My old electric tacker is dying

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
Who makes a decent one these days? I had to borrow one from a friend to do some curved/wrapped stairs. It's a Duofast. I'll get to check it out today to see how it functions.

I shot a few staples yesterday, and it felt like the staples weren't coming out because it worked effortlessly. It of course, was.
My old gun is a Crain from the early 90's. Amazed at how long it lasted.

I have an old and new dusofast. My old one works better than the newer one.

The newer Duo Fast is the best. I have a Roberts, A Crain and the old Duo Fast with the round head. They're all crap compared to the latest design of the Duo Fast.

If you'd like the Roberts one for free, I'll send it to you. It spits staples pretty much like all the rest, but it's not going to last like a Duo-Fast. I really think a pneumatic one is the better choice, but that's a logistical bitch.

My trigger on my duofasts have gotten weirdly sensitive lately. Both of mine seem to like to multishot lately on normal trigger pulls. We took em apart and cleaned up the innards and put em back together, but they have stayed touchy as hell for some reason.

Stephen King explained that phenomenon in a movie starring AC/DC waaaaaaay after they peaked.

The newer Duo Fast is the best. I have a Roberts, A Crain and the old Duo Fast with the round head. They're all crap compared to the latest design of the Duo Fast.

When I bought the new do-u-fast I had just sent the old one in for repairs and I needed one. That was when the new model just came out. I was told they may not be able to fix it because of parts shortages but it came back like a tiger. So the newer one sits. It's got a pretty case and all.

If you'd like the Roberts one for free, I'll send it to you. It spits staples pretty much like all the rest, but it's not going to last like a Duo-Fast. I really think a pneumatic one is the better choice, but that's a logistical bitch.
Much appreciated Chuck. I bit the bullet and ordered a Duofast yesterday. I was happy with the way the Duofast loaner worked, and it seems a lot more powerful and better made than my antiquated Crain model.

My trigger on my duofasts have gotten weirdly sensitive lately. Both of mine seem to like to multishot lately on 6normal trigger pulls. We took em apart and cleaned up the innards and put em back together, but they have stayed touchy as hell for some reason.
I recall the old Roberts having a microswitch which was activated by the trigger. There was a sort of lockout mechanism that made it so you had to release the trigger each time it fired. If the lockout broke or was loose, it fired like a machine gun. It was fun to see if you could pull the trigger quickly enough that you only got two staples. I think the kick/jolt of the gun being fired, made the switch contacts touch each other and start a back and forth chain reaction. ...kinda fun, but useless.

Last edited:
What I always found fun was taking pot shots at my partner whenever I did stairs. However having to find the loose staples was less fun, but still satisfying.

What I always found fun was taking pot shots at my partner whenever I did stairs. However having to find the loose staples was less fun, but still satisfying.

My helper and I chased a cat around the house once. We thought we had them all picked up but the customer called the store wondering why she was finding staples in rooms that weren't being carpeted. We used the excuse the tacker was not working right. That was back in the days when it was boot and shoot.

Daris

My helper and I chased a cat around the house once. We thought we had them all picked up but the customer called the store wondering why she was finding staples in rooms that weren't being carpeted. We used the excuse the tacker was not working right. That was back in the days when it was boot and shoot.
Daris

Why am I guessing that you don't have a cat in the house? :D

Latest posts

Back