LVT vs Porcelain

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVRVT

My husband and I have wanted wood-look tile for years. We're finally ready to get the floors done and I'm having serious reservations. My knees are getting worse and not sure they can handle the hardness of the tile floor. So, just starting to look into luxury vinyl planks as an alternative. Anyone have pros and cons? They seem to look really nice and feel much better underfoot. We have young kids and large dogs so I hate carpet and wood scratches horribly. I want easy to care for floors that I can sanitize if need be. Thank you!

Last edited:
Err, Vinyl plank can be water resistant. Not necessarily waterproof. It depends on the type of LVP and the way it is installed.

There are commercial style installations using glue and sealants and such that are used in doctor's offices. There are also ones that are just click lock. These ones often have the vinyl on top and some sort of particle board underneath. These kinds are NOT waterproof in the slightest. You need something that is vinyl all the way through and that locks together tightly.

I'm currently still hoping to bet some sort of LVP for my kitchen eventually. I have a lot of cats and some dogs that run amok.

Mannington Adura Max (with Lock-Solid something) is advertised as waterproof. This product has a nice layer of rubber or foam or something attached to its underneath which prevents water from getting through between the planks. Plus I think it also adds comfort when walking on it. This product was installed last week and it looks great. My dog promptly inaugurated the floor with a pile of vomit (which was a joy to clean up and I'm not kidding). Time will tell if the floor lives up to expectations. But like I said Mannington hit a home run with the look and feel of the product (it has graining and wood knot marks and color variations and surface texturing that give the product depth and character).

Latest posts

Back