What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't had coffee in years. Never was overly fond of it. Love the smell of it, but the taste is never as good as it smells. Plus I can't have caffeine.

Daris, I am a salt fiend. I love salt. I should probably cut back because of my cholesterol but it's so damn good. I like dark chocolate with sea salt.

Pretty much rested today. Fed cats & cooked for mom. Curled up under kitties again.

Today is start my Hardwood day. I managed to get my hands on a disco lot of Pacific Grove Sand Oak from Dansk for a VERY attractive price and the nice thing is if i was shopping for hardwood that would probably be the color I chose so there were not any concessions that had to be made on color Vs. price. It is very lightly wire brushed so I can live with that although I would never seek it out. I would prefer a solid site finished but for the work and effort with my crazy life and children it just did not seem like it was worth doing. I got this floor for less than it would cost me to sand and stain a solid so I will call it a win.

Here is the real crux of the issue I have right now. For my entire career I have espoused gluing down engineered hardwoods as it is the best and in my opinion the only way for it to be done well. So, here I am at 6:58 in the morning preparing to unleash my vision of the world on my own self and I really do not want to. It is just so much extra bloody work... but the silent floor and deadened footfalls and moisture inhibition are such a boon... how can I not. Funny thing is that I will end up spending more on glue than the hardwood. I did install a 0.5 inch layer of ply before the wood, so at least I will not completely destroy my home when the wood comes off the floor and looking at the top layer, I think that in the future I will be able do screen and finish this floor at least one time in its life, so that will give me a good 10-15 year window of use before it needs to be done again. By then my kids should all have boyfriends or husbands I can abuse into helping me remove it and do something new.

I will get some pictures up when I get going.

One section...9 more to go.
Typically in wood, I do 3 rows at a time and nail the 3rd row. Seems to keep it stable enough for the kiddies to be all over it
16350077959521370576950510151764.jpg

I bit it and glued it, moisture barrier in my very moist house isn't bad call either.

16350078576581444181701849935990.jpg

I'm sitting here waiting on other people to get their crap together so I can be more productive. My brother is supposed to take trash out so I can clean up more (it's in the way & I can't lift it bc of my damn shoulder). I also need to clean litterboxes but back isn't cooperating. I will likely go do that in a bit. Waiting on a friend to call me to come paint in her kitchen as well. She hasn't read/answered any of my messages. Probably busy with work though.

Nailed it! Ok so not literally, it's glued..... you get the idea
20211023_154931.jpg

Probably one of the worst 147 sqft installs I have ever done, its all toe kicks and appliances. Oh well, the rest of the house is literally square rooms without closest. Doesn't get easier than that.

And before you bother Chris, I know my fridge is slanted... I am bloody tired man, I'll adjust it later :)

Looks Good! I have never adjusted a fridge in my life so I won’t knock you for yours being off. I was lookin on your counters to see if you had anything good to snack on though😁

I went on a bike ride with my brother this morning. Weather is perfect. Soaked in the hot tub after that then I cleaned up the garage with all my tools n stuff so the wife can fit her car in there. Took dad to his favorite Mexican restaurant for lunch then caught a cat nap in the easy chair. Just got done eating dinner and we all sat around the table coming up with a dinner menu for the week. My wife is out of town right now so you can imagine just how simple the dinner menu is for three dudes. Hamburgers, tacos, ribs… I did find my fondue pot while straightening stuff up so we’re gonna have beef fondue one night this week. Haven’t had that in a couple years. Mmm.

Mark, it looks great! Beautiful floors. Nice countertops! I spy a barn door on the side too. My friend wants a barn door between his kitchen and living room. I found a good track for around $40. Also found a Z-frame barn door that he likes for $220 (but with my discount it will be under $200 but tax will bring it back up to $217). Sales tax in Alexandria is 9.95% (which is better than the 10.45% in my town).

Friend never contacted me back about coming over to paint. There was a problem getting plumbing hooked up to the sink. They didn't let me seal the counter before putting the sink in. Fun times. Will probably have to do a very fine bead of clear silicone all the way around the perimeter of the sink.

