Protective Mats

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khq0660

I want to use mats to protect my engineered hardwood floor by the entry door and in front of the sink in the kitchen. I've read all sorts of conflicting info on the internet about whether rubber or latex backed floor mats will harm the surface of the floor by either scratching, chemically reacting with the finish, or by trapping moisture underneath, that I don't know what to believe.

What sort of mat is the best choice to keep moisture from getting onto the floor at these areas without ruining the floor?

Thanks.

I would consult your manufacturer's TECHNICAL department as to what they might allow without voiding the warranty. If you call the manufacturer or the retailer generally you are directed to SALES. No disrespect to those folks but this is a very technical question. Not all manufacturers offer adequate technical help over the phone but you might be able to get this info through email. It would also be a good way to document the conversation.

This may be a good place to start your research 🧐 https://carpet-rug.org/

This none-profit organization in Dolton Ga. Is an industry leader for guidance on products, installation and specifications.
Maybe if you’re lucky someone there will have some guidance with your concerns.

Good luck !

As a side note: I’ve been using a water proof vinyl backed carpet from Mannington as throw rugs for years over hardwood flooring and haven’t seen any discoloration or damage.
Scratch that ! Sorry 😢 senior moment,
Those throw rugs are on top of ceramic.

Last edited:
I totally get your confusion with all the conflicting info out there! For protecting your engineered hardwood floor, I'd recommend going with a mat that has a felt or fabric top and a non-rubber, non-latex backing. These types of mats are gentle on your floor and won't scratch or react with the finish.

Plus, they're great at trapping moisture without causing any issues underneath. Just make sure to check the manufacturer's recommendations for your specific flooring to be extra safe. Hope that helps!

If not rubber or latex, then what sort of backing? If I put down something that is cloth on top and cloth on bottom, then any water will just soak straight through the mat to the floor and the floor won't be protected from dampness at all.

I would consult your manufacturer's TECHNICAL department as to what they might allow without voiding the warranty. If you call the manufacturer or the retailer generally you are directed to SALES. No disrespect to those folks but this is a very technical question. Not all manufacturers offer adequate technical help over the phone but you might be able to get this info through email. It would also be a good way to document the conversation.
I messaged the company right away, when I got your post, and they still have not replied. I guess they don't intend to.

If not rubber or latex, then what sort of backing? If I put down something that is cloth on top and cloth on bottom, then any water will just soak straight through the mat to the floor and the floor won't be protected from dampness at all.

Products that contain Wool should absorb
the spills enough to keep them inside the fibers and then evaporate slowly over time. Did you try calling CRI ( the carpet and rug institute) for guidance ?

Products that contain Wool should absorb
the spills enough to keep them inside the fibers and then evaporate slowly over time. Did you try calling CRI ( the carpet and rug institute) for guidance ?
I'll try to figure out who CRI is and call them. Thanks

Latest posts

Back