What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another 100 sqft bites the dust. God nail down is so much faster.. I mean I knew this bit when you see it side by side. Also, best room ever. No baseboard, no closet, its literally a square and hell... there isn't even a door..... on the floor.

16351155957476480740853655329259.jpg

Don't worry, the metal overlap won't be staying.

I don't know what hotmelt is so no idea how to use it. We were going to make a barn door, but when I priced out the lumber, it is cheaper to buy a pre-made one. Friend doesn't care about fashion, just wants function. He was working on a door when I went home today. Apparently something fell on his head after I left. He messaged my brother saying he might go to the ER if he felt worse. I hope he's ok.

We were both over at the other friend's house while he worked on electrical (but apparently I put my kit back in the house somewhere instead of having it in the truck). Probably in my tool bag. I hope anyway. Need to test it tomorrow to see why stuff was not working. I sanded the cabinets and countertop. I wish I'd been there when they were installing the countertop because I would have caught the big gauge in the countertop and had them flip it over before they cut it to put the sink in. There's a very deep chunk missing on the countertop in the left rear prep area. I will have to put wood filler in it and see if I can find something to color over it to make it look closer to the beech wood used (or just leave it that color) and seal it up after sanding when the stuff dries. I did recommend she put a mat or something over that spot to hide it.

She said she was going to vacuum up the sawdust afterward. I'm eager to get the sealant on the countertop so it doesn't get damaged. Still need to go over and re-seal counters at my other friend's house after I get the stains sanded out.

I FINALLY got my brother to take the trash out because he wanted me to drive him into town. He was supposed to bring his battery from his truck to get it replaced but he forgot about it and then said he didn't know what the right tools were so it is put off for another day. Tried jumpstarting it and it wouldn't work. Not only did he take the trash bag out, I mentioned that Mom would have a fit if we left without picking up the spilled trash in the living room and kitchen. So he actually picked up some trash in the kitchen & filled up another trash bag. I then filled a contractor bag and a half from the junk in the living room. Only put a small dent in the mess in there though. Mom has made a HUGE pile of bottles.

Bro just came in and said friend called and wants us to come check on friend. He fell asleep and is not supposed to if he has a concussion. Gonna go wake him up and sit with him.

Ahh. LOL. I'm absolutely terrible with hot glue. I end up getting more of it stuck to me than to my project so I don't mess with it anymore.

Went to see my friend. He decided to go to sleep against our advice but my brother stayed over there to make sure he's ok. Still waiting for him to call me to come get him. Hopefully my friend will be ok.

I went to Walmart to pick up groceries (stuff they were out of last time) and they actually had some of the stuff. Made the mistake of getting some muffins. I know I need to cut back on carbs but they were sooo good. LOL. Tomorrow I have to go to Sams to get more water since they have been limiting the # of bottles we can get per member. Also have to renew the samsclub membership as tomorrow is the last day. I can use the $98 in points I earned for shopping at sams the last several months.

As an aside, does anyone know of good soft (to step on) transitions to go from high pile carpet to vinyl sheet? I want to have a transition in the doorway from the bedroom to bathroom that won't get tripped over & won't hurt bare feet. Going to be replacing the really crappy linoleum that tore with sheet vinyl and there is a possibility it might not reach the carpet so there might be a slight gap. Looking for either blue or gray color. Not having much luck finding something that fits the bill.

Hard to tell without knowing what the transition area looks like. Sometimes a wood.trim might work for a transition, but if that would work, the carpet might need to be turned and tacked against the wood. You might or might not have enough carpet. If the floor on the carpet side and the bathroom side are not on the same level or plane, that might be difficult to make work. I'm talking about tapered wood reducers for wood flooring. They look sorta like a baseboard thats tapered.

When my wife cleans there are some things I’ll never see again for a long time. It’s been about 3 years since I’ve seen it but I found my fondue pot the other day so for dinner I made beef fondue with some Cesar salad, with anchovies!

As far as work goes, just another day on the floor.

5F000B87-45A5-4355-A2AE-4579968C9C8F.jpeg
37D7380A-5580-4EAB-9102-513FFF8DCDE9.jpeg
34D16919-3B10-4760-8DB8-50FA69B910C1.jpeg
6099F507-AA1E-4390-A53E-FDFEB4729A9D.jpeg
8F97CE17-A479-4095-8F52-7E710F468152.jpeg

Just got stared on a new one. Been so long since I removed a set of stairs like this, I forgot how stiff my hand would be the next day..... Lotsa staples to pull.
16 stairs, but the step height is under 7". Good Old people steps.

