Peaking Seam

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About 2 months ago I installed a heavier (aprox 70oz face weight) plush carpet. Two weeks ago I got a call back about the seam. To be completely honest I went ahead and busted open, re-cut and re-burned seam, there were some buried yarns, and one area had a slight overlap. Latex seam sealer was used during original install and repair. One of the customers complaints was that the seam was higher than the rest of floor(peaking) the width of the seam tape. After correcting the seam, 2 days later the customer returns to my store and show picture to store owner. His conclusion is that the living room needs to be replaced because of this seam.

What direction is the seam running to the light source? Most mills recommend perpendicular to the light source. How heavy of seam tape you use? Peaking is something that can't be stopped short of hand sewing the seam, it is a nature of physics when you add something below the seam and put stretch on it. The tension wants to go in a straight line so it follows the seam tape forcing the center up causing the peaking.
Now using the thermo as a sealer will help because it welds the two edges together and don't let it rise.
Another scenario is maybe it isn't peaking as much as it is seam profiling from to heavy of a tape. If you can see the tape line then that is what it could be.
either way I would thermo seal the seam and use like Orcon's SU-90 type seam tape or equivilant. It is a low melt urethane tape so clean you iron before using it and run your iron on like 2. Or even better if you have a Kool glide iron use that.
Rereading your post I'd say you have seam profiling-to heavy of a tape, but there is still something under there. Even a newspaper would show up in time.

Daris

Last edited:
It is unfortunately running parallel to large windows. I've been in the trade 14yrs and never come across this much of an issue. The seam tape was simply a Lowe's brand, gold line. I use a home made seam weight that has wood on bottom and weight through it. Aprox dimensions are 18"x32" and weighs aprox 40lbs. I ran my iron at 2 - 2.5 on a crain iron. I go out and measure the jobs, bid, and schedule seperatly from store. Today the store was speaking of calling in the mill rep to look at seam.

Light is probably the issue and sometimes the best way to lay out a room, or a job doesn't allow running all seams into the light source as you would like to do.
Customers don't understand the physical issues that make a seam visible. They expect it to be invisible because they don't know any better. There is a difference between a bad seam and a good seam that shows a little bit. It sounds like you did the seam right and the particular carpet they chose is one that doesn't fare as well as others in that kind of lighting. I'm sure a fair and knowledgeable rep would back you up if it goes that far.

The customer wants his living room replaced, it connects to a large master bedroom. Aprox 80 yrds in the two rooms. I told the store owner replacing it, the same thing would happen. My insurance has already been brought up.

I will admit, this is a lesson learned. Before his carpet had a fill 5' off the wall that adjoins master bedroom. I changed direction and it cut down yardage after his remodel. But previously it went perpendicular to lighting

I've go so far as making two seams in a room, in order to move a seam from near the center of a room towards the outer edges of the room............. that was some $100 per yard Karastan wool carpet. The room was 21 feet wide and all the traffic went into the middle of the room. I hated making two seams, but because of the lighting, furniture positions and room usage, I went a bit above and beyond the shops original layout.
Carpet manufacturers and carpet schools all say that seams will show.............. you have that information on your side. When a seam turns out invisible, you know you beat the odds. Seams always show more in a freshly vacuumed empty room, than once the furniture is all back in place. For that reason, I like assisting the customer to get some furniture back in place.

This is the seam. I am seeing that hindsight is 20/20

tmp_6991-imagejpeg_0823371856.jpg

When measuring and selling a job, I always point out to the customer that seams sometimes show because of the material or light source. I NEVER promise an invisible seam.

That's an angle that makes it look as bad as it can. Standing, I'm sure it looks better. Let us know haw it plays out.
Daris mentioned thermo sealing the seam instead of latex. I quit latex many years ago. That said, head seams with a looped pile or berbers always get latex. Thermo sealer gets reactivated as the seam is put back together. With head seams on looped pile, you don't want those loops to loosen up and ravel as the seam being made............. so I always latex those edges.

When measuring and selling a job, I always point out to the customer that seams sometimes show because of the material or light source. I NEVER promise an invisible seam.

If the carpet is difficult or the seam location can go either way, I'd always suggest the best seam location even if it means them buying a considerable extra carpet. I explain why I'd prefer the additional amount of carpet and let them decide. I go into detail and tell them exactly how and why the room lighting can amplify the seam visibility. If they spent $1800 on carpet and another $150 would make the job look a whole lot better........ is it really that much? The additional can sometimes make a nice runner or small area rug.............. I'll bring that up also.

This is the seam. I am seeing that hindsight is 20/20

Lighting is picking up on the tape hump. You might lay a pencil down parallel before the seam and show the customer how much it casts a shadow do to lighting. Then lay it perpendicular to the light source.
Not knowing the complete layout it is hard to make a judgement call. God forbid but maybe this is one time a 6" iron may help out, but not in favor of that.
Do something to stop the light then show the customer what it looks like.

Daris

Well, my store threw me under the bus. I'm going to call my insurance on Monday, I'm hoping an inspector will determine the carpet does this sometimes and side with me. The store, that I no longer work through, has contacted the customer who is speaking of calling an attorney.

Well, my store threw me under the bus. I'm going to call my insurance on Monday, I'm hoping an inspector will determine the carpet does this sometimes and side with me. The store, that I no longer work through, has contacted the customer who is speaking of calling an attorney.

If the store hires an inspector, he/she will probably agree with the store. Most inspectors are just hired guns.

If it gets nasty, don't let the customer choose a different carpet...........
maybe they just don't like the one that they chose.

Latest posts

Back