What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you.
My attempt to get back on a good sleep schedule was again foiled by Mom. She woke me up at almost 2am wanting food again. Couldn't really get back to sleep. Read some discussions about wiring on houserepair forum and decided to start thinking more about the wiring for my house and how to get it fixed and how to make some minor changes. I want to add a couple of lights, replace some vent/lights/heaters add a new one, and add some light switches and outlets.

I know I need to go to the store today to get more groceries bc I'm out of stuff. They keep being low stock or out of stock when I shop so I have to keep going back to the store to stock up.
Tomato products will be the next shortage.

I bought 4 containers of coffee hearing a shortage of that. The sale price of 5$ inspired me. My wife pays that for 1 drink at Starbucks

Tomato’s are quick to regenerate, the climate change will have an effect on food shortages, there’s going to be a lot of kinks in our systems in place on multiple fronts.

Attachments

• E0BB5635-3E07-4B3C-96EC-CA1A8A360823.jpeg
    E0BB5635-3E07-4B3C-96EC-CA1A8A360823.jpeg
    116.4 KB · Views: 12
I bought 4 containers of coffee hearing a shortage of that. The sale price of 5$ inspired me. My wife pays that for 1 drink at Starbucks

Tomato’s are quick to regenerate, the climate change will have an effect on food shortages, there’s going to be a lot of kinks in our systems in place on multiple fronts.
I started buying a coffee by the name of Victor brand. It's regularly only 9.95 for a 3 lb container, but every few months they have it on sale for $6.99. last time they had it on sale I bought three of them.
I'll buy some of the more expensive coffee beans I make my own combo then grind up a small amount and add that to the Victor brand to give a little more snap. As far as coffee goes it's as good as Folgers at a fraction of the price. I'm not all that picky anyway...... I mean, it's coffee.

I just bought $65 worth of k cups from Amazon.

Want to know how the economy is doing? Try getting a kennel spot for your pet. Want to go away in a week. Struggling to find a place. Vacation is strong this year.

Climate change... hmmm.
In terms of the long history of the Earth we are actually still in an overarching ice age period - known as the Quaternary glaciation - which has been going for the last 2.6 million years. At the moment, the Earth is just in a slightly warmer period, an interglacial.

There have been at least four other overarching ice ages in the Earth's history, the oldest started about 2,400 million years ago.

The Little Ice Age was a climatic period, lasting from about 1300 to 1750, when worldwide temperatures cooled slightly, leading to extreme weather that, in turn, affected the colonizing ventures of Europeans in America.

The Earth is still warming from that Ice Age

The Earth cooled 0.1 degree, about the same as it has warmed since then.

We're still waiting for the science deniers to explain why this Inter-Glacial Period is colder and has lower sea levels than the previous 8 recorded Inter-Glacial Periods.

....but, I thought the polar ice caps were going to melt and California would be 20' below the surface of the water. At least that was what Al Gore promised us in the 80's?
He also promised demise of the polar bears. Last I read there were record numbers of them.
"There are far more polar bears alive today than there were 40 years ago. ... In 1973, there was a global hunting ban. So once hunting was dramatically reduced, the population exploded."

I remember the one about how the white rabbit became a brown rabbit. It involved a bear.

It was hot last night but now it's raining so it cooled off a little. I still can't seem to shake being so tired. My brother has been refusing to take the trash out and it's overflowing again. I'd take the bag out if I could lift it but my shoulder and back both said "no" when I tried.

I saw a young friend who recently had a baby posting that her baby is now 1 month old. He can already hold his own bottle. I know another baby that couldn't hold his bottle until late in 6 months. I have no idea what is "normal" for babies though-- but the older baby seems to be very slow thus far.

