plywood?squares under sliding closet doors

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris134711

I am getting new carpet. I have cheapo tract home sliding closet doors that have the plastic door guides screwed into a small block of wood under the carpet. The door guides are always coming out of the floor because the wood under the carpet is crap. Does anybody have insight on this? Should I put new blocks of some type of wood in the same spots, leave the junk wood blocks there? The carpet store could care less about talking tome about this.

do I need the wood? Is it plywood? how thick? Should I just affix plastic door guides to concrete (through carpet) and forget the wood? What have you usually done as an installer with the wood squares? If I have no thick wood square underneath, I am not even close to the doors reaching the door guides. (I know that the top of the closet doors are adjustable but not adjustable enough for me).

You need wood blocks. Just let the installers cut the pad around the blocks and put the carpet over it. Before you drill, cut an X in the carpet where you are going to drill. Drill down through the blocks and put anchors into the slab. The screw heads should hold the nylon slides down.

If the doors have the rollers on the top, you can easily eliminate all the glides on the floor. They might swing out a bit, but would surely be a cleaner installation.

Some of those, especially on tract built homes, are so cheaply made that they will just fall out of the tracs, if the bottom isn't on the slides. The doors are only 1/4" thick with a slightly thicker metal frame on the outside.

I'm having the same problem with a old female lawyer . She want's me to put the wood on top of the cpt . there was none there before . When i explained the proper way it was done she said i don't know what i'm talking about .

She is one of those customers from Hell.

rusty is spot on----put a 1/2 piece of plywood where the guides go--a bigger piece is better than a smaller one---approx 2 inch square---have them pad around the block and then carpet over it---then you can choose if the guides go back on or not

Thanks guys. I think I'll cut the 1/2 or 3/4 inch plywood into approx. 4x4 inch so wood will be under my screws. Or maybe a rectangle. I have to measure when I am back at this rental house. I really appreciate the information.

the reason i suggested 1/2 is that almost all padding is about a half inch thick so when they carpet over the block only you will know there is a block there

I'm having the same problem with a old female lawyer . She want's me to put the wood on top of the cpt . there was none there before . When i explained the proper way it was done she said i don't know what i'm talking about .

She is one of those customers from Hell.
Hot glue the wood to the carpet. :D

Latest posts

Back