What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My sick cat passed away in my arms on very early Saturday morning. Mercifully, she went quickly, but I miss her. She was the last of my tail-less kitties and there is only one kitty remaining from the litter. I'm worried he might be sick because he's lost some weight. I'll have to keep a close eye on him. The youngest dog knew I was upset and got worried so she started climbing on my lap and rubbing her face against my face.

The old dog scraped her hip on something (probably while lying down) and it scraped the skin and there's a small wound. I'll have to take her in for a bath and some antibiotics. The other dogs are doing well at least. The youngest one likes to play with the chiweenie & instead of getting upset when she goes into the room with him, he gets excited and wants to play. But he gets out of breath quickly since he's overweight. The younger one is good about it and patiently waits for him to catch his breath and resume playing.

My best friend (the unlucky one) had another tooth-- which had cracked during the truck wreck in 2015-- break off & the gums got infected. Insurance said he has to pay for the surgery up-front out-of-pocket and they will reimburse him later & the dentist won't do it without payment up front. So, we spotted him some $ that he'll pay back later. Yesterday his fiance fell in the hallway and broke her wrist on her left arm. So both of them have injured left arms now.

I've been told the local Pizza Hut isn't doing well since my brother's firing. Several customers stopped going there in protest. A few more employees quit. The main shift-lead who was always great with customers & kept things running smoothly on morning shift got hired at a construction place with much better pay, put in his two-weeks notice, and then had such severe hypertension that it screwed up his eyes-- I think something either ruptured or was severed. He had to have emergency surgery & still needs more surgeries, but he's now blind & can't work. Means he can't continue to teach martial arts to kids at the local gym anymore. I'm really hoping he'll regain his eyesight. With him gone, it's just the jerk boss & the employee who reported him to corporate. He can't jerk her around by cutting her hours anymore bc there is no one to fill in for her. The other shift-lead just quit and got a job at Walmart. The final straw (after him screwing her out of pay by changing her status from shift-lead to production in the computer) was that her phone broke and the boss was mad he couldn't constantly text/call her so he took her off the schedule (even though she spoke to him in person & explained the situation).

I've been cleaning up after the pets constantly. Dogs don't want to use the puppy pads. Cats keep knocking things off the counters. One of the a-hole cats managed to open the cabinet door, climb inside, and knock stuff out of it. LOL.

Walmart added a new product that is making cooking for my mother a bit easier- pre-washed/poked/wrapped potatoes that come with microwave instructions. Pop them in for 6min & they are done. Just have to get them out of the wrapper & mash+add butter. I picked up some more frozen veggies for side dishes but I need to work on finding more options for main courses. Mom is getting tired of the Amy's Chinese Noodles and Pad Thai-- although she likes both of them. I need to find healthier stuff though bc all of us have gained weight & it's not good (obviously).

What program did you to open it ?

What OS are you running ?, and do you have MS Office ? I can send the generator keys if you don't..

The one I'm working on now Jon Has Win 7 on it .. That has been out a long time .. Nothing wrong with it except the user ..
Nick, that's what we call PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair). I made the mistake of letting my mother know what the acronym meant. She asked because she kept complaining about her computer & when she asked my brother what was wrong, he just kept saying it was PEBKAC. Just the other day I caught her about to click a virus link (it was in her browser telling her that her copy of windows was going to expire unless she clicked some link). I said "Don't click it! Just close it!" Mom: "But--" "Me: "NO! It's a virus! Close the tab!" I'm going to have to run a virus scanner on her computer soon.

I have managed to avoid Windows10 thus far, but my sister got it and already has to reinstall it because it's giving her trouble. Speaking of her, she decided to launch a letter-writing campaign (has sent over 10 letters in 2 weeks) to try to convince us to move to Albuquerque. They are handwritten on colorful paper with little drawings at the bottom. It's amusing, but my mother is annoyed that my sister is wasting paper & postage. She doesn't want to move there.

Sorry about your cat Z ..
Run Sophos Virus removal tool Z It is a good program .. I use it myself after i run a few other infection programs ..

Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool - MajorGeeks

You may as well delete all her sys restore points so she don't get reinfected Z..

We'll create fresh, clean restore point, using following OTL script:

Run OTL
Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following:

:OTL
:Commands
[purity]
[emptytemp]
[EMPTYFLASH]
[emptyjava]
[CLEARALLRESTOREPOINTS]
[Reboot]

Then click the Run Fix button at the top
Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done

OTL (OldTimer's List-It)

Last edited:
The Coretec is 8 mm thick so it should be fine without plywood underneath. Do you think I need leveling compound on the vinyl? Will it stick? Thanks.
There are primers or additives to make the filler stick to the vinyl. Is the vinyl flat and you want to fill the embossing, or does the floor have low spots that need to be filled?
Is this the kitchen?

There are primers or additives to make the filler stick to the vinyl. Is the vinyl flat and you want to fill the embossing, or does the floor have low spots that need to be filled?
Is this the kitchen?

Feel like an idiot. Just decided to get on hands and knees and take a closer look. The floor on landing is ceramic tile. It has an uneven surface but very glossy and slippery. Because of the mess in tearing it out, I think I’ll prime, level, and cover with Coretec if that makes sense.

Here's the quote from the Ardex website:

Information ARDEX K 60™ ARDITEX
Choose Versatile, No Water
ARDEX K 60™ ARDITEX is a blend of Portland cement and other hydraulic cements that is a self-smoothing, trowelable, latex leveling compound with excellent adhesion, flexibility and moisture resistance. ARDEX K 60 can be used to smooth interior concrete, wood, terrazzo, ceramic and quarry tile, steel, select epoxy coating systems and non-water-soluble adhesive residue on concrete prior to the installation of finished flooring on-, above- or below-grade.

