under the sun.
Pros can't do it, but you may be able to. Just check your states laws regarding asbestos removal and disposal by a home owner. That issue may come up some day when you sell the house too.

Yes the laws can be strange. Church members can remove asbestos from their church as long as they do It free. I guess that makes it safer.:D

Latest posts

Back