Attachments

• IMG_20211026_081733.jpg
    IMG_20211026_081733.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20211026_081810.jpg
    IMG_20211026_081810.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 15
The bottom step was interesting. They made a box base for the step and put a curved top on it which looks kind of goofy but I didn't suggest reshaping it. There's no room for a stapler to fasten the carpet underneath the overhang. Not even for any kind of tacker or tackhammer. It's got to get glued but I'm going to do this step a little bit different.

Attachments

• PXL_20211026_224307255.jpg
    PXL_20211026_224307255.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20211026_223959397.jpg
    PXL_20211026_223959397.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20211026_081913~2.jpg
    IMG_20211026_081913~2.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 15
Five or six years ago I made a tip for my hot glue gun to do a carpet on a curved set of stairs that were waterfall and wrapped on one side. It was one of those Milliken straight pile carpets, pretty thin stuff.
I did the entire stairway without using tacks on the mitered corners, just carefully applied hot glue.
This is the original stair edge.
I have three completed now, but I didn't take any pictures.
I did the top stare miter using only the stapler. The carpet backing is fairly nice but still even though the carpet doesn't get walked on, on these mitered corners, I'm going to very lightly edge seal both sides of the miter. As soon as those two sides of the miter are lightly sealed, I squirt hot glue about an 1/8 of an inch thick maybe less back and forth around the miter, then fold the two edges into the hot glue. As the hot glue slowly starts to firm up, you can press harder on the mitered edge and gently form it to the shape you want using an awl. I'm going to wipe a couple of my alls down with WD-40 so they don't stick to the hot glue so easy in case it oozes. If it loses, the hot food needs a few more seconds of cooling before pressing on it.
This leaves a pretty durable corner and you can still add a couple of staples when it's almost cool.
For kicks and giggles I put some blue tape around the corner and the hot glue is actually applied to that. Someday 20 years from now the hot glue won't be stuck to the wood it will be stuck to the tape.
..... I'll be dead by then but the other installer will appreciate it. I'm just so freaking thoughtful. 😁

Attachments

• IMG_20211026_081743~2.jpg
    IMG_20211026_081743~2.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20211026_090910~2.jpg
    IMG_20211026_090910~2.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20211026_090910~3.jpg
    IMG_20211026_090910~3.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20211027_232206652.jpg
    PXL_20211027_232206652.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20211027_232543799.jpg
    PXL_20211027_232543799.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 18
A lot of guys do the risers and the step in one piece but I'm doing it separately so I can control the risers edge a little better where it moves out onto the skirt board. The original one was not turned intact because the carpet is so bulky it would extend beyond the back edge of the stair tread.
They just folded the edge three eighths of an inch around the side and stapled it, I think they used some sealer to keep it from fraying.
I think I'm going to do the same but I will use hot glue. Doing the risers separately will make it easier to control the way of the edge of the carpet folds around the edge of the riser and onto the skirt. It will be easier to make them all the same. ......more consistent.

Attachments

• PXL_20211026_230600533.jpg
    PXL_20211026_230600533.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 14
Five or six years ago I made a tip for my hot glue gun to do a carpet on a curved set of stairs that were waterfall and wrapped on one side. It was one of those Milliken straight pile carpets, pretty thin stuff.
I did the entire stairway without using tacks on the mitered corners, just carefully applied hot glue.
This is the original stair edge.
I have three completed now, but I didn't take any pictures.
I did the top stare miter using only the stapler. The carpet backing is fairly nice but still even though the carpet doesn't get walked on, on these mitered corners, I'm going to very lightly edge seal both sides of the miter. As soon as those two sides of the miter are lightly sealed, I squirt hot glue about an 1/8 of an inch thick maybe less back and forth around the miter, then fold the two edges into the hot glue. As the hot glue slowly starts to firm up, you can press harder on the mitered edge and gently form it to the shape you want using an awl. I'm going to wipe a couple of my alls down with WD-40 so they don't stick to the hot glue so easy in case it oozes. If it loses, the hot food needs a few more seconds of cooling before pressing on it.
This leaves a pretty durable corner and you can still add a couple of staples when it's almost cool.
For kicks and giggles I put some blue tape around the corner and the hot glue is actually applied to that. Someday 20 years from now the hot glue won't be stuck to the wood it will be stuck to the tape.
..... I'll be dead by then but the other installer will appreciate it. I'm just so freaking thoughtful. 😁
Nice work. Back when I worked for Jim Walker, he would fire you for having a tacker or even tacks in your van. And we were doing a lot of double-upholstered steps.

Latest posts

Back