Spent 40 bucks on a half inch pneumatic impact gun. Instead of the $5 one that has no name, this one was a Bosch. I'll have to do a test between the two to find out if I screwed up or not. I'm going to drive some 3/8-in lag screws into a 4x4 or something and see which one wins. If nothing else, the Bosch one looks 'more cooler'......and a lot newer. 😁
I stopped at our local version of a harbor freight store called empire mercantile. They always have some fun stuff. It's not always repeatable because they buy out bits and pieces from other stores that have closed up shop.
I bought 10 sheets of 220 grit wet dry sandpaper for $2.50
They had a 56 tooth Diablo saw blade for non-ferrous metals IE: aluminum. It was just 17 bucks. It has what's called a tri-tip or tri-chip, tooth pattern that alternates between a square cut and a semi pointed tooth. These blades make clean cuts in plastics, aluminum etc and I found they work extremely well in hardwood moldings. Did I currently need an aluminum cutting, seven and a quarter inch saw blade? ....mmm, nope. 😁
Might work fantastic for cutting laminate flooring too. It's not a thin kerf blade. Pretty substantial. It's very well made and online it looks like they're probably pushing the mid $40 mark including shipping.
They had more than one blade and I'm thinking I might as well buy another one. these blades have a very slight negative rake and a very tiny amount of kerf.
They also had on the rack, 7 1/4 inch blades for steel and stainless steel. I've never cut those materials in my table saw, so I don't have much interest in those.
They did have a 10-in blade for steel which would work in my chop saw... Again it's something you don't need to often but it would sure make some nice clean and square cuts if I needed to. Faster and better than a hacksaw.
At this particular store, when they obtain new inventory, you might never see it again because of the way they purchased their stuff. At one point in time they had a lot of Lenox hole saws. I bought a handful of them and they haven't had them back in stock for a couple of years.
They also had some really neat Lenox jigsaw blades that I like because they make precision cuts. I bought all six packs that they had. I haven't seen those blades back in stock either.
When you find a good buy, buy them now because they won't be there later.

https://www.amazon.com/D0756F-Diablo-Ferrous-Cutting-4-Inch/dp/B001CZJ56W

Last edited:
My fuel string trimmer is still going strong …third year I’ve had it 😎
Everything is going electric and if I could afford to switch everything over to Milwaukee, I'd do it. Seems like everything they make is good and that you going to invest in electric you don't want five different brands of cordless tools.
I've recently bought a couple of air tools. I've been told to go with the Fuel. This is something I'd use rarely so it's not worth investing in a whole new tool series.

Yes Don, we all know you have a battery Milwaukee(me too but not attachments) good to hear.

Havasa you’re saying the ethanol is deteriorating fuel lines, there’s like 4 on each piece of equipment. I have had a craftsman rubber hose(water mind you) for 25 years going strong. Something just ain’t right, I assumed it was cheap economy filler grade lines.

I know ethanol gums up in carburetors.
You just have to run them dry and most problems with ethanol are cured.
Not everyone does that and it's still not good for aluminum. If available, there's no way I would buy anything but non-alcohol fuel for things like weed eaters or lawn mowers. It's not it's not a price issue, it's an availability issue.

Yesterday, I dropped off some good used laminate flooring at Have Restore. I've been playing a Porter-Cable 960 router body that they had there. It didn't have the top cap on it and it has no base, but the only wanted 25 bucks and it's the old style that was made in the US of A
I can get a new top cap for it for 10 bucks from parts direct. I have three bases so that's not an issue. One body is currently permanently set up in my router lift. I have a second one that I bought brand new. This will make three identical units..... Well, two. Two American made oldies but goldies and a Chinese made one. I joined a router forum a couple years back and they weren't thrilled with the Chinese versions. They said they had the bearing issues. They also added that if the bearing goes bad to replace it with a ceramic ball bearing rather than the identical replacement.
Another one of those did I need it, probably not, but I have it....... and someone else doesn't. 😁
Six months ago I bought a new switch for my other American made PC 960, but I haven't installed it yet. All of them behave like brand new.

Last edited:
Science is fun.
http://www.myfordtractors.com/electrolysis.shtmlThis won't work with one of the new, environmentally safe battery chargers.
You need the old style chargers.... the ones that keep charging untill you turn them off.
The trick is less amps is better. More amps create heat which has zero benefit. 6 volts and 2 amps is probably ideal or 12 volts and whatever the lowest amps setting your charger will produce.
Use washing soda not baking soda and never use stainless steel as your anode. Degrease whatever parts you put in there.
Have fun boys and girls. 🎊

Latest posts

Back