Trowelable Wood Filler For Select Hickory- Need Pro's to chime in

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suprchgtnt

I'm current in the process of installing roughly 1600sf of select hickory flooring in my home. I did a considerable amt of research before undertaking this effort and had come up with a product that I thought I'd use to skim coat the floor before the final sanding. The trouble is the product I selected - "Bona Mix & Fill Plus" does not seem to be carried by any US vendors, or at none that I've called thus far.
I really want to mix my own so I can match my flooring- got a ton of time in this thing and I want it to be perfect.

My question to the pro's on the site is .....
Is there a product that I can mix with my saw dust to create my own trowelable filler? If not, What do you folks use on your hickory installations.

Thanks in advance

As far as full trowel fillers go, I'm still impressed with timber mates. That's what I would use if I had left very many large gaps otherwise, fix wood patch works well for nail holes & such. I get that at lowes. Lowes also has a new filler by 3m that I liked. The overall color was really close. Again that is a spot filler.

Can u share some pics, so we can get a better idea of what u are dealing with, also how u plan to sand, stain and finish the floor

Thanks, tim

Thanks for all the responses and suggestions. Just to follow up on a few

@EliteFloors- I was not able to find Timber Mates in Hickory, but I did see several other species. Are you suggesting I substitute one or several of those?

@FloorMaven I'll have to play around with that this afternoon. Although, I'm a little concerned about covering most of my upper level with a flammable liquid.

Ernesto@ This may be a winner. Going to give them a call this afternoon.

Also, Any other tips you guys could offer to a newbie would be a huge help.

photo.jpg

suprchgtnt said:
@FloorMaven I'll have to play around with that this afternoon. Although, I'm a little concerned about covering most of my upper level with a flammable liquid.

You can certainly concoct a waterborne filler like the bona but after all the effort you put into the floor are u really gonna finish with a lightweight water based finish?

For hickory floors I use oak filler on the dark pieces and ash, maple, pine on the light...no one color will work on hickory.

Latest posts

Back