What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mom woke me up claiming she had low blood sugar so I had to heat up leftovers for her & listen to her babble about Dimash. LOL. Been trying to get back to sleep.

I think I've gone a few months without pets and it was miserable. I love pets. One of the reasons my dad wanted a farm was because he loved animals and wanted to have a bunch of them. So we had goats, pigs, horses, ducks, chickens, geese, turkeys, guinea hens, quail, pigeons, gerbils, hamsters, rabbits, cats, dogs, & cows. The cats were always my favorite.

Numbers are coming down here in Lancaster. My local favorite pizza shop may open their dining room soon. Used to use them almost every day for lunch. Then covid turned them into takeout only. The takeout window is always busy.

Thought I had a water leak in the stairwell. Found out Hunter was digging his claws into the corner of the wall when he was barking at dogs going by. I repaired it with mud and painted it. But he started at it again. I think I'm going to put some flat molding into the corner to cover the area. I'll just put 3 or 4 coats of poly on it.

Vaccines should be available soon in my area. 2 major drug store chains are setting up their reservation sites as is my doctor's office. We'll see.

Cold and windy here. Snow expected Sunday through Tuesday. We'll see.

I thought I was in the 1B category but apparently I'm in the first group with healthcare workers and nursing homes. Diabetes and heart disease, and 63. But they say I'm 1A. Sounds like the draft! Not sure I want to still work from home. At least at home I don't have to wear a mask all day. But not seeing anyone is tedious.

An Italian Restaurant in York County, not the pizza shop I mentioned earlier, opened 2 weeks ago. I think we're going to try it. Haven't been there since the virus shut everything down. I go into withdrawal when I can't go out to eat!

I thought I was in the 1B category but apparently I'm in the first group with healthcare workers and nursing homes. Diabetes and heart disease, and 63. But they say I'm 1A. Sounds like the draft! Not sure I want to still work from home. At least at home I don't have to wear a mask all day. But not seeing anyone is tedious.

An Italian Restaurant in York County, not the pizza shop I mentioned earlier, opened 2 weeks ago. I think we're going to try it. Haven't been there since the virus shut everything down. I go into withdrawal when I can't go out to eat!
We ate breakfast out 3/4 times a week for years. Have not done it since last spring. I miss it, but we have saved money eating at home. Two of the restaurants here have had waitresses test positive for covid.

Our mailroom at the university just closed due to a positive case. Only one person was exposed to someone that tested positive. That person got it and spread it to the rest.

Transfer by contacting surfaces is relatively safe in restaurants because all surfaces cleaned with disinfectant have lingering cleaners left. And COVID-19 needs to be inhaled. But people need to remove masks to eat. So we visit only restaurants that are taking measures. Most of the major chains are requiring steps. Here, Texas Roadhouse requires use of call ahead via their app. You text them when you arrive and sit in the car until they say the table is ready

Transfer by contacting surfaces is relatively safe in restaurants because all surfaces cleaned with disinfectant have lingering cleaners left. And COVID-19 needs to be inhaled. But people need to remove masks to eat. So we visit only restaurants that are taking measures. Most of the major chains are requiring steps. Here, Texas Roadhouse requires use of call ahead via their app. You text them when you arrive and sit in the car until they say the table is ready
I read that 1.4% of covid comes from restaurants and bars..... .4% from restaurants. It's a tough competitive business. Shame they can't stay open with precautions.

Got a carpet job done today. It was three bedrooms in a new house. Actually started on Monday. put tarps down and unroll the carpet outside so I could notch it out into the shapes to get the longest fill pieces. That ate up a lot of time up on Monday. Seems I've been putting in 5-hour days more than anything else lately. Total of 63 ft of seams in those three rooms. All of the rooms ended with metal in the doorways so no seams in the doorways. Why does someone build a house with rooms that are 12 ft 7 in wide?
I squeezed the job in because the guy was moving in. He knew I had another job scheduled and bent the rules and fit him in.
He was pretty thankful. Handed me a piece of paper with thank you for fitting me in and doing a top notch job. Inside the paper was $250. My second biggest thank you. I was a wee bit surprised. 😱

My Acurite brand thermometer/weather station has shown outside temperatures way off for a couple of months now. The batteries on the outdoor sensor were good. It was reading 40° when there was ice on some cups of water outside.
The indoor display on my old unit shows the moon phase, barometer and attempts to tell you the weather forecast with images of sun, clouds, rain, snow or whatever..
I stopped at Walmart and bought a cheaper AcuRite thermometer with a sensor for outdoor temperatures. Even though my old unit is 5 or 6 years old, this new unit has an identical looking sensor.
When I set the new sensor up to my old unit the humidity reading was 1%. 🤔
That seems really strange as a starting point before it starts sensing the actual humidity. After 10 minutes the reading didn't change.
This new AcuRite indoor outdoor thermometer has the exact same sensor, however the display on the unit does not show or display humidity.
I took the defective sensor unit apart, the one with the bad temperature readings. Then I took apart the new unit.
I discovered the new unit had virtually the same circuit board, but with the humidity sensor missing.
What the heck I've got a great big Weller soldering gun. Every once in awhile I wish I had a small handheld pencil point unit for small tasks like this.
The new circuit board had the same holes as my defective one. I desoldered the humidity sensor from the old unit and soldered it into the new unit, the one that had inaccurate temperature readings.
Results........ It's ALIVE! 👏
Now I have an accurate thermometer and humidity sensor.
Glad to find that I didn't have to replace the entire unit. The new inner outdoor thermometer was 20 bucks. I'm guessing I paid $45 for the old unit with all the additional information that provides. Nice I didn't have to replace that unit.
As a side benefit the new indoor outdoor thermometer now allows me to put the second thermometer in another location so I can read the outdoor temperatures from two places. I'll put this one in my bedroom.
I don't think you can buy just a single replacement sensor anyway... Not locally anyway.
The photo shows where I removed the sensor and put it in the other circuit board. The yellow V points at the humidity sensor. The sensor used two of those three holes that you see in the red circles.
I can't change the weather but I can change how I visualize it on an LCD screen. 😁

Attachments

• PXL_20210131_060117436~2.jpg
    PXL_20210131_060117436~2.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Thats good highup
So can eat for a couple of days :)
At $6 per square yard the entire job was worth $550. I used up a roll of seam tape and that's 20 bucks
And tack strip probably came to about 20 bucks. The job was nearby, so the gas was only about $15.
But even at 5 hours a day for 6 days that sucks. I'd be better off doing 6 2-hour repairs for 6 days straight. I would have made twice as much money and added on any materials used.

I tried to get started on a carpet job day before yesterday. There's a bedroom and office and a 27-ft long hallway. At the end of that hallway there's a step up to a second part of the hallway that's 15 ft long. It has those big orange terracotta tiles that are very uneven. There's almost half an inch difference in thickness to portions of some of these tiles. The carpet is an expensive low profile carpet. I came prepared to pour self leveling concrete on this area but only got as far as testing a primer that I've never used before and removing the baseboards. The way it's ending up I'm going to do that part today.
Since it wasn't raining yesterday I decided to unroll some tarps and split the fill pieces and hallway outside. Soon after unrolling the 30-ft piece I noticed small coppery brown spots on the carpet. The carpet is light green. The lady has been waiting for me to do this job since late November and now we have to wait for a week and a half for new carpet.
How did your day go?

Latest posts

Back