What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mark, it looks a bit cleaner. Hopefully it all goes well getting it streamlined. If you have any trouble, folks on the houserepairtalk forum electrical section can help out. I still need to get my electrical worked out. I have outlets & lights that don't seem to get power anymore. Not sure if it's one of the breakers or the wires along the way or the outlets/switches. Friend is supposed to help me figure it out, but I really need to get the house cleaned up first.
My brother did take out the trash after being asked multiple times. It was overflowing. I put a new bag in while he was hauling it out so that made him a little bit happier. I told him if we work as a team it will be easier but he's been feeling exhausted. I don't think he's taking his insulin properly. He was doing so much better on the once-a-week injection thing but his current insurance won't cover it.

Havasu, sounds like what happens in this area where the children of people who have power get special treatment. I remember the mayor's daughter in a smaller town I lived in before would automatically get parts in school plays even though she sucked. When she wanted a part, no one else was even allowed to audition for it. Kid couldn't carry a tune in a suitcase!

I stayed home and slept until around noon and then cleaned and cooked.

My best friend asked me to help him redesign his office in to a nursery for the baby. I still need to get measurements from him but he lost my measuring tape. I told him to always keep it in my tool bag over there when not in use but he forgot to put it away. I'll have to go over and help him look for it.

One of my desk fans (that I keep on my night stand) burned out and Walmart doesn't have any desk fans in stock. Looking at getting a Vornado to replace it since the working fan that is much older is a Vornado and is still running. I need to have a fan on each side to blow on my face if I sleep on my side. I have trouble sleeping otherwise. I'm spoiled. LOL.

Last night I had 8 cats and 2 dogs piled on me but it seems warmer tonight. Only 2 cats and one dog piled on me.

I went to my granddaughter's 5th grade volleyball game yesterday. One girl, who was absolutely horrible, was not rotated out in all 3 games, but was the direct cause of the loss of 51 points. I believe she is either the coaches daughter, or someone the coach wants to diddle?
This is my granddaughter when she was 5. She is 1/2 Mayan. They said she wasn't white enough for a "little Miss" contest.

523381_397108900359786_1580259388_n.jpg

Decided to go back down to my stair job today. Shop writes checks on Tuesdays. Sunday is incentive day this week.
When wrapping stairs, where do you put tools?
I used a 50 cent basket I got at Habitat restore, some strapping and a piece of dowel. Worked slick from the 16th stair down to the first one.
You just lift the basket, twist the dowel then move it down a couple of stairs as you move along.
I'll name it the H-BOT
(Hanging Bag O Tools)
I had to add carpet on the bottom because my hot glue gun tip melts right through it.

Attachments

• PXL_20211031_211841623.jpg
    PXL_20211031_211841623.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20211031_202939606.jpg
    PXL_20211031_202939606.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20211031_211834749.jpg
    PXL_20211031_211834749.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 16
Here's what I did on the stair miters.
I sealed the edges very lightly, then applied a 1/8" film of hot glue up inside the miter, then added a swath of hot glue where it seams together. Let it thicken for a few seconds, then slowly bring the edges together until they touch.
If the glue looks like its going to ooze out, give it a few more seconds. Once its thick enough, press the top of the miter firmly into the adhesive with an awl then quickly work your way down the seam before it's loses its pliability and stickness. keep pressing here and there until it solidifies. don't glue the bottom, just staple it.

Attachments

• PXL_20211031_211226201.jpg
    PXL_20211031_211226201.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20211031_211143855.jpg
    PXL_20211031_211143855.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20211031_211354961.jpg
    PXL_20211031_211354961.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20211031_211304674~2.jpg
    PXL_20211031_211304674~2.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 16
The images aren't in the right order, so y'all gonna have to figure it out. 😉
Here's what a corner looks like with no tacks in it.

Attachments

• PXL_20211031_211811863.jpg
    PXL_20211031_211811863.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I dont think I could afford to have you work on my house, then again.... I dont have any stairs 😁

I like people like you. Stairs suck. The shop didn't ask me to quote the job so they won't like me either. 😁

Not to mention I work 4 and 1/2 hours or so a day sometimes 5:00. The job is a little over 50 miles away from here.
The view is nice from in town.
In the last photo in the distance you can see a dock with some cranes on it. This little town doesn't have a harbor so the fishing boats are loaded onto the dock every time they come in.

Attachments

• PXL_20211101_000539360.jpg
    PXL_20211101_000539360.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20211028_193304675.jpg
    PXL_20211028_193304675.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20211101_000509216.jpg
    PXL_20211101_000509216.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20211028_193829820.jpg
    PXL_20211028_193829820.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20211028_193715177.jpg
    PXL_20211028_193715177.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 16
I’m not up to your level yet, High, but I’m gettin closer. 6 hours a day is about where I’m at now. A skilled journeyman that isn’t dickin the dog can produce a days work in 6 hours.
I'm not good at math I can do 3 hours of work in 4 and 1/2 hours.
How am I doin'?
I don't compete with anyone CJ so productivity is irrelevant in my case. I've watched a lot of installation videos of guys beating themselves to death trying to pump out 200 yards or 300 Staples per minute.
Those guys can go screw themselves........ just like they do the reputation of the flooring trade.
I've been very fortunate you might be getting into this trade straight out of high school and working for a lot of above average people shall I say. Not wealthy people, (except for the vice president of Boeing 😁 ), but people that can afford to buy nice materials and pay whatever it takes for installation costs. Most of my work is derived from those people over the years, or from additional work or references from them. Most of my work is done and then I write a bill. I don't usually need to give people a quote because they don't ask me. beforehand. Some do request a rough idea of what the cost will be and I try to hold to that and usually do.