My brother FINALLY came out to take the trash out-- after dark. At least he put a new bag in though. He usually leaves it without a bag so I have to put a bag in. After my nap I can get up and clean up the spill over from the trash can and have him take out the trash again tomorrow (since I know it will be filled up completely).

Aminatu (my calico) is up in my face licking my nose. LOL.

My friend wants a barn door between his kitchen and living room. I found a good track for around $40. Also found a Z-frame barn door that he likes for $220

Man, I think I built that door for about 40 dollars. I bought the wood and threw it together. I remember making the original version with just PAM hotmelt glue sticks... well let me tell you that was a mistake. This version is 18 gauge brads and.... you guessed it hot melt.

You can't buy a barn door, then it isnt a bloody barn door... its fashion :) You gotta build it like a hick, uneven gaps and all lol

Glad you like how it looks, I do too and it has been a great amount of work bit it gives my family a place to eat and congregate that isn't the couch so thats a win.

Nailed it! Ok so not literally, it's glued..... you get the idea
View attachment 13181
Probably one of the worst 147 sqft installs I have ever done, its all toe kicks and appliances. Oh well, the rest of the house is literally square rooms without closest. Doesn't get easier than that.
The fridge is supposed to slant a little so the door shuts. Makes it look like it's running fast.

Stormy weather.....
Barometer has dropped from 29.6 to 29.34 and it's not even windy yet. The satellite imagery says we're going to get wet and windy. The weather system stretches from the Oregon coast to the Aleutian Islands in Alaska.
The weather reports have mentioned the term 'bomb cyclone' I don't like words like that.
Maybe their trying to show off their vocabulary. I hope so. 😁
On the bright side, no mention of global warming and forest fires 😉

Well, the barometer may have bottemed out. It's at 28.96 for the last hour. I finally heard some wind pick up.
Offshore in the winter's been ripping pretty good since before 2:00 a.m. I'm only about 5 MI from the ocean, and up until 5 minutes ago and there's hardly been an occasional breeze.
I've never figured out why the wind doesn't move 5 or 10 miles inland. Usually, it just hugs the coastline.
The purple wind barbs in the image are just about kissing 60 mph. The closest of the purple barbs is 20 miles offshore. The orange ones just north of those, are about 40 miles per hour. They are about 20 miles off the coast.
The high wind forecast is supposed to go through 11:00 this morning. Seems kind of strange that so far there's only a light breeze, yet it's supposed to go away in 4 hours? Well we'll just hope the wind does its normal thing and stays offshore.
The image here is from Marine traffic.com it's kind of fun bebopping around the world to see all the ships out there attempting to bring us goods from third world countries..... Including fuel since we're not self-sufficient anymore.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211024-070100.png
    Screenshot_20211024-070100.png
    272 KB · Views: 15
Well that was excitin' 🥴
The wind scale said we only got up to blustery. I think we're down to breezy with occasional blusters. All those wind barbs coming in from the west, hit the beaches and stopped like it was a brick wall. If I drive into town today, all there will be is pine cones and some tiny broken off tree branches in the road. Only 3/10 of an inch of rain overnight but I think this next week is going to keep us damp.
Oh well, I had fun watching the barometric pressure drop as the evening wore on. I actually thought something might happen because I haven't seen a 28.9 in a very long time.

We are supposed to see the same thing but not until later this evening/tomorrow morning. See what happens. I got the generator all fueled up and changed the oil so she is good to go on a hard tear for 72 hours or so

We are supposed to see the same thing but not until later this evening/tomorrow morning. See what happens. I got the generator all fueled up and changed the oil so she is good to go on a hard tear for 72 hours or so
Well, it's headed north.
Stepped outside and there was.a pretty big gust. I figured it would be dying down. They do have a high surf warning with 30 to 37 ft breakers. Maybe it'll be a good day to look for seashells.
......not😁

Latest posts

Back