Problem with getting this piece in between two door jambs.

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cut the piece to fit and bow it so it will slip underneath the door jambs. Then you can use a pull bar to tap it into place. If it doesn’t go easy you may have to shave the bump on the groove side so it slips into place. Couple drops of super glue will make it permanent.

Cut the piece to fit and bow it so it will slip underneath the door jambs. Then you can use a pull bar to tap it into place. If it doesn’t go easy you may have to shave the bump on the groove side so it slips into place. Couple drops of super glue will make it permanent.
thank you CJ. i figured i was going to have to do that but didnt want to make the mistake of doing it without hearing from someone more experienced first

thank you CJ. i figured i was going to have to do that but didnt want to make the mistake of doing it without hearing from someone more experienced first
one more question for you... with doing this, would it be wiser to continue into the bathroom without installing a transition strip or should i put the strip in?

No transition strip always looks better. I tell people that you can always add one later if you need to but taking one out is not nearly as easy.
thanks for you help CJ. Funny avatar pic as well. Where do you say Craftsman tools line up in that scenario.

Gotta admit that Craftsman has upped their game from their lower standing that they recently held. Some of the guys I work with have been buying their cordless nail guns and I gotta admit that they aren’t bad. The Metabo cordless tools are pretty darn nice too. I’m a Dewalt guy myself but their cordless nail guns are yellow boat anchors.

To thin the lip like CJ mentioned, test on a scrap piece about a foot wide.
Make a small sanding block with a strip of sandpaper on the bottom side of your block. 320 might work ok.
Sand the tongue of your test piece with X number of strokes..... Start with three strokes and medium pressure.
With the first piece firm against the wall, give the mating piece a firm smack in an attempt to engage the T&G.
If it doesn't feel like it wants to move, sand it another 2 to 3 strokes and try again.
A little testing will allow you to get a fairly snug fit prior to gluing.

To thin the lip like CJ mentioned, test on a scrap piece about a foot wide.
Make a small sanding block with a strip of sandpaper on the bottom side of your block. 320 might work ok.
Sand the tongue of your test piece with X number of strokes..... Start with three strokes and medium pressure.
With the first piece firm against the wall, give the mating piece a firm smack in an attempt to engage the T&G.
If it doesn't feel like it wants to move, sand it another 2 to 3 strokes and try again.
A little testing will allow you to get a fairly snug fit prior to gluing.
thank you highup and CJ. I actually gave it one more go and just kept working on it and the piece finally slipped in on its own. Lesson learned about how to plan for these cuts for next time

Great to hear. Years ago, Wilsonart had a laminate flooring product, I think called Tap and Loc. All the planks were tapped together, no rocking.
There are so many LVP manufacturers out there now, it's always good to ask questions.

Some products you can pull or tap together without having to shave the lip. Some products will pull or tap together but you gotta have some angle to get them to lock in otherwise they won’t click together and you’ll likely end up damaging the T&G trying to beat them together. Just depends on the product you’re working with.

When I do have to shave the lip I put some super glue in the joint because if it slides together that easily it only makes sense that they will come apart just as easily. I’ll make my cuts and slip the pieces together to confirm that I like the fit and there are no peekaboos. I’ll then take the pieces apart, put a little super glue in there and reinstall the piece.

Just remember once you super glue something it’s a done deal. If you don’t like it you’re now replacing more than just one piece so checking the fit first is kinda important.

This is a industry wide practice great description

Latest posts

Back