Pet peeves

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took appx 15 pallets to the dump, only 31.00 bucks, and that’s not enough to make a manager/ owner to seek out alternative recycling ideas that would keep them in use……Seems like such a waste of natural resources and an opportunity for individuals to have a job refurbishing them.
One of our lumberyards gives them away. Some of the locals build stuff with them.

Last edited:
Hard to understand why no one can just reuse the skids that are in good shape. Same as carpet poles. Not worth the collection and bother I guess.
One would think a semi trailer full of tubes could pull a profit.
If it was feasables, they'd do it. Shops aren't going to set aside space to store tubes for a month, so yea, it's just not gonna happen.

One would think a semi trailer full of tubes could pull a profit.
If it was feasables, they'd do it. Shops aren't going to set aside space to store tubes for a month, so yea, it's just not gonna happen.
Nope, not worth it anymore. We used to store um back when the mills would pay the truckers 50 cents each to bring them back... Dumpsters are expensive too so it ends up costing a pretty penny for the shop to throw them out.

I think the problem is the mills don’t want the expense of cleaning the plastic wrappers (that they strap on so tight) off the ends…

I’m glad we stopped using plastic straws though. That should be enough to save the planet..🤔

I took appx 15 pallets to the dump, only 31.00 bucks, and that’s not enough to make a manager/ owner to seek out alternative recycling ideas that would keep them in use……Seems like such a waste of natural resources and an opportunity for individuals to have a job refurbishing them.
We put them at the curb. They go very quickly.

Nope, not worth it anymore. We used to store um back when the mills would pay the truckers 50 cents each to bring them back... Dumpsters are expensive too so it ends up costing a pretty penny for the shop to throw them out.

I think the problem is the mills don’t want the expense of cleaning the plastic wrappers (that they strap on so tight) off the ends…

I’m glad we stopped using plastic straws though. That should be enough to save the planet..🤔
Glad you saved the planet. How do you shoot spitwads without a plastic straw? 😁

Stuff like this really peeves me. Who does that!

IMG_3449.jpeg
IMG_3450.jpeg

When I was installing in a new house, I always hated the electricians. I would get the pad down and they would strip wire and leave it all over the pad. It had to be picked up by hand, no way to sweep it up. Tried a vacuum once and the wire ruined it.

Stuff like this really peeves me. Who does that!

View attachment 17255View attachment 17256
I was going to say the guy that didn't acclimate his MDF but.......
I'm more pressed to say a guy that doesn't have a chop saw that does 46°....
... A guy that buys his spackle in gallon pails
... A guy who can't see
... A guy that doesn't care
.... And maybe a guy that doesn't get paid?

Joggers 🏃‍♂️ on a country road, especially when you can see the jogging path 30 yards away. 😡
Highway 101 especially the further north you get in Oregon is fairly narrow and twisty in spots. A bicyclist got nailed by a log truck recently. It was scared the hell out of me to ride a bicycle along the highway. It's only two lanes and it's just not wide enough for everybody.
The log truck didn't actually hit the bicyclist. I think when it went past him, he got sucked towards the trailer.
Trails seem so much more relaxing.

When I was installing in a new house, I always hated the electricians. I would get the pad down and they would strip wire and leave it all over the pad. It had to be picked up by hand, no way to sweep it up. Tried a vacuum once and the wire ruined it.
I don’t care much for tapers and spacklers either…

All trades seem to think it’s ok to leave a mess on an unfinished floor, even if you just swept it.

I don’t care much for tapers and spacklers either…

All trades seem to think it’s ok to leave a mess on an unfinished floor, even if you just swept it.
Last couple years I was doing drywall, taping and painting. I didn't always throw down a drop cloth, but I always made a mess. One of the dudes I grew up with became a taper and we wound up working on a Stop n Shop or Bradless somewhere in CT. He's up on the scaffold taping and I asked him why you guys are so sloppy. He came down off the scaffold and handed me the putty knife and said----you try it!

Last couple years I was doing drywall, taping and painting. I didn't always throw down a drop cloth, but I always made a mess. One of the dudes I grew up with became a taper and we wound up working on a Stop n Shop or Bradless somewhere in CT. He's up on the scaffold taping and I asked him why you guys are so sloppy. He came down off the scaffold and handed me the putty knife and said----you try it!
Yea I get. I’ve done some taping on an amateur level. It’s a messy job, but how come they don’t have to clean up their mess? Shouldn’t they scrape and sweep instead of us? If we messed up the walls the way they mess up the floors I’m pretty sure we’d be seeing a back charge…😎

Yea I get. I’ve done some taping on an amateur level. It’s a messy job, but how come they don’t have to clean up their mess? Shouldn’t they scrape and sweep instead of us? If we messed up the walls the way they mess up the floors I’m pretty sure we’d be seeing a back charge…😎

Pretty sure that stuff is all in the contract. I’ve seen jobs, not many, where they paper the floor before the mudding begins. Other jobs will have a laborer half ass scrape, sweep and otherwise clean up afterwards. I’m excited just to see a broom swept floor without a bunch of stuff in my way anymore.

Pretty sure that stuff is all in the contract. I’ve seen jobs, not many, where they paper the floor before the mudding begins. Other jobs will have a laborer half ass scrape, sweep and otherwise clean up afterwards. I’m excited just to see a broom swept floor without a bunch of stuff in my way anymore.
They'd clean up when I was GC Super only if I asked them too. Yes, they are used to laborers cleaning behind then and expected to move on taping and NOT stop to clean. Likewise, when the tapers were still on site I could get them to clean up. Usually they'd be done and gone so I blame the GC. If it was ridiculous he'd pay us a couple hours or I'd walk off. I liked to walk off sometimes to be quite honest. Made me feel like a man.

Yea, before the recession in 2008 all my jobs had a super and at least one laborer. It was a beautiful thing. After that one super was working 5 different jobs and by the time they were ready for floor covering no more laborers.

Latest posts

Back