What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to take a sledgehammer to my mother's one-piece tub/shower, but I'm afraid I'll break the surrounding walls bc they are 1/8" wood paneling.

Yesterday I dispensed mes to the pets (had to put the sick kitty's liquid medicine in milk and coax her in to drinking it bc she kept spitting it up when I forced it into her mouth). I cleaned a wound on one cat's face (he got into a fight). He was growling and fussing, but the hydrogen peroxide softened the scab enough to allow the cyst to start draining-- smells like rotten milk. I tried to wipe it in a pattern that mimicked licking to make it less unpleasant for him. He let me hug him afterward, even though he was upset about the pain from the cleaning.
Took my friend's gf to the store to get new skivvies bc her washer is broken and the dog chewed her last clean pair. I explained to her how to hand-wash them, but I don't think it sunk in.

Got a rotisserie chicken fresh out of the oven at Walmart deli and de-boned it when I got home. They had overcooked it so the outer crispy parts went to the dog. It will be used in soups, sandwiches, and burritos in the next few days.

The mother cat moved her kittens in to a bad spot (near the foot of the bed under a blanket where I almost stepped on them). I put a box in that spot, padded it with a torn sweater of mine and a microfiber rag, put the kittens in, put the mother in, covered it partway with a blanket, and she seems to be happy about it for now. Babies can't crawl too far, won't get stepped on, and it's still covered and seems safe to her. Hopefully she won't move them again.

I'm supposed to go to Alexandria with my mother today but it depends on how she's feeling. She got a letter from her new sleep study doctor informing her that he's closing his practice so she'll have to find a replacement. He was the only one we knew of who took Medicare, so it's going to be a pain finding another one. And she'll need someone to approve of her replacement parts for her CPAP. She was supposed to have another appointment in February to discuss the readings from the machine on her sleep habits and so forth. Not sure if he'll still be open.

I've also been re-thinking the design for the new layout of my laundry room. I was thinking of leaving the partial wall with the light switches so I could run plumbing in it, but now I'm wondering if that would be a good idea. It would make it harder to access the back of the washing machine and might just be awkward. So, I'm thinking of taking it out, furring out the external wall behind the washer (bumping it in a few inches), running plumbing through there- so it won't interfere with insulation and get as cold in winter & won't have to poke through thicker wood for the load-bearing wall. It would allow me to bump the washer over a little more so there will be more space for storage in the corner. Before I wasn't as worried about the cold, but this winter was brutal on the pipes so I want to make sure everything is wrapped up as warmly as possible.

On that front, I'm trying to find a good pet door that will be large enough for the chiweenie and fat cats but will not allow larger animals through. My brother somehow broke the existing door/flap and I don't think I can find a replacement-- furthermore, I discovered it was the source of the cold/hot air leaking in to the house (prior to it breaking). So, I need a flap that keeps the weather out but that can be locked when I want to keep the animals in or keep possums out (when all the pets are in).

Just saw a cast tub demo a couple days ago on TV. You look better protected then they were.

Yeah lots of sharp porcelain chips flying about, very dangerous. I watched some funny youtube videos on the subject. Basically the sledge hammer is the only way, sawsall..nope, grinder takes forever, demo hammer...won't do nuthiing cept chip the porcelain.

I wouldn't suggest you try it zannej.

So, I need a flap that keeps the weather out but that can be locked when I want to keep the animals in or keep possums out (when all the pets are in).

I thought possums were a delicacy in those parts. Plus thieves are using small kids to go in through those and unlock the doors.

Fitty five boxes of vinyl plank going up to the second floor condo. Ish

20180126_102819.jpg

Yeah lots of sharp porcelain chips flying about, very dangerous. I watched some funny youtube videos on the subject. Basically the sledge hammer is the only way, sawsall..nope, grinder takes forever, demo hammer...won't do nuthiing cept chip the porcelain.

I wouldn't suggest you try it zannej.
Fortunately, Mom's shower is fiberglass. It's already cracked. LOL. I always cringe when I see people busting up porcelain and cast iron tubs bc it seems like such a waste, but I realize they have to be broken to get them out sometimes.

I thought possums were a delicacy in those parts. Plus thieves are using small kids to go in through those and unlock the doors.
LOL. I like the possums and all, but they steal the cookies and broke the flimsy ducting stuff for the dryer vent. The cat door we have is only 7"Wx11"H. The little dog and our fattest cat barely squeeze through.

I went to the store and got my friend's gf a bridesmaid dress for her best friend's wedding. It's a size 2 so it is a little too big, but I think we can cinch the waist in-- gonna get some advice from people who actually know about fashion on that one. LOL. She didn't get her paycheck yet and McDonalds cut her hours so she's hurting for $.

