New unfinished hardwood, sanding procedure?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott

Sorry I'm completely new to hardwood installation.
I have 4" 3/4" R/Q sawn oak that I installed. Straight from the mill.
I'm struggling to find the various sanding procedures necessary to get to the staining point. I have zero gaps but will be spot filling some extra natural knots that have divots.
Locally I have access to a drum sander,and an edge sander but if I would need an large orbital or vibration sander I'll be driving an hour away.
What grits should I use on what machines if I had access to all the tools?
I plan to stain then do two coats of bona traffic hd.

Thanks!

What's R/Q?
How many Sq Ft.
I've been doing floor coverings since high school in '75. I've only done some prefinished wood flooring over the years, but that's one job I'd never attempt even tho I can get access to the tools I'd need.
I'm hoping/assuming the wood was dried properly, acclimated and the home of heated 24/7?

Rift and quarter sawn. 600 sq ft
Yes I've acclimated waffle style for a few weeks at 55 rh. Best I can do living near two rivers.

That's good. Real wood prefers 24/7 maintained temps and humidity levels.
....within reason. 😉. I don't know if 1/4 sawn has different expansion rates than other cuts.
Rift is a new term for me..... That's why I do carpet. Expansion rates are easily changed. 😁
Personally, I'd be searching out every YouTube channel I could find watching the sanding procedure.

Yes oddly the videos are all really about refinishing. Or laying new prestained floors. I may contact the mill they may know.
I

Working through the grits when sanding is pretty straight forward. What kind of machinery you have access to will make a difference (Hummel vs Easy 8 for example). Take your time and get down low to the floor with a drop light after each grit, this will allow you to see any imperfections that still need to be sanded out. Stain will highlight any sanding flaws so this step is kinda important.

It would be an Essex silver line drum sander. Not sure what disc as I haven't found one for rent near me year. I may need to travel towards town to rent.

Working through the grits when sanding is pretty straight forward. What kind of machinery you have access to will make a difference (Hummel vs Easy 8 for example). Take your time and get down low to the floor with a drop light after each grit, this will allow you to see any imperfections that still need to be sanded out. Stain will highlight any sanding flaws so this step is kinda important.
I helped a friend apply dark stain to an oak floor he'd sanded. The sanding scratches went from invisible to OMG instantly. I googled staining wood floors instead of going natural and there was a lot of advice not to do it. I'd be careful about thinking dark stain.

Hi Scott,
I can't say for flooring specifically, but general staining tips that have served me well:
1. Clean thoroughly between grits. This helps eliminate bits of grit that have come loose and can leave swirls and scratches.
2. You may want to consider using a wood conditioner. It will absorb into the softer fibers and seal them. This will help the stain to absorb more evenly. Also, if the scratches are really bad, the conditioner can help show them up as well, giving you a chance to sand again.

All the best!

Latest posts

Back