Reversing strip for vinyl plank

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darol Wester

Professional
Pro
I've searched but came up empty on finding reversing strip for vinyl plank, like a 2" wide sticky strip. Remember how we reversed the original glued laminates with the added tongue.

Sure would make changing directions easier.

Like for Allure with the grip strip? You can order them or do what I do. Cut some off some planks, center it under the edge and go for it. :D

I've ran that through my noggin already, but thought I see, if in fact, there was something available already. I roofed houses in the early 70's, mostly comp, and we always made our hip and ridge material by cutting the shingles in three pieces at the keyways. Then, about 4 years later, a guy from the big city arrived and showed me that they make hip and ridge already cut. That's livin in the sticks..:rolleyes:

So that works fine for you E?

I've ran that through my noggin already, but thought I see, if in fact, there was something available already. I roofed houses in the early 70's, mostly comp, and we always made our hip and ridge material by cutting the shingles in three pieces at the keyways. Then, about 4 years later, a guy from the big city arrived and showed me that they make hip and ridge already cut. That's livin in the sticks..:rolleyes:

So that works fine for you E?

Yup, is this like just for going through doorways? If yes then you may want to read my newest article at floorbiz.com. ;) Click on installation Guru: http://www.floorbiz.com/BizForum/Forum.asp

You could also build one out of three strips on some double faced tape, then cut it to the appropriate width and center it under there so there's no gap. Or use some sheet vinyl maybe with super duper glue. That might take some practicin.

Last edited:
Actually, it was going through the door in the right direction. After through the door, the wall to the left dropped back several feet in the direction I came from. Kind of a goofy design, and I needed to head back in the other direction, if that makes sense??

Good article!! You own a suit????:eek: If I needed one I'd have to rent it. You look so mature.:D

Some peel and stick strips would sure be nice.

Yup, is this like just for going through doorways? If yes then you may want to read my newest article at floorbiz.com. ;) Click on installation Guru: http://www.floorbiz.com/BizForum/Forum.asp

You could also build one out of three strips on some double faced tape, then cut it to the appropriate width and center it under there so there's no gap. Or use some sheet vinyl maybe with super duper glue. That might take some practicin.

Great article.:cool:

Hmmm, I wonder if peel and stick tiles would be too thick to use. But then you have two different adhesives. Obviously any warranty would be voided. If you can call their warranty a warranty. :rolleyes:

Why are you guys still using that stuff. Youre not fans of the locking vinyl planks? They install as easy as laminate, maybe easier. Ive been using the planks from Berry/Alloc, theyre a night and day difference from the planks with the adhesive on them.

So, when I go to a customers job that has already purchased the material, I should tell them to take it back and get the vinyl locking planks???? Ya gotta roll with whatever there is when you get to the job. Never seen any of the locking planks here yet, but it'll eventually come around here in the sticks.

Wait a minute. You have customers that buy materials BEFORE you even measure!? How does that work? What if they buy something that wont work for whatever the application is?

Ken, many of my jobs come from builders that call me in when the time is right and I measure for materials. He handles it from there and when the job is ready I am called in. He and the customer works out the details. I'm not involved very often with that, and that's fine with me. If they have any questions, they can contact me and I'm happy to answer any of their questions to the best of my knowledge.

Would you recommend a product that you've never seen or installed?

Last edited:
Standard practice working for stores and builders to install things you have never seen before. Did that for years. Never got callbacks. Of course, they never would have hired me without being confident that I could do it all. Didn't have as many different products then, tho.

Ken, many of my jobs come from builders that call me in when the time is right and I measure for materials. He handles it from there and when the job is ready I am called in. He and the customer works out the details. I'm not involved very often with that, and that's fine with me. If they have any questions, they can contact me and I'm happy to answer any of their questions to the best of my knowledge.

Would you recommend a product that you've never seen or installed?

Nope, I wouldnt recommend a product that ive never seen/installed. That being said, it doesnt mean I wouldnt install it. I tell every customer that ever calls me with materials they already purchased that Id be happy to install them however I will not guarantee labor on them, especially if theyve purchased them online or from certain yellow retailers, lol. Even when the store I work for sells a job, I get paperwork telling me what the product that the customer picked out is. It gives me the chance to check on installation instructions or manuf. specs prior to installation.

I run the gamut from helping people pick the right flooring to installing anything you can order online. Not a problem looking up specs on anything these days. Done all vinyl planks from 2 part adhesives to click, peel n stick and that allure krap.
I'd rather do it my way than have some box store in employees spec'ing jobs for me.

Last edited:
Ken said:
Wait a minute. You have customers that buy materials BEFORE you even measure!? How does that work? What if they buy something that wont work for whatever the application is?

Half the calls I get are from people who already have the floor material and I'll install it upside down if that's what they want. Believe it or not, measuring for flooring is not rocket surgery...just basic geometry.

The most successful store in my area is 90% customer measure. I worked for them years ago and was always booked 6 weeks ahead. Only came up short a couple times.

Half the calls I get are from people who already have the floor material and I'll install it upside down if that's what they want. Believe it or not, measuring for flooring is not rocket surgery...just basic geometry.

Just measured one last week where an engineer from Raytheon was 160 sf over on a 500 sf job. :eek: Most people are able to figure length times width.

The store that I work for requires customers to have us measure the jobsite ourselves. We go out and measure, take moisture readings, put our materials/labor list together and send it into the store. They work it up and sell it to the customer with whatever I tell them to charge for and whatever materials I tell them I need. Thats just what Im used to. Ive had a few customers order flooring somewhere else but I usually do the measure first and give them a list of what I need to do the job.

Latest posts

Back