Self Leveling Compound

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darol Wester

Professional
Pro
I've got a GC that's in need of some of this, which I've never used before. Not many slabs up this way. What product would you recommend for this? He's got a drop of 3/4 inches in 8 feet and 23 feet long.

Oh yea, read the reviews, lol. Note they say how fast it sets and does not flow. Well....... I bet they didn't buy the primer for one. And # 2 tip for the day is use cold cold water. I bring ice with me and chill my water down. Flows like pee. :)

Thanks you kind sir. He's headed down from Oregon as we speak, so he can grab some up in Medford. I'll have to go up and work with him so I can see how this stuff works and get 'ejacated'.;)

You may have to call them . the number is on their site .
Best to talk with the tech department and see which of many of their products is best for you . they will ship.

Ardex is great I have to admit. But down in these parts you get what they have. And lots of times they (Big D's) has nothing or not enough. What I like about Lowes is it is always in stock. Plus the primer. The primer goes a long ways. Big D's flooring supply only carries like a gallon of primer. Lowes carries quarts. One quart does enough sq ft to handle several bags. I'd never use a gallon without it going bad.

Just read the instructions on the primer and do NOT water the compound down like those idiots are doing on the reviews. Thats where problems arise.

I've really only used the Ardex K-15 and then just a handful of tmes well spread out over the years. Make sure nothing's on the slab that will impair the bond/bite to the surface. Typically that means shot blasting old scabby adhesives and sealers off or at least buzzing them off with with the diamond wheel on a grinder/vac. Prime it well and sometimes it needs two coats.

Mix with EXACTLY the right amount of water for just the right amount of time and do the successive pours as rapidly as possible so each batch blends into the previously mixed unit before it's settled and beginning to harden. The faster you can mix, dump and smooth out the less wavy the finished product will be. It's doesn't completely self level---------ESPECIALLY if you can't get the product mixed and poured as one continuous "puddle" so it kind of pulls together and settles flat.

Much bigger size jobs really need the pump for the reason I just described. My shop had the pump but we never used it. Coincidentally, the shop owner just sold the pump and a few months later we were pouring about 500 bags of K-15. Man, did we need that pump.

Your job sounds like two guys could easily handle it. Get a mixing bucket large enough to mix 2 55-pound bags at a clip.

Not a wheel barrow, but a barrel or something with wheels on it would help get'r there especially if your going to mix more than one bag at a time. The stuff is heavy. Plus your going to need a powerful drill or you'll not be able to mix it and burn a small one up.

I've got a 1/2 in angle drill. That oughta take care of business. So are you mixing it in a barrel and just dumping it out on the floor or dipping it out?

I just use 5 gallon buckets. But for a larger pour a garbage can with wheels on it would be superb. I dump.They make a special shaped paddle, but I just use one thats made for grout or thinset.

I have an Ardex tool kit. Its designed so that you can roll the barrel to your destination. Wheels are much easier though especially if you have 1100# of material to move like you do.

Make sure your perimeter is sealed, doorways dammed and wide cracks are filled so you don't lose material. Start your pour in the deep end and use level marks on the wall as a gauge. Baseball cleats are a nice option if you have 'em. Have plenty of water on hand, you don't want to waste time fetching. Open all your bags in preparation to avoid wasting time.

_612u0-QLYv1a-QI3VNkEjZGAx5KxsKOIYg58awAbo4=w800-h600-no

Last edited by a moderator:
How would a wheel barrow work for mixing? Would a blender paddle on a drill be the best for mixing?

I wouldn't try that but of course it's possible. I've only ever mixed in the "kit" buckets that come with the right kind of paddles, spreaders, gauges and such. The paddle isn't very critical. You need to pay some attention to the RPMs and as mentioned it has to be a heavy duty drill motor.

You REALLY want to set up to mix two bags at a clip. I didn't do the math but someone mentioned over half a ton of SLC.

I'm just repeating/confirming what's been said above.

LOTS of water READY before you begin mixing. There's NO dicking around fetching this and that once you start. It's really ONLY self leveling to the extent you can make it ONE continuous pour.

wheels can help depending on where you can feasibly set up your mixing station.

I have the oval paddle, that's is what they want you to use . Sucker coast me $60.00 last year . Used it to mix the K 56. That Blue barrel is the one to use .

Latest posts

Back