Last edited:
Rusty, she is adorable! Those people who said she wasn't "white enough" deserve to be slapped. What a bunch of jerks! That sort of thing boils my blood.

Highup, looks very cool! I wish I was that creative.

Right now I'm trying to figure out what to replace our craptastic stove with. Mice got into the insulation and under the burners. I've done a thorough scrub of parts I can reach multiple times but I can't do anything about the insulation. If burners or oven get turned on it reeks of mouse urine and crap. Mom doesn't want another oven since we never use one. Right now I'm using a 2-burner portable cooktop. I like that it has actual buttons, but they are on top and cats can step on the controls to change settings if I turn away for a moment. I have to unplug it when not in use. It sometimes slides a little. I have it on top of the old range. I'm weighing my options.k

1. Keep the 2-burner portable cooktop, get a better power plug for it, remove the stove, and put in a cabinet and countertop underneath (I can find a 30" unfinished oak one from surplus warehouse for around $130). Then I would need some sort of countertop.
2. Get a new induction cooktop with 4 burnders and control lockout, put in a new base cabinet (probably have to be custom built or ordered) and countertop to set the new cooktop in and have drawers and storage underneath
3. Same as 2 but just have a somewhat open space underneath where maybe trash cans could be stuffed (if they won't get close enough to cooktop to melt)

There is also a new type of induction cooker that runs on 15 amps and heats through granite countertop.

But I'm pretty sure it's too expensive. I wish I could find a good cooktop with controls vertical at the back or something. I don't want my cats to be able to change settings. I'm also debating between 24" or 30". I have a 30" stove I think.

Any thoughts?

Decided to go back down to my stair job today. Shop writes checks on Tuesdays. Sunday is incentive day this week.
When wrapping stairs, where do you put tools?
I used a 50 cent basket I got at Habitat restore, some strapping and a piece of dowel. Worked slick from the 16th stair down to the first one.
You just lift the basket, twist the dowel then move it down a couple of stairs as you move along.
I'll name it the H-BOT
(Hanging Bag O Tools)
I had to add carpet on the bottom because my hot glue gun tip melts right through it.
Clever

I'm not good at math I can do 3 hours of work in 4 and 1/2 hours.
How am I doin'?
I don't compete with anyone CJ so productivity is irrelevant in my case. I've watched a lot of installation videos of guys beating themselves to death trying to pump out 200 yards or 300 Staples per minute.
Those guys can go screw themselves........ just like they do the reputation of the flooring trade.
I've been very fortunate you might be getting into this trade straight out of high school and working for a lot of above average people shall I say. Not wealthy people, (except for the vice president of Boeing 😁 ), but people that can afford to buy nice materials and pay whatever it takes for installation costs. Most of my work is derived from those people over the years, or from additional work or references from them. Most of my work is done and then I write a bill. I don't usually need to give people a quote because they don't ask me. beforehand. Some do request a rough idea of what the cost will be and I try to hold to that and usually do.

You are very fortunate to be in your position. A lot of places are all about numbers. How much can you do in a day. How much will it cost. You gotta stay and get it done today cus there’s another job tomorrow, furniture is being delivered or I’m having a party at 5 so you gotta be outta here. For years I had to compete with the Mexicans. If they could get it done in a day then I was also expected to get it done in a day or I didn’t get the job. Like it or not that was my reality for a solid 10 years and I’ve stayed late more times than I can count. I’m sure a lot of other installers can relate to that.

At 50 I’ve finally stumbled into a niche where the customers, and the shop, give me the amount of time that I want to complete a job. They like my quality and leave me be to do my thing. I’m not to your level of being able to name my price yet but I’ll take the progress I’ve made and be happy with it.

People in my sub said they had up to 715 kids knock on their door. There aren't that many kids in the hood. Shopping center at the front of the sub and it is packed with cars and vans. Pretty bad when they get back in here and ask for direction on how to get back to the shopping center. We quit giving out candy about 10 years ago because of it and some of the kids weere destructive.

No trick-or-treating in my area. Mayor banned it in town- I forget his bs reasons but I suspect he didn't want other people's filthy children coming anywhere near his posh house.
Since I'm out in the woods no one ever tried to trick-or-treat here. Haven't given out candy in 20+ years.

Highup, I'd rather have things done right than fast. Sure, fast would be nice if I need something in a hurry-- like getting plumbing fixed so we can use the toilet, but I want it to be done properly & not leak. So I am rather patient. I think I may have mentioned I heard a contractor said "You can have things good, you can have things fast, or you can have things cheap-- but you can't have all three at once". Floor laying is a precision job that takes time. I've seen what happens when it gets rushed or when people cut corners. Is it just me, or are people less patient these days?

It's chilly this morning but most of the kitties are eating right now. Fippy (the dog) is curled up with Mom so I only have a few kitties with me.

I dont think I could afford to have you work on my house, then again.... I dont have any stairs 😁

I like people like you. Stairs suck. The shop didn't ask me to quote the job so they won't like me either. 😁
Stairs were always my favorite part of a job. They did get old when I was doing Victorian homes with double upholstered steps.

It's half-off candy day at Walmart and one of the employees posted this:
1635797333065.png

I have to go to the post office and store to pick up prescriptions.

Latest posts

Back