Transitions for vinyl plank

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darol Wester

Professional
Pro
I'll be starting a vinyl plank job that circumvents a staircase and kitchen wall and comes back together. Never ran into that before. It then continues on down a hall and does a laundry and bath. The overall area is 23' by 36'. Should I be putting an expansion gap somewhere after I bring the material back together again, similar to laminate?

I've looked but don't see much offered for transition strips.

Also, what being used at tubs....rubber covebase?

I'll be starting a vinyl plank job that circumvents a staircase and kitchen wall and comes back together. Never ran into that before. It then continues on down a hall and does a laundry and bath. The overall area is 23' by 36'. Should I be putting an expansion gap somewhere after I bring the material back together again, similar to laminate?

I've looked but don't see much offered for transition strips.

Also, what being used at tubs....rubber covebase?

I seen flat metals used? :) Is it a wood plank look? You could sand down the leg of a T if it is. Hmmm, I used some rubber transition strips once but fergot what ones I used. I think it was a reducer of some type.

is this full spread glue down vinyl plank? in that case no expansion is required ---transitions are the same as sheet vinyl and tubs are just white silicone---if on the other hand this is the floating vinyl plank---treat it like a laminate--expansion gaps are a must--undercut casings---last time i put in the orange box version--allure i think---no matching transitions were available---laminate transitions are too thick and there is total lack of technical data on the instructions as to the size limits before transitions are required----metals can be used as long as a peice of wood just a bit thicker than the vinyl is nailed in first--the most effective is metal track with a vinyl insert but not every customer likes the look---now floor muffin will tell you every thing i said is wrong---good luck

I seen flat metals used? :) Is it a wood plank look? You could sand down the leg of a T if it is. Hmmm, I used some rubber transition strips once but fergot what ones I used. I think it was a reducer of some type.

When you say "flat bar" are you referring to binder bar? That would work if I could fine some 1 1/2 again and shim it up. Haven't seen it in years.

is this full spread glue down vinyl plank? in that case no expansion is required ---transitions are the same as sheet vinyl and tubs are just white silicone---if on the other hand this is the floating vinyl plank---treat it like a laminate--expansion gaps are a must--undercut casings---last time i put in the orange box version--allure i think---no matching transitions were available---laminate transitions are too thick and there is total lack of technical data on the instructions as to the size limits before transitions are required----metals can be used as long as a peice of wood just a bit thicker than the vinyl is nailed in first--the most effective is metal track with a vinyl insert but not every customer likes the look---now floor muffin will tell you every thing i said is wrong---good luck

It is floating. We've used the track before and as you said, they're not very happy with it. Don't know why the manufacturers don't have products for this. Air heads. Looks as though it's been left for us to hassle with. So what's new.:rolleyes:

When you say "flat bar" are you referring to binder bar? That would work if I could fine some 1 1/2 again and shim it up. Haven't seen it in years.

It is floating. We've used the track before and as you said, they're not very happy with it. Don't know why the manufacturers don't have products for this. Air heads. Looks as though it's been left for us to hassle with. So what's new.:rolleyes:

Inspected lots of floaters run all the way through manufactured homes that failed due to no breaks. You would think they would own up to the piss poor install guidelines. I did do a blog on this very issue recently.

Last edited:
Oh the Multi-trim. You can do the same thing with a regular T by taking down the leg like I mentioned before.

Latest posts

Back