Velcro carpet

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floorist

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Pro
Just curious, do they still make the carpet that goes down with Velcro? I had someone ask about it and whether it was available as carpet tiles.

Never heard of it .

It was a 3M product. Perimeter the room with the Hook and loop tape and all seams. Bump carpet to the tape then sprinkle it with warm water. Wait a few hours and come back and stretch out the wrinkles. I never laid any but had to know how for CFI. My stepson laid a bunch in Detroit at the Renaissance Center. The object was if something happened to a piece you could lift it off the tape and lay in a new piece. He said they used to set patches wherever they set coffee pots in conference rooms. I used to have a piece of it and the tape. If I can find it I'll take pictures and post them.
Oh the name of the product was Tacfast. It wasn't called Velcro because that was a trademark so it was hook and loop.

Daris

We fairly recently used a velcro walk off mat carpet tile system.

It was a 6" or so tape with a primer that has either the hooks or the loops and grids out on the slab. The backing also had either hooks or loops. We were using them in the entries of Babies R Us and Rite Aid stores if I recall correctly.

My uncle was a sales rep for Velcro in New England and it was my dad who first told me he had mentioned working on the carpet system when it was first being developed------at least as far as Velcro's version.

I never saw any of the broadloom

I thought it would be idea for residential high end wall to wall woven products if the end user wanted the rug say in the winter and then removed for summer. I'd bet you could make it yourself. You can buy super velcro in rolls.

It was a 3M product. Perimeter the room with the Hook and loop tape and all seams. Bump carpet to the tape then sprinkle it with warm water. Wait a few hours and come back and stretch out the wrinkles. I never laid any but had to know how for CFI. My stepson laid a bunch in Detroit at the Renaissance Center. The object was if something happened to a piece you could lift it off the tape and lay in a new piece. He said they used to set patches wherever they set coffee pots in conference rooms. I used to have a piece of it and the tape. If I can find it I'll take pictures and post them.
Oh the name of the product was Tacfast. It wasn't called Velcro because that was a trademark so it was hook and loop.

Daris

Thanks for the info . Still never even heard of it .
Do they still make it, or did it go by the wayside?

Here are the pictures of tacfast-hook and loop carpet.

Daris

P1010001.jpg

P1010003.jpg

P1010004.jpg

P1010006.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's been a long week. With my father in law passing away last Sunday, then my wife was with her mother all week and the funeral was Saturday. Finally got her home about 8 30 last night. I'm tired. Had to work on my van today and bid on a job. I took care of my 18 year old autistic son and babysat two grandkids every afternoon. I need a day off.

Latest posts

Back