setting toilet

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kd89

Im doing my first toilet pull an reset on a job of my own. Its on concrete. I tore out glue down carpet that was not under the toilet. Should I use a regular wax ring a XL ring with a regular on top or I hear people use rubber rings on concrete. When I pulled it it had a regular wax ring that was old and they had a small leak. Thanks for any help

I use a thicker wax ring combined with a standard. I assume you'll be raising the height of the floor with new floor covering?

images

Last edited:
I think the funnel type flanges are awesome but their installation requires a little more prep than I care to perform.

images

Yeah im gonna run the ceramic like the first picture. I usually hear people say they use the XL ring with a standard on top. Thanks

Yeah im gonna run the ceramic like the first picture. I usually hear people say they use the XL ring with a standard on top. Thanks

To avoid shifting of the gaskets I found it a good idea to meld them to each other and the closet flange.

P9180040.JPG

I also like to use the old nuts and washers to secure the johnnie bolts to the flange. Its no fun when you're trying to position the assembly and one of the bolts moves on ya.

P9180041a.jpg

Here's one of those funnel gaskets on a toilet I pulled recently. It was adhered to the porcelain, I don't know what with but it was strong.

P3230311.JPG

FloorMaven I sure hope that pink crapper isn't one in your house.

I gleaned the first two pics from the web, they aren't mine. I think the pinkish hue is probably some sort of reflection.

Even if it were in my house why would it offend you?

Last edited:
That's actually not rust but the old wax. I cleaned it off with some naphtha an hit it with the scraper. I played the tile last night and have to grout it with my favorite, spectralock , tonight

Don't do like i did years ago setting my first one. I used the bolts to pull it down in place before I sat my big keister down and wiggled around. Turning the nuts all I heard was a big pop. Broke the flange off the crapper. Now I had to get a new crapper.

Daris

I have set hundreds of toilets. Most good plumbers will tell you NEVER stack rings. Use a hard spacer made for this purpose. Our HD has 2 thicknesses and most plumbing supply houses have them in varying thicknesses. Here they are less than 3.00 apiece.

Butcher said:
Most good plumbers will tell you NEVER stack rings. .

Are you quoting from a Gallup poll?
Here's a good article related to options. Interesting comments on what is to code.
http://allthumbsdiy.com/plumbing/toilet-flange-too-low-double-wax-ring-or-extender-spacer-kit

I think the example flange in the article is 1 1/2" below the surface and is much too low to stack rings but i found a double stack works great on one that is flush or slightly below. Important to make sure the rings stay aligned and caulk the base of the toilet to keep from shifting. I've read some articles where plumbers suggest that if you're going to stack, to avoid using wax rings with the poly flanges.
The flanges supposedly create excessive back-splashing that eventually wear down the wax.

The regular extender that Hd sells requires a sealant be used between, especially to stop sewer gas. They do make extenders with gaskets but with all extenders the closet flange must be pristine. Usually you're looking at grinding prep to make that happen.

No one wants a leak but I think if you're aware of all the options you have a better chance of success, and I never say never.

I double up all the time if the flange is too low. Seen flanges buried in the slab, wonder how they do that?

On one cork job I didn't feel like putting together the new toilets (major PITA) so the owner called a plumber, he bailed as soon as he saw all the new flooring. I guess his insurance was used up or sumpin.

Double up, and use a gallon or two of sealant around the flange.

Latest posts

Back