Vinyl Plank

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernesto

Professional
Pro
I am loving vinyl plank. Gimmie the plank, click, pre-glued edge, gluedown plank any dang plank. Even peel and stick plank.

I am loving vinyl plank. Gimmie the plank, click, pre-glued edge, gluedown plank any dang plank. Even peel and stick plank.
Don't do anything residential and so there's virtually zero laminate, peel and stick or "click" crap but for me as well. Vinyl planks are easy money.

About as easy as it gets in our racket.

Yea, commercial is all glue down. Touchy 2 part adhesives and or wet set. I fix those all the time. If done correctly it's not problem. Problem is guys tend to let the adhesive get away from them and trowel to much and it skins over.

Yea, commercial is all glue down. Touchy 2 part adhesives and or wet set. I fix those all the time. If done correctly it's not problem. Problem is guys tend to let the adhesive get away from them and trowel to much and it skins over.

yeah, I don't love some of those watery, acrylics that don't have much tack and blow off in 10-15 minutes. I've seen many of those jobs open up where the guys couldn't get into them nearly fast enough and didn't have the common sense to slow down the gluing and speed up the install. They often neglect rolling promptly with a 100 lb. roller.

It's not VCT but you can't tell some people that. When they walk away everything looks fine.

yeah, I don't love some of those watery, acrylics that don't have much tack and blow off in 10-15 minutes. I've seen many of those jobs open up where the guys couldn't get into them nearly fast enough and didn't have the common sense to slow down the gluing and speed up the install. They often neglect rolling promptly with a 100 lb. roller.

It's not VCT but you can't tell some people that. When they walk away everything looks fine.

Same goes for some rubber adhesives. I see trowel lines under it I should not see. There's a couple fortune 500 stores I get to go fix often because of that. Lucky me. The stores will not replace and would just rather have someone come in and fix the problems as they pop up. I love it cus I can bill at $200 an hour. Get in before they open and fitz it, get out before customers come in. But you really have to have all your shyt ready to go. If you have to pull up a 4 x 6 ft area because it is lifting and is a trip hazard you cannot freak out because of what you see and call someone. lol The guys who set me up to do this ship everything I need before I get there.

Here is one, whats happening inside, and whats happening directly outside.

Ulta August 1 07 016.jpg

Ulta August 1 07 008.jpg

Last edited:
Same goes for some rubber adhesives. I see trowel lines under it I should not see. There's a couple fortune 500 stores I get to go fix often because of that. Lucky me. The stores will not replace and would just rather have someone come in and fix the problems as they pop up. I love it cus I can bill at $200 an hour. Get in before they open and fitz it, get out before customers come in. But you really have to have all your shyt ready to go. If you have to pull up a 4 x 6 ft area because it is lifting and is a trip hazard you cannot freak out because of what you see and call someone. lol The guys who set me up to do this ship everything I need before I get there.

Here is one, whats happening inside, and whats happening directly outside.
Where I see planks and rubber failing it's usually just not enough cleaning up of the substrate prior to prep and glue. It's only getting harder each year to get fairly paid for extra prep. So if you're piece working for a shop that you know doesn't want to pay any extra------------?

I can only guess at the mind set. Well, not really. We have elements of the same mindset with union guys. It's still a competitive racket even working hourly. The shops all tend to keep the fastest guys busy and especially give them the overtime and better jobs. So cutting corners is pretty common in the world too. You just have to know when to say when.

I tend to err on the side of over prep and losing contracts because the superintendent refuses to sign for the extra. But I still have to slop over some floors I'd prefer to spend more time prepping. Just this week I called the shop owner about laying over multi-purpose residue. The GC did his own scrape-way and minor prep. There was no heat in the building to boot. 8mm rubber sheet 6' goods in epoxy. JUST LAY IT! Sand it and go. He looked at the job last week and it was fine. Whatever bro. It's not like we have a blank check.

Last edited:
Depends on what you are doing, I guess. Big open areas with peel-and-stick edges are fast and easy. But . . . we've had an older home recently that had a lot of halls, and trying to trim these thick vinyl's around the intricate (again, older) door mouldings is a pain in the rear. All your speed in the room can quickly be for nought when you have a ton of trim work. Tin snips are handy. . .

Depends on what you are doing, I guess. Big open areas with peel-and-stick edges are fast and easy. But . . . we've had an older home recently that had a lot of halls, and trying to trim these thick vinyl's around the intricate (again, older) door mouldings is a pain in the rear. All your speed in the room can quickly be for nought when you have a ton of trim work. Tin snips are handy. . .

I use an undercut saw. Why make it so hard on yourself.

Because I'm not allowed to use power tools?

No, seriously, that's a good question with a good answer. It's what the housing authority wanted. It was a historic home, so on the one hand we are not allowed to cut any wood. But on the other hand, we can put down vinyl flooring. Yeah, that's historic.

In the northeast, we have to deal with stupid non-sensical stuff like this, and I don't even think twice about it. On the other hand, we aren't in California where wood has to come with a warning label on it (yeah, it might cause splinters).

You said peel n stick. Peel n stick needs a latex primer. Even though when asked, the LL guys said "not really". But the instructions did. :rolleyes:

Well... I've watched vinyl plank being installed and I saw them PEEL the paper off and STICK it together. So..... I'm simple minded that way.:D Dang hicks. What are ya gonna do with'em?

Last edited:
Name that floor for us eh? Is it pre-glued edge like allure of actual peel n stick?

Latest posts

Back