Side Job

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floorist

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Pro
Just about every installer that I have known has had a side job, either for fun or profit. I have had a woodworking shop. Made furniture to sell and toys to donate. What was/is your side job or hobby?

I am Don Adam's grandson........... I keep an eye out for KAOS wherever it lurks. The pay sucks, but the work is funny.

Last edited:
Just about every installer that I have known has had a side job, either for fun or profit. I have had a woodworking shop. Made furniture to sell and toys to donate. What was/is your side job or hobby?

For I while I tried "trading" stocks, bonds and stock options. I made a little money at it. Way too little to sell the tools. It's a game you have to either go all in and make a career of in my opinion or just stay the hell out of. I remember "going home" with WAY too much...........liability. You'd wake up in a panic and sweat the market open. I lost a months wages on a bum trade once like that. Live and learn.

You see, a DAYTRADER........by definition closes out all his trades by the close of the market THAT DAY. So he doesn't "go home" with any stock/bond/option/futures position. That's the nature of the beast. "Swing trading" is slightly less stressful as you're wagering on smaller size positions, therefore risking much less hoping to capitalize on still smaller overall moves in the marker but over weeks and months instead of MINUTES and HOURS. I did do a small amount of daytrading but I'm really way too risk averse and at that time I had the kids to worry about so I wasn't going to gamble the families security. It's all about risk management, taking money off the table but more than anything it's TIME spent studying and understanding what's moving a market and getting on the right side of the trades.

Easy to explain. Much harder to do. Like a Little League coach I worked with used to YELL at the kids........DONT swing at the BAD pitches......Swing at the GOOD pitches. We'd all be Ted Williams if it were just that simple.

I was always told, don't gamble more than you can afford to lose. That's why I don't gamble. I can afford to lose nothing.

Or as they say, when I started I had nothing, still have most of it.

I worked as a carpenter before, and during this trade, so I can resort back to it when times are slow....like right now. So, next week I'm doing a little bath remodel with new cabinet, sink and toilet with a new floor t'boot. Will be connecting one of those under mounted sinks to a marble top, which I haven't had the pleasure of before, so something new. I've done plenty of plumbing, so when the freezes come, I've got plenty of repairs to do too. It all brings in money. It's nice for a change too.

I was always told, don't gamble more than you can afford to lose. That's why I don't gamble. I can afford to lose nothing.

Or as they say, when I started I had nothing, still have most of it.

Our California State Lotto advertising slogan is, "You cant win if you don't play."

I always though that was hysterical.

"Trading" stocks can certainly be the equivalent to gambling for some, but not all. There's a good living to made doing it if you're cut out for it. But don't think it's easy. If it were easy everyone would do it. I sure tried.

Latest posts

Back