Large format tile

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Monfils

Professional
Pro
Anyone have any tips for installing 24x24" polished porcelain.
Going over Hardie backer.
My main concern is lipage.

If the substrate isn't plane...you got trouble. Hardi may not be the best choice for tile that big. I would consider using SLC in place of any backerboard.

"Plane" = flat.

"SLC" = Self Leveling Compound.

All cement boards soak up water. So what?

large trowel, medium bed mortar and CBP clips, or tuscon leveling system works just fine

Yes all cement boards soak up water but wonder board dose not swell up like hardi board. Just did a repair where the sink leaked the hardi board soake it up, swelled, and busted tile.

Yes all cement boards soak up water but wonder board dose not swell up like hardi board. Just did a repair where the sink leaked the hardi board soake it up, swelled, and busted tile.

Yep. I never liked that hardibacker because of that propensity. I always use wonderboard.

I never use hardi, it is newspaper and soaks up water.

sink leaked the hardi board soake it up, swelled, and busted tile.

Not sure these two statements aren't full of exaggerations. Not buying it.

I have never seen Hardi swell from moisture, not sure it can. Hardibacker has absolutely nothing in it that will expand from moisture.

"Newspaper"? Okay now that was meant to be a joke. Correct? Because that also is not the case.

A local lumberyard has a piece of Hardiebacker in a pail of water.
I don't recall how long it has been there but, I know it's at least a few years.
It has not swollen.
As far as the tile I installed half of the floor ( 24"x24" tiles ) I used a 3/8"x3/8" square notch trowel and also back buttered the tile.
It looked beautiful , nice and level, no lippage.
When I returned the next day the customer informed me the tile was supposed to be installed at a diagonal :eek:.
Talk about a belly ache.
The builder did not tell the store this and is paying me for rip up, clean up and re-installing the tile.
Good news was I had excellent coverage left on the back of the tile.
Now I don't know how I'm going to cut these huge tiles at a diagonal ( approx. 33') I have a MK101 and a 29" Sigma snap cutter.
The tile cuts awesome with the Sigma cutter.
I was wondering if I could remove the handle with the cutting wheel and place a straight edge over the tile and score the tile.:confused:
I also have a circular saw thet hooks up to a hose that I have never used.
Any ideas on how to cut these?

You could buy a throw away bridge saw from that place that sells cheap chinese made tools. Probably be cheaper than renting. Snapping tiles on a 45 is tough, dang corners break unevenly sometimes, especially on rough surfaced tiles. I use a few drops of oil on the wheel or scoring pin.

Last edited:
You could buy a throw away bridge saw from that place that sells cheap chinese made tools. Probably be cheaper than renting. Snapping tiles on a 45 is tough, dang corners break unevenly sometimes, especially on rough surfaced tiles. I use a few drops of oil on the wheel or scoring pin.

Surly you wouldn't be speaking of Harbor Freight would you?

Don the snap-cutter will ruin more tile than is practical. Renting a proper size wet saw is your more cost-effective bet for now unless you were to buy a new saw.

Do you have a Menard's store in your area?

Latest posts

Back