Vinyl tile help!!!

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pauls

I am going to replace our flooring in the kitchen and purchased 12x24 Trafficmaster Ceramica vinyl tiles.

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/floori...lient-tile-flooring-30-sq-ft-case-167038.html

They are peel and stick with rounded edges for grouting (which I intend to do). I currently have a sheet of vinyl or linoleum on the floor now. My dilemma is.... Do I rip it up and clean up the plywood for direct application? Or do I go right over it? It is very well adhered to plywood and I would prefer to go over top. However, if I go over current flooring, should I use an embossing leveler? It is very slightly embossed. I know I could prob get some Luan and put it down but it's more work, more money, and I could run in to a height prob with connecting rooms and kitchen counters and dishwasher. Thoughts?

Here are some pictures to help.

photo.jpg

photo2.jpg

I hear many go right over the existing vinyl with no problems, provided the existing flooring is intact, not peeling or separating, and you have removed any wax finish and roughed the old floor a bit before applying the new flooring. Keep us posted!

I should add that if this new flooring is going to be grouted, you need to check for any flexing in the existing floor substrate because any flexing will cause the grout to crack, unless the grout is the new flexing (non-cracking) type.

Last edited:
So if it were u would you use an embossing leveler to fill the groves in the existing vinyl?

Good idea roughing up the surface a bit to help with adhesion.

As far as the flexing.... I just screwed the floor down to the studs (thru the flooring) and wow... No more creaking. I plan on also installing some blocking to help. There is a special grout I need to use with this type of flooring but I'm not sure about the product details yet.

Be careful roughing up the old vinyl. Depending on it's age, it could contain asbestos.

The house was built in 1999 so I don't know if still using asbestos or not but after reading manufacturer's install guide I think I will skip the sanding....

"Many successful installations have been made over existing vinyl floors. In such cases the existing tile or sheet vinyl floor must be securely adhered to the subfloor, smooth, and free of surface de- fects and wax. Loose or damaged areas should be patched or re- placed. Do not sand existing vinyl floors under any circumstances."

I don't think I have any wax on the floor.

if it was me and it was my house i would put down a layer of subfloor---if height was a problem i would rip up a layer of subfloor along with the sheet vinyl first---this is only as good as what you stick it too---most sheet vinyl has a cushioned layer to make it softer for the end user ---this makes it less than ideal as a subfloor for anything really--- i understand your mind is made up and you are gonna do what you want---and its not like its gonna be catastrophic or anything---the tiles wont float up and chase you around the house---unless of course you built on the ancient indian burial ground---but what you really want is hard smooth and flat---with that in place i would still use another layer of clear thin spread adhesive in addition to the glue on the peel and stick--may the tebow be with you

If your existing vinyl floor is well stuck and not surface damaged (rips, lifting seams, etc.) you simply need to skimcoat with a quality floor leveller like Chemrex or Featherlite ~ but a SKIM coat, not pouring a new floor. All you want to do is smooth out the embossing and sealing the top layer of the vinyl for a superior bond of the tile adhesive. The new LVT acrylic gouts are reasonably flexible and shouldn't crack unless there is tremendous movement in the floor. Be careful grouting, the acrylic grouts set up amazingly fast so just do a small area at a time (about a square yard). Be sure to use a microfibre cloth for the last wash, it will get all the residue.

The existing looks like its still in good condistion to go over it. Dont know if you will not be even with the wood if that will be a issue for you then concider taking up the existing although if glued then this will leave paper residue on the ply your new tiles will not stock correctly.

Last edited:
if it was me and it was my house i would put down a layer of subfloor---if height was a problem i would rip up a layer of subfloor along with the sheet vinyl first---this is only as good as what you stick it too---most sheet vinyl has a cushioned layer to make it softer for the end user ---this makes it less than ideal as a subfloor for anything really--- i understand your mind is made up and you are gonna do what you want---and its not like its gonna be catastrophic or anything---the tiles wont float up and chase you around the house---unless of course you built on the ancient indian burial ground---but what you really want is hard smooth and flat---with that in place i would still use another layer of clear thin spread adhesive in addition to the glue on the peel and stick--may the tebow be with you

Im still laughing. Off subject but if u hant seen u have to Watch this

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back