Peaking Seam

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, my store threw me under the bus. I'm going to call my insurance on Monday, I'm hoping an inspector will determine the carpet does this sometimes and side with me. The store, that I no longer work through, has contacted the customer who is speaking of calling an attorney.

How does the seam look and feel absent that window light? It's not a fair angle to subject a carpet seam to. It's not always possible or reasonable to avoid seams that are in awkward lighting angles. Neither can every seam be completely invisible at any angle under any lighting conditions.

But you know all that. Just sharing my thoughts and trying to help you structure your argument to the store, client, inspector, insurance agent, lawyers and judge should it go that far.

I got sent to repair a few seams in the Occidental Petroleum corporate headquarters on Wilshire Blvd. in Los Angeles. It was a theater setting and the complaints were about the seams in a corridor leading to the theater where I think they did corporate trainings and such. Anyways there was no overhead lighting down the halls only lights setting about a foot off the ground on the walls of the corridor every 10' or so. The low angle lighting highlighted the seams........your situation exactly.

I knew the guy who did the install-----best carpet layer I ever met. Still, I ran my all down the seams to see if there was any gaps, trapped yards or whatever. There wasn't a damn thing wrong with the seams. Nor was there a damn thing I could do to improve them. You can't close the lights in a room and shine a light angled low onto a seam. Many, if not most seams WILL show under that light. It's the nature of the beast.

I respectfully refused to open up the seams and re-burn them. If my buddy Jack couldn't make them happy sure as hell I couldn't. They understood and the case was closed.

Some people can be convinced of what we here would all understand if the argument is presented convincingly with the proper attitude. The idea that they "threw you under the bus" indicates to me the person handling the customer might not be the right man for that role. And that sucks for you.

One additional thought. I was asked to try to reduce seam peaking on a Karastan woven install that another installer did. Lighting was only coming from a single window at the far end of the 16 by 22 foot room. The seam went parallel with the windows like yours.
Woven carpets stretch virtually zero in width, so when you make a seam, all of the tension from stretching goes directly to the seam tape.
I loosened the sides of the room from the tackstrip and came back the next day. I put as little tension as I could to get it back on the tacks.
Then I stretched from the wall back at the seam........... I stretched it from both walls, towards the seam. It definitely helped. Customer was happy.
...........see if they will let you attempt that fix. You might not need to release the strip from the walls......... just push the tension into the seam from each side. I bet it will help. Sorry I forgot about that earlier.

Last edited:
Older thread but Ill chime in anyways. I have it in writing that seams may not be invisible as well.
If someone challenges that I will ask them to show me any fabric seam that is invisible especially when stretched.

Latest posts

Back