new interior wall

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to be constructing a wall in my basement. the floor is carpet over concrete. I'll cut the carpet/pad and pull both sides back so I can attach the plate to the concrete. when I put the carpet back, I'll be putting down some "tack-strips". question: is there a tool I can rent that will "fire" those small nails into the concrete or do I have to hammer them in?

tnx,

Don't forget to use treated lumber next to the concrete for the bottom plate. For the tack strip I'd use construction adhesive and see if you can get some of the nails to hold. Another trick is is to pull the drive nails and cut the strip into 6" pieces then glue it down. That way if you was to have one come up the whole lot don't come up. You don't say how many feet you will be doing. Make sure floor is clean and give the adhesive time to set up.

Daris

Don't forget to use treated lumber next to the concrete for the bottom plate. For the tack strip I'd use construction adhesive and see if you can get some of the nails to hold. Another trick is is to pull the drive nails and cut the strip into 6" pieces then glue it down. That way if you was to have one come up the whole lot don't come up. You don't say how many feet you will be doing. Make sure floor is clean and give the adhesive time to set up.

Daris

hmm..."construction adhesive" you say! didn't consider that. I know that stuff is pretty strong. (I use Loctite PL) I'll give it a shot! thanks Daris
BTW: I'm doing 20+ ft.

I personally drill and tap in aluminum drives to set my tack strip in basement or over concrete scenarios. There are adapters and solid square tungsten carbide tips that do not cost an arm and a leg. You would simple either replace the steel concrete nails that come pre-affixed to concrete tack strip if you are not able to drive them yourself, or use the aluminum drives as backups to ensure proper hold. I do not like to wait to stretch in my carpet, and much prefer the solidity that backing up with drives provide. I have never had a wall stretch fail with this method while I have had and seen tack strip fail with gluing. Nothing sucks worse that poling a stretch off a wall and feeling it give way due to residue, paint, or simply having the glue not provide adequate hold requiring you to go back to step one.

Latest posts

Back