Last Glue Down Job

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernesto

Professional
Pro
I've decided to stop doing glue downs as of yesterday when I finished up an Indusparquet Amendoim job.
Just takes to long, to many hoops to jump through and twice as physicially demanding as compared to a floater or nail down. The extra compensation I can get for a glue down does not make up for all the misery and mess.

Feels like I went a round with Mohammad Ali. :)

40aff006-7a8a-4df1-a700-e77a2cdd42da.jpg

EXACTLY why I like being paid hourly.

Yeah, I still have to go 15 round with champ but IT ALL PAYS THE SAME.

WTF do I care if I do 200 or 2000 square feet a day?

The wood job I'm working on is my first wood floor in probably 10 years. It's a floater. I glued in the starter rows and got 4 feet out from the wall, stopping at a point where I could screed out some filler so it could dry overnight. I'm feeling my age just getting this much completed.
The room is 19 by 26 and there is a 7 foot long disassembled bar leaning up in one corner of the room. It takes up 7' by 4' space. On the other end of the room are 2 leather couches taking up a 3' by 7 foot area...............
I got is started for ya, and since it's a floater, you can come up and take off where I left off. :D

Its a floater and they are going to put a bar on top?

Daris

You don't like bars? :D
The bar has a back section and a front section, both about 7 or 8 feet in width. The other two 'sides' are open. On the 4 corners there are posts that support a wooden canopy that connects it all together, I'd guess it was built in the early to mid 1900's. The ceiling in the room is over 8 feet, so the canopy fits in the room pretty well.
Did you hear Stephen isn't doing any more direct glue downs? He's gonna finish the floater job I'm working on instead.:D

Last edited:
I'd do a wild of guess 400 to 500 lbs. Concrete floor with floor muffler on top of a plastic vapor barrier.......... Basically sayin' the under the wood it's slippery as snot on a handrail.

Oh if the floor wants to move the bar it will. Engineered don't move that much anyways. Now a laminate might have issues and unlock.

High, I only go north as far as Phoenix and thats not very often. Unless you send a one way ticket and pay me in food.

EXACTLY why I like being paid hourly.

Yeah, I still have to go 15 round with champ but IT ALL PAYS THE SAME.

WTF do I care if I do 200 or 2000 square feet a day?

I'm not sure about that Incognito, the difference between 200 and 2,000 sf at my price is $6,750.00.

I'm not sure about that Incognito, the difference between 200 and 2,000 sf at my price is $6,750.00.

For me it's my union wage and benefits day in and day out. I try to work just as hard as I can and do a professional job regardless of the pressures from the customer, employer, contractor, other trades...........whatever.

It's just another 8 hours on my knees whether the boss gets rich or goes broke. That's how I roll.

For me it's my union wage and benefits day in and day out. I try to work just as hard as I can and do a professional job regardless of the pressures from the customer, employer, contractor, other trades...........whatever.

It's just another 8 hours on my knees whether the boss gets rich or goes broke. That's how I roll.

If ya work twice as fast, the boss makes more money.:D

Oh if the floor wants to move the bar it will. Engineered don't move that much anyways. Now a laminate might have issues and unlock.

High, I only go north as far as Phoenix and thats not very often. Unless you send a one way ticket and pay me in food.
It's a pita job, but it's coming along. The planks are staying nice and straight. I wish I had one more clamp. The planks are mostly 72", but each box has 2 to 4 36" planks in it. The short boards and the differences in board colors are making it a real challenge. Customer is happy so far, and that's all I care about.

Work out of three boxes at a time Hi. They will blend in .

They won't blend in with 5 boxes. The variations are intentional. You need to spend a lot of time laying out 3 or 4 rows at a time making sure you don't have too many lights and darks next to each other. 3 dark ones touching each other in staggered, adjoining rows next to each other is good, 5 is bad. You just need to lay out the rows of boards, then step back and look for any offensive color blocks.
Between the color variations and end joint locations, it just takes a lot of extra time with this material.

If ya work twice as fast, the boss makes more money.:D

I'm already working 3 times as fast and he's losing his ass on every job. He was barely able to afford filling the fuel tanks on his yachts this week and he's even considering cutting back on some of his country club memberships overseas. Prices at the airport for his private jets are skyrocketing. I guess I'll have to pick up the pace.

Last edited:
I'm already working 3 times as fast and he's losing his ass on every job. He was barely able to afford filling the fuel tanks on his yachts this week and he's even considering cutting back on some of his country club memberships overseas. Prices at the airport for his private jets are skyrocketing. I guess I'll have to pick up the pace.

...Can't wait to see you on Undercover Boss. :D

Latest posts

Back