Problems getting into a site.

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darol Wester

Professional
Pro
I've been fairly active lately on one of my boat/repair sites that is a great place for help. Starting last night I can no longer get into the forum page. I can bring up the page and click one item there and it locks up. Everybody else seems to be able to navigate it alright. I can get into the home page of the site, but can't do the forum.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

Your profile is corrupted for that site .

Instructions

Click the Windows "Start" button and select "Control Panel." Double-click the "User Accounts" icon. This opens a configuration dialog window.

Click the "User Account" selection and then click the "Advanced" tab. Click the "Advanced" button in this tab. Click "Users" in the left side of the window pane and click "New User" in the "Action" menu.

Enter a new user name. This can be a temporary or permanent name. Click the "Next" button and then "Create User Account" at the summary screen. This creates a new user name that will be used to save a backup of the corrupted profile's settings and documents.

Double-click the "My Computer" icon on your desktop. Navigate to the directory of the corrupted user profile at "C:\Documents and Settings\CorruptedProfile," where "CorruptedProfile" is the name of the corrupted profile.

Show hidden files by clicking the "Tools" menu and choose the "Folder Options" selection. Click the "View" tab and check the box that says "Show Hidden Files." Uncheck the checkbox that is labeled "Hide protected operating-system files." Click the "OK" button to save the settings.

Copy all the folders and files in the corrupted user-profile directory except for the following:
Ntuser.dat
Ntuser.dat.log
Ntuser.ini
Once copied, paste them to the new profile directory created previously. The new profile directory is located at "C:\Documents and Settings\NewUser," where "NewUser" is the name given to the new user created.

Reboot the computer for the changes to take effect. You can keep this username and use it in place of the corrupted profile, or you can re-create the original username.

Let me know if this fixes the problem . It happened to me a few years back .

Control Panel, User Accounts. When I click user accounts in that box, I get the Learn About page. There must be another route.

Also, how do you find, C:\Documents and Settings\CorruptedProfile in My Computer? I've looked and danged if I can find it in there. I'm obviously missing something here.

Noname.jpg

Last edited:
Corrupted files are files that no longer work properly. You can occasionally repair a corrupted file, though most corrupted files can't be repaired and should be deleted or replaced.

It's very rare for a file to become corrupted. The most common way it happens is when something goes wrong while a file is being saved. For example, the program saving the file might crash, or your computer might lose power just as the file is being saved.

C:\Documents and Settings\CorruptedProfile

Try Start > Search > all files and folders , and paste C:\Documents and Settings\CorruptedProfile > delete it

Try doing a system restore Darol .

I tried those already, but no go. I can't understand why the steps aren't as in the directions. I found the same directions on a windows site. Confusers are still living up to their name.

OK. On the second link, I can get to a place to delete my old account, but to do that I have to create another and make it the "administrator", like you have said, then make my original an "ordinary account" so I can delete it. But....when I log in with my new account, the desk top is not mine or any of my icons on it. It looks like the original desk top that came with the pc when new.

So, can I safely go to user accounts there and delete my old account?

I'm getting dizzy.:confused:

PS I did try sys restore in safe mode and no go.

you should be able to Darol , I would back up the info on the one you delete to a flash drive first though ,or create a new sys restore point .
I forget how i changed my profile . But i didn't have the problems you are having .

Have you tried other websites? Have you tried the site from a mobile device or alternate computer?

Try to ping the site. If it's the only site you cant get to, it may actually be down.

Windows key + R
type CMD
Hit Enter
Type PING <website name>

if you have a working internet connection, and the ping works, the site is up. If it doesn't then the site itself may be down and it's not your fault.

alternatively, if you want to try deleting the profile, just go into documents and settings off of c:\, or users if you've got win7, find your user, and copy only what you need from desktop folder, favorites folder, and documents folders.

You'd then make a new profile as admin, delete the old one and put back your stuff in the new profile.

Be sure to grab a program called unlocker, for any stubborn files locked into use by the confuser/spyware/virus.

Latest posts

Back