Want to get rid of Mcafee

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardsurfaceguy

My daughter got a new laptop for Christmas. The Mcaffe expired today.

My laptop had Mcaffe but I replaced it with Avast.

I remember it being a real pain to make sure all traces of Mcaffe are gone.

Can you help?

You can go into Control Panel, click on Add/Remove Programs and find Mcafee there and uninstall it. Then go to Start, then Search, and click on All files and folders, inter Mcaffee in the box, then hit search. Whatever it finds there you can also delete.

Nick will have a good set of directions to check in the registry for any thing left behind that might cause any conflict with the new program. I also believe all this should be done prior to installing the new Avast.

Good move by the way.:)

To look in the registry on Windows XP. (Vista will be different probably.)

Click Start > run > type "regedit" into the box > ok .. click the
plus on hkey current user > + on software > look for
McAfee and delete it ..
Click Plus on local machine > software > McAfee > delete ..

Now they may or may not be there , if not, the removal tools did their job , if
they are there , your machine will be clean of McAfee after you delete them.

Be careful and do ONLY what's mentioned above while you're in the registry.

Last edited:
Don't know if it makes a difference but this computer has Windows 7 which I personally don't like. Mine has XP.

1] Go to control panel > add & remove > Remove anything that has to do with Mac a not free > reboot.

2] Run the Mac removal tool . If it wants you to reboot , do so .

Download and run MCPR.exe:

1. Download the removal tool from http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe.
2. Click Save, and save the file to a folder on your computer.
3. Navigate to the folder where the file was saved.
4. Ensure that all McAfee windows are closed.
5. Double-click MCPR.exe to run the removal tool.

NOTE: Windows Vista users must right-click MCPR.exe and select Run as Administrator.

6. Restart your computer after receiving the message CleanUp Successful.
Your McAfee product will not be fully removed until the system is restarted.

If the message Cleanup Unsuccessful is displayed, do the following to view and save your MCPR log files for analysis by Technical Support:

1. On the Cleanup Unsuccessful notification dialog, click View Logs.
Your troubleshooting logs open in Notepad window.
2. Click File, Save As, and save the file to your Desktop. Name the file MCPR_date.txt (for example, MCPR_Jan10_08.txt).

3 ] Now go to Start --> My Computer --> Program Files. Right click on each McAfee folder and select Delete.
While you are in Program Files go to the Common Files folder at or near the top of the Program Files window. Delete every McAfee folder there. And, again, restart your PC.
Go to Start --> Search --> All Files and Folders --> More Advanced Options. Check each option except for "Case sensitive"
Now type in McAfee and delete each McAfee folder from the search results (Again, right click, choose "Delete"). One more time, restart your PC.
Repeat step 5 except type McAfee in the "Search" box.
The next step is trickier: go into the Registry.
First thing to do is Back up the Registry. . But suffice it to say that the presence of uninstalled security software in the Registry can conflict with newly installed security software and cause system freezes. So can folders of "uninstalled" programs for that matter.
Once again, go to Start, then click on "Run". Type in "regedit"
Go to the top of the Regedit window. Click (+) next to HKEY_CURRENT_USER. Go down the thread until you see Software. Click on Software and scroll down the thread until you see McAfee. Right click on McAfee and choose "Delete".
From there go down to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and repeat step 3. Restart your PC.
Click (+) next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, now: Click (+) next to Software, Click (+) next to Microsoft, Click (+) next to Windows and Click (+) next to CurrentVersion.
Select the Run folder. Right-click and delete each McAfee entry you see (if present). Restart your PC.
That should completely eradicate McAfeeAntivirus from your system!

Download HJT

[ame]http://download.cnet.com/Trend-Micro-HijackThis/3000-8022_4-10227353.html[/ame]

and send me a log file After you install Avast so I can make sure you don’t have any orphan files left in the registry .

Here is a list of entry’s you may see.
McAfee Security Center
McAfee VirusScan
McAfee Personal Firewall Plus
McAfee Privacy Service
McAfee SpamKiller
McAfee Wireless Network Security
McAfee SiteAdvisor
McAfee Data Backup
McAfee Network Manager
McAfee Easy Network
McAfee AntiSpyware

After we get avast ,and ZA on and I know you are clean , Download OTL and delete all the system restore points , and create a new clean one that don’t have McAfee in them.

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/index.php?autocom=downloads&showfile=187

Run *OTL*

* Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following:

Code:
---------
:OTL
:Commands
[purity]
[emptytemp]
[EMPTYFLASH]
[CLEARALLRESTOREPOINTS]
[Reboot]
---------

* Then click the *Run Fix* button at the top
* Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done.
Install Avast , and ZA .
Let me know how it is running .

Nick

Latest posts

Back