Seaming Carpet / Pile in same direction

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skelow401

So I have a noob question. Lets say I have a 15 x 15 room. I am going to install 12' carpet. If I order 12' x 19' carpet how can I cut the carpet and seam it and have the pile go in the same direction? If the pile direction is up in the 19' direction then it will be either left or right if I cut off a piece and seam it? Right? Do I need 2 pieces of 12' x 16'?

You don't say if it is a patterned carpet or not but I would order enough to make the fill in 3 pieces. Carpet is not allows 12 ft wide. so if it was me I'd figure it like this:
12 x 15'3"
12 x 5'3"

total 12 x 20,6"

Or find carpet that is 15 ft wide.

Daris

Its not patterned. Its a softspring carpet from Home Depot. Its a speckled color. Wow that's crazy! I thought about doing that but that seemed like a lot of work. Is that how a professional would do it? Seam the 3 pieces and then seam that to the larger piece?

Its not patterned. Its a softspring carpet from Home Depot. Its a speckled color. Wow that's crazy! I thought about doing that but that seemed like a lot of work. Is that how a professional would do it? Seam the 3 pieces and then seam that to the larger piece?

That's how it is done. You could do it with the 12 x 4 and make the fill piece with 4 pieces also.

My way if the carpet ran under 12 you would have enough to do it, plus you will have a rug left over for repairs or just a rug. But rusty is right.
I was taught no more than 3 pieces per room. Look at it this way. Seams are considered flaws, how many flaws do you want?

Daris

My way if the carpet ran under 12 you would have enough to do it, plus you will have a rug left over for repairs or just a rug. But rusty is right.
I was taught no more than 3 pieces per room. Look at it this way. Seams are considered flaws, how many flaws do you want?

Daris

I would rather do it your way, Daris. But most around here are cheapskates.

Daris
Yup. Things to consider.
Carpet is manufactured a length, so seams should be made parallel to it's length....... carpet isn't some fuzzy stuff that you just 'stick together' in a haphazard way.
Is the room actually 15 feet wide? .........or just under, or just over 15 feet wide? Carpet may come up to 2" under the stated 12' wide advertised width. Measuring is critical, especially with the evenly rounded numbers you mentioned........... not often does a person see such perfect numbers.

If the carpet is a type that is expensive and difficult to seam, you might end up needing 23 to 30 feet. Lots of waste, but a better installation...... it all depends on the job, material, and expectations.

Here's a non-scale drawing. A, B and C are the fills, the yellow is scrap.
The short seams, seams that are cut across the width of the carpet do not turn out as nice as seams cut along the length direction of the carpet.......... so the less seams the better.......... always. Extra carpet is beneficial for repairs or as a runner or for a small area rug.
Again, the end result will guide you to what is needed. More carpet, less seams is ideal............... cost is the second consideration if I was offering a customer the options.

Carpet cuts colored.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a non-scale drawing. A, B and C are the fills, the yellow is scrap.
The short seams, seams that are cut across the width of the carpet do not turn out as nice as seams cut along the length direction of the carpet.......... so the less seams the better.......... always. Extra carpet is beneficial for repairs or as a runner or for a small area rug.
Again, the end result will guide you to what is needed. More carpet, less seams is ideal............... cost is the second consideration if I was offering a customer the options.

Nice picture and post Hi. I need to learn how to do that with the picture.

Daris

carpet has a direction----back in the day they used to put arrows on the back-----which direction is not nearly as important as that all the peices go in the same direction---if neccesary draw arrows on it---it aint paint my good man---its a shame that they aint got people that wouldnt do it for you for a cash stipend

Latest posts

Back