What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom, it looks great! I haven't heard of a company called BM before. I'll have to look up that color. Everyone in the house likes blue. I may end up painting the laundry room cabinets blue instead of white. Too bad I'm not in your area. I like painting. Give me a roller or brush & my happy a$$ will paint away for hours.

Floorist, it's also a shame I don't live near you because I like plumbing (although I'm not confident enough to sweat copper).

I've noticed the edge of one of my cabinets is getting water damage from when I've been washing dishes- spray goes everywhere & the poly must have worn off. Going to have to sand a bit and put a fresh coat of poly on. I'll bring the can I left at my friend's house. It's waterproof & fast drying. Then I will have to guard it to keep the cats away.

My thyroid meds were working better today & my back was doing a little better so I got more work done in terms of cleaning. I got my brother to help a little. He's supposed to take the trash out but he just piles them in the front room. I'm guilty of leaving them in the front room because I have a hard time lifting & carrying them all the way to the burn pile. I hauled bags to the front door and tossed them on the porch so he could haul them to the burn pile. He complained because he wanted me to go out and haul them all the way to the burn pile too but the heat was too much for me. He was mad that I didn't want to go out in the heat, bragged that he wasn't even sweating-- he works in a kitchen where it's hot all the time, I almost keeled over from the heat when I opened the door. He started lecturing me about how I need to suck it up and "push through the inconvenience". He weighs over 300lbs now & does nothing but stuff his face & play computer games all day. He hasn't hauled trash out in 6 months. He's only taken trash out of the bins in the kitchen about 3x this year but he left them in the front room. I'm constantly having to pick up after him. Anyway, I ignored his BS & continued picking stuff up to haul out. After all the bags were out but there were still a bunch of boxes piled up, he said he was done. I asked him to please help with the boxes & he said I should do it myself. I told him my back was giving out on me (at that moment it was). Plus a bunch of the bags had ripped & stuff had spilled out. So we got the boxes to the door & he took them to the burn pile. I was then sweeping up a bunch of stuff that had spilled out. One of the boxes had a mouse nest with fire ants & it stunk. Picked it up and a mouse jumped out & the nesting spilled all over. Dufus was holding the bag for me while I dumped the crud I swept up into it. He didn't like the smell so he dropped the bag & told me I was on my own. Whined about his lungs. I stopped myself from telling him he should push through the inconvenience. Next time he whines though, that's what I'm going to tell him.

I filled 3 contractor bags with the crud that was left in the front room. All that remains now is a box with his bedding/laundry. I even hauled one of his bags that he'd dumped from his bedroom out into the hallway to the laundry room. Other two bags were too heavy for me so I left them. He told me when I was done bagging stuff to let him know so he could haul it to the burn pile. Big surprise, he wussed out and said "I'll do it in the morning". which means I'm going to have to get my friend to help me tomorrow bc there's no way fatso is going to get up and do it. He said he was going to get the trash out of the bathroom but he didn't.

I also cleaned up in the kitchen, put away leftovers he didn't put up, and dumped out stuff he left sitting that he said he was going to put away. Then I changed the HVAC filters because I found a box of new filters in the mess in the front room. Oh, and I realized that two of the ceiling fans were spinning the wrong way so I turned them off, climbed up, and flipped the switch to make them spin correctly. And I changed litterboxes & cleaned up in the hallway. Caught a cat trying to pee near my mother's door & set the cat in the fresh litterbox.

Sorry for all the griping. LOL. Need someone to vent to sometimes. My friend said he'd come over sometime to help with vacuuming-- if I can find my damn vacuum cleaner. I think that carpet needs to be steam-cleaned. More likely, it needs to be pulled up and thrown out & we need to put down some other type of flooring that is waterproof. But it's a HUGE room.

If I don't sleep all day tomorrow, I'm going to work on cleaning it more.

Right now I have a headache but it's starting to fade a little. Naproxyn finally kicking in.

Here’s what the stairs look like from the top. Red oak retreads from Lumber Liquidators. Stained with Zar teak natural stain and 4 coats of Varathane satin polyurethanine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 22
currently in the process of installing new flooring for the first time since I have the time due to covid.

can anyone help me in figuring out what this black bean like substance is on the old flooring.
My best guess it's either old glue remnants or possibly mold related?

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_6047.JPG
    IMG_6047.JPG
    249 KB · Views: 26
I have been installing since 1973 and I have no idea what that is. Maybe Highup or Daris will know. I guess it could be chunks of cutback, but I have never seen that. Almost looks like bugs.

Front room painted. It’s a matte finish so it should look darker later

Attachments

• 8B3558A7-A761-4234-9A91-FDBA5107A480.jpeg
    8B3558A7-A761-4234-9A91-FDBA5107A480.jpeg
    57.7 KB · Views: 19
  • EA8E3658-54E5-427D-8523-E07C9269698E.jpeg
    EA8E3658-54E5-427D-8523-E07C9269698E.jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 23
currently in the process of installing new flooring for the first time since I have the time due to covid.

can anyone help me in figuring out what this black bean like substance is on the old flooring.

Thanks.
I see patterns in those black dots. Look close. I don't see a mold issue. That said, I haven't seen anything like it.

Thanks.
I haven't seen anything like it either. It looks to be under the glue. I'm wondering if the didn't have rebond pad on the floor before the gluedown. Some of the particles of rebond usually the black pieces would go bad and was extremely hard to scrape up and would remain. If you are really in doubt of mold I'd take a scraping and send it in to a lab to find out what it is.

Thanks.

I would cover it with 1/4 inch plywood and move on. If you have the room to raise the floor a bit, 1/2 inch plywood would be better.

I haven't seen anything like it either. It looks to be under the glue. I'm wondering if the didn't have rebond pad on the floor before the gluedown. Some of the particles of rebond usually the black pieces would go bad and was extremely hard to scrape up and would remain. If you are really in doubt of mold I'd take a scraping and send it in to a lab to find out what it is.
ding ding ding, I think we have a winner. Pad makes sense to me.

Tom, those wires coming out of the box and layed flat against the horizontal 2x4's seems a bit odd. It that above the ceilings sheetrock?

I'm going to install a drop ceiling below the wires. The electrical panel is getting a cabinet I'm going to build around it. There are already pipes below the rafters as well as electrical boxes that need to remain accessible. So I need to use a drop ceiling anyway. I figured since I'm going to have to drop 4 inches below the rafters, running the wires like that wouldn't be a big deal. The builder did the same in some areas.

Thank you for your response and yeah it's somewhat under the glue as if someone poured glue on top of the black substance.

and yes I have ordered a mold kit to send to a lab just to be sure.

Latest posts

Back