I had lunch at McAllisters Deli for the first time. Wasn't bad. Got home and took a nap bc I was exhausted (after we got heavy groceries that I had to lug in and put away). Woke up to the phone intercom going off & Mom sounded like she was almost crying. She tripped over the dog bed and fell on the floor and couldn't get up. She said she'd been calling for help for an hour and finally crawled over near her desk, used her cane to yank the cordless phone on to the floor and drag it over to her and paged. Said it rang 7 times before I picked up. I heard it ring twice so I'd been in a pretty deep sleep. I felt bad that I didn't hear her. I would have been in there right away if I had. So now I'm wondering if there is some sort of smartwatch or device she could get that would use our wifi to let her send a message to my computer or phone that would wake me up and let her call out for help in an emergency.

Last edited:
How about those intercoms they use for babies ? A lot cheaper then a smart phone ..

Hmm.. That's a thought. I was just thinking a watch or something wearable would be accessible at all times and would be designated to only be used in emergencies (unlike the phone intercom which she now uses to wake me up at 2am to tell me about things she just saw on Youtube or TV).

We have smartphones though. I was thinking just a cheap little wifi watch. But, I'll have to see if there are other inexpensive options. Maybe there is something for elderly care that is already out there. I want something like a life alert thingy but for just in the home where she can contact me instead of EMS.

Edit: Found something interesting that I'm going to research more https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071XX5KYY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you golf any better with the watch, or does it just help to time when that 19th hole is calling?

It gives you exact yardage from the ball to the pin. Plus other things .

No guessing on what club to pull out of the bag..

The new one this year is in color, and shows the hole ..

An air horn zanne ?:D

LOL. Unless it was tied around her neck, she'd forget it. My dad actually carried an airhorn with him outside in case something happened and he needed help. He forgot it the one time a tree branch fell on him when he was driving his tractor. It broke his back and threw him off the tractor. The dogs helpfully licked his face while he was on the ground. I think my brother eventually heard him calling for help (his room was the closest to where it happened and his window faced the area) and he got me to go out and help. We had to pull the branch off of him and then took him to the hospital.

That's beautiful, Floorist!
Can people swim there (when the weather is warm)?
Looks like a peaceful place to just sit and look at the water being blown by the wind.
It would make a really cool painting.
I always love to see how the trees are reflected in the water.

Before my pond dried up, there was a little several feet from the edge-- close enough that I could jump to it without getting my feet wet-- with a single small tree on it. I would jump over, stand under the tree, and just watch the ripples in the water as it was moved by the wind and watch the ducks and geese swimming around.

There is an island just off the picture to the right, that bridge leads to it. No swimming there any more, the city built a new water park a few years ago in another park.

Fixed a carpet transition today.
Carpet to tile transition was at an angle, about 6 1/2 feet on each leg of the angle. I guess the carpet was installed in this new living room where it met the kitchen tile. The carpet height dove or tapered downwards 1/2 inch towards the outside wall because the tile was installed correctly (flat) and the homes outside wall was low.
Customer complained because it wasn't even, so they went back with rubber carpet shims.
Customer called again and said the carpet edge didn't look right because the turned carpet edge wasn't turned evenly or consistently against the tile.
Another installer was sent down and she still wasn't happy.
.....so I went down there and fixed it. Happy customer now. Like they say, 4th time's a charm. :D
More info on the job. The finished tile was 1 inch taller than the floor in the carpeted area. It needed to be built up. They installed two rows of tackstrip against the tile so that the carpet could be turned and stapled. Folding the carpet edge would of course make the carpet edge taller. Problem was that it still didn't make the carpet edge high enough to function correctly against the 1 inch tall tile edge. That should have been corrected on the second attempt when the customer complained.
Electric tacker staples are not nearly long enough to fasten nor hold a proper stretch when you fold over a good quality cut pile carpet.
I ripped out the existing tackstrip, installed a 1/4" tapered rubber carpet shim, then installed a 3/4 inch wide strip of 1/4" of plywood under my new tackstrip. This brought the tackstrip within 1/4" of the tile height. I reinstalled the pad, stretched the carpet, trimmed and tucked the edge against the tile.
The job was 30 miles from town, ans a brand new addition. If I had a chance to guess, the crew went down to install the carpet, not knowing or being informed that they needed to be prepared to deal with this high tile edge............ so the did what they did to getter done.
........why it took 3 additional attempts to get this right? ..........I have no clue.
............oh wait ......I'm the only one that had a clue. :D (pats self on noggin')

Latest posts

Back