What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
occupied changes the name of the game for me. Give me a brand new commercial building any day and I am happy as can be.

Speaking of which, my bad brain time sad face is apparently over and I am hella happy to be at work again. Weird how the mind works sometimes.

Commercial is too iffy. Could be awesome or it could be a shit show. Then again I suppose residential is no different so scratch that. Give me an unoccupied unit that I can back right up to and I’m OK with that. Gotta admit that last weeks job was a bit much for me. One of them customers that wasn’t emotionally ready to have her house torn up for a full week. The customer was done with me just as much as I was done with her by the 4th day. The 5th day, Friday the 13th, was a tense day to say the least. I just kept my head down and counted the minutes till 3 o’clock. Commercial doesn’t sound all that bad now.

Only 2 of the 65 were really bad, just the boredom of doing the same thing over and over. 2 25' drop pieces of carpet with a 3 ft seam where they met in the middle and an 18" seam in the middle of the br closet. About a 2 hour job when empty. I have done one in 90 minutes by myself.

Today I did 3.5 more bathrooms, tomorrow ill do 3.5 more bathrooms, the day after that I'll do 3.5 more bathrooms....
I'm on track to finish the bathrooms sometime around the end of October.
Then there are 148 suites of vinyl plank, at 76 thousand sqft, however you want to read it, I suppose I'll be crazy before this one ends.
......by the time this one ends? 😁
Seriously, your impressive. I've never been able to pump out work.
I've been a procrastinator/nitpicker me entire life. Gitter done isn't in my bones. Not a good traight for this trade. Some people drive 95, you are supposed to drive 55, and I drive 35. I still get there. 🥴

occupied changes the name of the game for me. Give me a brand new commercial building any day and I am happy as can be.

Speaking of which, my bad brain time sad face is apparently over and I am hella happy to be at work again. Weird how the mind works sometimes.
Job I'm going to complete on Thursday as three children. The girl is 10 she's actually pretty cool. Very laid back and not overly chatty. There are two boys. The youngest one talks in gibberish and I can only understand a word here and there. I just nod or say, "o really?"
The other boy is in between those two. After 5 days on the job we left on Friday. As I was leaving I told the homeowner that we were on our way out and will be back on Monday. The little kid that talks in gibberish, ran over and gave me a hug on the leg. It was special reward at the end of the day.
The grandma made a note to tell me thank you for the way I dealt with the kids. Hey, they're kids. ...it's not like I can smack em. Somebody might see me. 😁
It's actually the first time I've had to work with kids in the house for a long, long time. Typically, the homeowners at work and I have a key to get in. I just want to accomplish enough each day that something is complete and their life isn't totally and disarray. Customers are very accepting once they understand your game plan.
General contractors on a large job would not put up with my game plan. 😁😁😁
....... That said, I wouldn't put up with theirs. 🖕

Doing some laundry last night and I happen to have my phone in my hand.
Note to self, don't put phone on top of washer.
Anyhow bumped it and it went back behind them. Kind of a pain to get them out so I McGyvered it out. Plugged in my hot glue gun and put a glob of glue on a short piece of base shoe I had in the truck. I just lowered the stick, set it lightly on to one corner of the phone case and let it sit for a minute. What an easy retrieval. I let the hot glue get warm not molten hot, so after retrieving the phone it peeled right off. If not rubbing alcohol would release the glue anyway. I don't know why I felt like such a genius after this but...
...but I did. 😁
I'm going to finish up a job tomorrow I just have one more room left. Contractors put down Cortec throughout the house and of course the homeowner wanted the matching trim to abut the carpet. I was hoping to use naploc. I hate those reducer trims that they have. There's over 45 ft of this in doorways and the living room. For some reason when this trim comes, the tube has sections of track with it. The track has no gripping edge and the track does not fit the width of the place is supposed to grab onto. I called a rep for Cortec quite a while ago and told them that the track doesn't fit. He replied, we don't make a track for that material. 🤨 I said, well it came in the tube along with the molding. He repeated himself, we don't make a track for that material.
Anyhow, between glue and hot glue I got it all put down but I'm thinking of adding some 1 in brad nails in the doorways and the traffic areas. I did a test, and they shoot right in without fluffing up the material or damaging the surface.
Seem to take forever to do the living room because of a couple of angles. There was about 21 ft along one edge of the room. Then I turned and tacked the whole thing backed up with tack strip. This material was thin enough that my electric tacker worked to do this. I wish these tackers went beyond 9/16. Even another 16th would make these things usable in some situations.
I was hoping I could tweak the angle of the pattern into the 45° that was on the floor. Nope, Wasn't even worth attempting.

