Mineral Spirits for cleaning VCT

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darol Wester

Professional
Pro
I've always used this product because it's what was recommended for cleaning up glue residues and such prior to strip and finishing. Unfortunately, here in the great state of California, you can't get the stuff any more due to the GREEN thing. So....what are you guys in this state using to clean VCT now? I may run up to Oregon and get it if I can't find a better solution.

I tried a couple different cleaners in the past and they caused a different coloration when the finish was put down, so I'm a bit gun shy of experimenting with other options that haven't been tested already.

i use de-solv-it -------kinda hard to find but it works great---its a commercial strenghth citrus based product and kalli friendly----like i say *greener than kermit*

I tried lighter fluid yesterday. It didn't want to get everything up. It left a little residue of glue behind. Maybe I bought the cheap stuff, if that's possible.

WD. You'd think it would leave an oily film. I'll have to try it.

Citrus. Hmmm. I've have to try that too.

I've got some denatured alcohol. Any thoughts with that stuff?

google de-solv-it contractors solvent-----works on all the glues but i even used it to take chewing gum out of a commercial carpet --freaky stuff

A few years back I was doing lots of VCT for a company and I was also doing the stripping of the new floor and applying the needed coats of finish. At first I was using what I've used for a long time, Taylor #9 safety solvent to clean up little bits of glue and what not. When I applied the finish to the areas that was cleaned with the solvent, the color was several shades lighter than the rest. :eek: After I went to mineral spirits, the problem was resolved.

I've been gun shy of solvents ever since.

Yeah, thats the stuff. I always use that. It definetly takes off the pre-wax on the tiles. But I never heard anyone complain about it affecting the new coats of wax. Maybe it just needs bunishing.

Latest posts

Back