Refinish hardwood or go over with laminate?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnMan

I know the answer should seem obvious but there are some factors here. I bought the house from a friend three years ago. I am moving cross country and am renting to another friend. I had the home listed for sale but the sale isn't progressing as rapidly as I need it to. Some time ago, I don't know how long, friend #1 laid carpet over the existing hardwood floors because they needed refinishing and he preferred carpet. The carpet is in definite need of replacement these days and friend #2 will rent the home but can't have carpet due to allergies. He has offered to contribute labor if I buy the material to replace the carpeting with laminate. We're talking three bedrooms and a living room totaling around 800'sq. Seems I'll be spending 2k - 2.5K on material depending on which laminate. In a few years I'll probably put the house back on the market. I understand laminate isn't the best for resale. Is it more cost effective to restore the wood or replace with Pergo, Hampton Bay...etc.?

Thanks,

-BunnMan

Latest posts

Back