Attachments

• PXL_20210817_215939887.jpg
    PXL_20210817_215939887.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 18
I’m just blown away. Installing the transitions is part of the floating floor install. I’ve known many carpet guys that don’t touch anything beyond flat bar or naplock.

The pattern doesn’t follow the angle😳

Last edited:
A T & T sent someone out to dig a trench across our yard to run a line for a neighbor. No one had asked, so it is not happening.
In our neighborhood, the front 20 feet of property is township owned. That allows them to dig as they please. Even my driveway has a crack filled with tar at the border. On the county property map, my property borders do not extend to the street.

I’m just blown away. Installing the transitions is part of the floating floor install. I’ve known many carpet guys that don’t touch anything beyond flat bar or naplock.
I run into so many of these dicks I just stopped.

The last one I was asked to do, I refused the laminate install because the product was garbage, so we did the carpet and left. Someone came and did all the laminate and then I get a phone call.... "hey can you guys come put all the transitions in" uh... what?

Long story short, I said sure we can... for the price of the laminate installation. There was even a hatch in the laminate that was untrimmed and did I mention no one had purchased/brought transitions?

I settled the hatch and 4 doorways for 300 and figured that was good enough but wtf

I run into so many of these dicks I just stopped.

The last one I was asked to do, I refused the laminate install because the product was garbage, so we did the carpet and left. Someone came and did all the laminate and then I get a phone call.... "hey can you guys come put all the transitions in" uh... what?

Long story short, I said sure we can... for the price of the laminate installation. There was even a hatch in the laminate that was untrimmed and did I mention no one had purchased/brought transitions?

I settled the hatch and 4 doorways for 300 and figured that was good enough but wtf

That’s what I’m talkin about. Sure clicking the floor together itself is easy but then you need a real installer to finish the job. Why don’t I do the rip n haul, any prep, R&R of baseboards, all the finish detail work and anything else deemed shitty or too hard to do while some moron gets the easy part of clicking legos together. Nope!

In our neighborhood, the front 20 feet of property is township owned. That allows them to dig as they please. Even my driveway has a crack filled with tar at the border. On the county property map, my property borders do not extend to the street.
The city says they own the first 7 feet but it is my job to maintain it. A T & T just wanted to trench my side because it would be easier. I don't want my yard torn up. I made them go on the neighbor's side, it is his new line anyway.

The pattern doesn’t follow the angle😳
It sure doesn't. 😁
One can only try. Miracles not performed here. 😉

The contractors that worked on this job put down the flooring, not the flooring guys. Overall it looks fairly good except it is tight here and there. I did notice numerous places where the end joints don't look absolutely tight and some of the side joints don't look absolutely tight.
..... Just saying they don't read the instructions cuz I doubt if they tapped it together after locking the pieces in place. I'll mention that to the contractor so if they do it again they understand that tapping is rather ummmm, Important.

Stopped over at the steel supply place and bought a 4-in by 5 ft 3 in Long piece of 1/8-in aluminum. I just needed an 8-in piece. It would have cost more to cut it than buy it. It almost cost me $4 to buy way more aluminum than I need. Oh darn I guess I can cut it myself. 😁
There's a boat ramp a block over from the steel supply place. There's a ship there that's just about loaded up and heading to who knows where..... China? ...probably.
I've heard the tuna aren't far offshore. These tuna are actually on shore hanging out with their Taliban friends.

Attachments

• PXL_20210818_202608365.jpg
    PXL_20210818_202608365.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20210818_202644437.jpg
    PXL_20210818_202644437.jpg
    416.4 KB · Views: 16
On my diy project, the laminate transitions were outrageous. $10/foot! For 400 square feet of coretec, it cost me close to $900 for all the transition pieces.

I don’t pay for transitions so I’m not up to speed on their exact price. A single 6’6” transition piece is $65? Used to be maybe $25 per transition. I figured current prices somewhere around $35 to $40 but damn $66 just hurts. I’d have @highup doing Z bar up to a clean cut raw edge for that price😁. I suppose the installers these days would have to be able to leave a clean straight edge though.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back