Key Features
  • Use to level and smooth interior concrete, wood, terrazzo, ceramic and quarry tile, steel, select epoxy coating systems and non-water-soluble adhesive residue on concrete
  • A blend of Portland cement and other hydraulic cements
  • No water required for mixing; simply mix with latex additive
  • No mechanical profiling required (except steel substrates; see below)
  • No priming required (except non-ARDEX epoxy substrates; see below)
  • Trowelable and can smooth floors at 1/8″ (3 mm) or less
  • Walkable in 2 – 3 hours
  • Suitable for use under ARDEX MC™ Moisture Control Systems
  • Interior use only

Your tile is glossy and slippery. I've seen old quarry tile that was waxed. You aren't gluing anything to the tile, so it may not need to bond the same as what's needed for glue down products.
Acrylic mortar admix is an additive designed for use with grout and thinset. It works as a bonding agent for Ardex when added to the powder.
If the admix is used 100% and no water, you would want to use it as a very thin bonding coat. Then, once hardened, use Ardex mixed as recommended for the leveling.
If the Ardex is mixed with the acrylic admix and used for a deeper fill like for filling the grout recess in your tiled floor it may take quite a while to dry and harden.

Thanks, Nick. I always hate when I lose one of my pets. The surviving sibling is clearly not feeling well and I'm afraid he has the same thing. But if he does, there is nothing they can/will do for him & life expectancy is only 2 years (which is how long the other one lasted after her diagnosis). I'm hoping it's not that so I will take him in just in case. He's one of my favorites.

Had to take my friend's fiance back to the hospital because her fingers were swelling & the pain was radiating from her fingers up to her shoulder, neck, and back. They gave her narcotics and released her. Apparently they worked pretty well, but she said she felt high. Must be an odd sensation. I've been given narcotics after surgery before but they never really had any effect. Didn't work on the pain & didn't make me feel any better. So, I have no use for that stuff. She has a followup appointment ion Tuesday. Over an hour drive and it's at 8am. I am sooo not a morning person. LOL. My friend's grandfather can't take her because he's taking my friend to a dental appointment in another town in the opposite direction (also about an hour away). Well, the one for her appointment will take longer because it's on a narrow two-lane road with no shoulders and it has a lot of curves (many blind curves as well). I've narrowly avoided being hit head-on a few times on that road before because some drivers are just idiots.

My mother's computer is running just fine, but she just got that popup on a website. But I want to run virus scanner just in case to make sure nothing got on it from her ignorantly clicking stuff. My sister is the one having actual problems with her OS but she never told me what the symptoms were. On a side note, a member of another forum I'm on complained about getting website hijacking ads that take her to another site when she visits the forum. I was thinking it was an ad on the forums but now I'm wondering if she has something on her computer doing it.

The cats got in to the living room & the dog accidentally pushed the door closed so they were locked in. They knocked a bunch of stuff off the coffee table & my mother's desk, knocked over a folding tray table, and generally ran amok. Fortunately they didn't break anything, but the cleanup was a pain-- at least now part of my mother's desk is more organized though. The girl who broke her wrist was going to help organize that room (throw out stuff we don't need, put stuff in storage/find places to put them, & get rid of cardboard boxes) but that will have to wait until she recovers. She heard back from Social Security on her temporary disability claim & they told her they would need another 4 to 6 months to look into it.

Your tile is glossy and slippery. I've seen old quarry tile that was waxed. You aren't gluing anything to the tile, so it may not need to bond the same as what's needed for glue down products.
Acrylic mortar admix is an additive designed for use with grout and thinset. It works as a bonding agent for Ardex when added to the powder.
If the admix is used 100% and no water, you would want to use it as a very thin bonding coat. Then, once hardened, use Ardex mixed as recommended for the leveling.
If the Ardex is mixed with the acrylic admix and used for a deeper fill like for filling the grout recess in your tiled floor it may take quite a while to dry and harden.

My carpenter is coming Tuesday and I’ll discuss best options then. Maybe priming and then using Henry 547 troweled in would be ok?

Btw, the house is 40 years old so I doubt any wax would still be on the tiles. I could wipe them down with denatured alcohol though.

Thoughts?

Just found out Henry products uses Ardex technology. Will work with him before I do anything. I did get a sample of Pergo XP while at HD. Will get a sample of Coretec this weekend if possible and compare. Two different animals I know.

I just shoveled 3 tons of dirt into my back yard in preparation for reseeding. So I ran out of seed. Just so happens that my floor glue came in. Went to Lowe’s to get a trowel for adhesive, a beater for mixing leveling compound, spacers, knee pads, and seeds. Did I forget anything.? Adhesive is still waiting to be picked up. Lowe’s is down the road from my favorite breakfast place. You get picture...

Went to Home Depot. Looked at flooring and picked up samples. I decided to make landing same as living room. Got sample of Pergo XP Royal oak. Also took a picture of Outlast applewood planks.

Also looked at reviews of each color floor for pictures, especially the ones that had oak furniture or trim to compare.

Leaning towards Applewood. Still thinking about it.

I just shoveled 3 tons of dirt into my back yard in preparation for reseeding. So I ran out of seed. Just so happens that my floor glue came in. Went to Lowe’s to get a trowel for adhesive, a beater for mixing leveling compound, spacers, knee pads, and seeds. Did I forget anything.? Adhesive is still waiting to be picked up. Lowe’s is down the road from my favorite breakfast place. You get picture...
Did I forget anything.? Tricking friends to come over for a barbecue ..

Latest posts

Back