What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has the Gestapo apologized for banning people and limiting free thought and speech pertaining to the origins of Covid?
This is exactly why free speech and discussion should be allowed on social media platforms. They banned people and removed content........ only to discover the banned comments are looking more accurate as time passes.
I love Canadians on YouTube.

....yes Mark, you too. 😉

When somebody gets censored or banned it makes me want to hear what they have to say just that much more. Maybe they are a nut job but we know that the people that ban and censor lie. Just let the information out and we will decide for ourselves.

Z, I wouldn’t worry bout using vasoline if you’re using a bearing bit. That’s just one more thing to clean up.

Spray adhesive works great for countertops and it’s quick too. Just watch for overspray. A piece of cardboard is great to use as a spray shield and mineral spirits will clean off any that gets past.

Yo brother, that’s way too liberal for a conservative to pull off 😜😜.... seriously that loft / hallway / working station and steps are probably 4 days labor with the low profile carpet. I can’t wait to see the completed pics, have fun Highup
It's a quarter mile of a gravel road that's got a 10% grade. I could only make it three quarters up the hill and phone the owner to come down and pick me up so I could do the measure. You think I want this job? 😁
I don't use a pick, so I'm not sure how I'd set up my stretching procedure. I typically use different length 4x4's to span odd shaped areas so I can make 90 degree stretches.

This is where the seams would be.
The wall next to the stairwell is 12 feet from the hallway seam, and I can make that farther out if needed. The second short seam is at a bedroom doorway. It's about 10 feet away from the stair wall. The two images are from each side looking to this balcony area.

Attachments

• PXL_20220112_232020433~2.jpg
    PXL_20220112_232020433~2.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 18
  • PXL_20220112_232033786~3.jpg
    PXL_20220112_232033786~3.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 21
Thanks, CJ.

Highup, that looks complicated & the lack of railing would give me vertigo. I would not want to go anywhere near the edge. I'm guessing they will be installing some sort of railing later?

I still remember when I was a kid my parents told me not to trust anything I saw on tv or the news- that people on TV were liars. Then one day I saw my dad on TV (for a news thing where they interviewed him). I apparently turned to my Mom and said "Is Daddy lying?" and was told that everyone except my dad was lying when they were on TV. Nowadays the news people would have muted or lowered his mic because he would sometimes get into debates and would just keep talking over the people who interrupted him.

I got my curbside pickup order. Lady who brought my order out was very sweet. I rejected one of the substitutions but told her over the phone which one I didn't want so she could pull it out ahead of time. Rolled down the window and had her drop the bags on the seat.

Got home and drank a full liter of water with a pack of EmergenC powder (vitamin C and Zinc). Something a doctor friend of mine recommended. Felt really sleepy right after but am feeling a teeny bit better now. Mild sinus headache, but could be worse. At least my mask smells nice fresh out of the wash.

On the countertop formica thing: Does this sound crazy?
I was thinking of tacking paint stirring sticks on two of the sides (back and left side) so that when I set the formica on it, it will line up without much overhang and then I can mark and cut the excess (leaving at least 1/4" room for error on right and front parts. I can use the marks to identify the edge of where I want to spread the glue. I'm still debating whether I should use spread on gel or spray on. I'm worried spray won't come out consistently but with gel I'll have more control. I would have to make sure the paint sticks lean back a little instead of forward so when I go to place the formica over the dowels, I can slide it in place and the sticks should help to get it to stay where I want it. I will keep in mind that the center part will have a hole for the sink so the front and back edges are where I'll be using the roller. I can knock the painting sticks off if they get in the way.

I'm also thinking of using the painting sticks on the underside of the front edge so that I can place the strip on it to have very little underhang and to keep it lined up so I don't have it crooked like all of the stickers on my VHS and audio cassette tapes.

Thanks, CJ. That info is very helpful. I was planning to mark the edges and only go a little past with the adhesive. Formica recommended a solvent spray (in their video they showed 3M 90 spray on contact cement). I like the idea of something being a little more forgiving than contact cement, but it's a bathroom countertop where there will be water so I don't want the adhesive to break down because of water. I think I'll stick with the ball-bearing thing and make sure I clean it between uses. Would putting vaseline on it actually be a good thing? Or would it gunk it up?

I've been very tired today. Had arrhythmia earlier. Have irritation/itcthing/tickling in my trachea and chest. Sinus headache. Feeling slightly nauseous still. I took something for the headache but it didn't kick in.

My friend's gf tested positive for Covid. She has a fever, lung & chest pain, & diarrhea. Her baby now has a fever and diarrhea. The people who gave her Covid are feeling really crappy & having fevers but apparently they have been going to Walmart every day (more than once per day) even after being diagnosed. I alerted a friend who works at Walmart so he would stay clear of them. He told me they are up there constantly and that so many people are coming in sick and the store might have to shut down. He actually stopped to talk to me from a distance the day I was exposed and saw the people who exposed me behind me in line. He also said that since he's a manager there, if I order stuff for curbside pickup, he'll make sure they bring stuff out to me so I don't have to come in the store.

I did make sure to be somewhat productive today. I swept the hallway, wiped the counters down (muddy cat pawprints all over), and am working on laundry. I need to check the dryer and see if it's done. I do deep clean sanitize which takes about 2 hours and then I put it on low heat dry for 1hr 15min. Usually have to put it in for another 15 to 30min to get it to dry, but 1hr15 is the max it will do on timed dry.

If I continue to feel sick or if I get worse I'll go get tested. I hear there are meds people can take to alleviate symptoms and speed things along.
zannej it really surprises me is that people are allowed to walk around and mingle with others knowingly that they are infected

zannej it really surprises me is that people are allowed to walk around and mingle with others knowingly that they are infected
I think most people are just done with the whole Covid thing. I know I am. Pretty much every thing we’ve been told about it is BS, politically/ financially motivated or just made up on the fly because what we’ve been told keeps changing. Give it two weeks (two years later). Take the shot and you’re safe (now you need a booster, second booster, third and a fourth). Wear a mask. Don’t wear a mask. Wear a mask again. Quarantine for two weeks. Quarantine for 5 days. The shot isn’t that effective. People that get repeated shots have weakened immune systems (now you are a customer for life as if you weren’t already). The tests are inaccurate. The best one is I just heard on the tv the other day that if you’re a health care worker (in AZ) and you are asymptomatic then you don’t need to quarantine at all and can continue to work as long as you wear a mask. If they don’t have to quarantine then why do I? Look at Israel, Japan, India and the success or failure they’ve had. How about infection rates in states with heavy restrictions and mask mandates compared to those in ‘freedom’ states.

Can you now see why people don’t care.

I don't care what virus it is-- Covid, Flu, cold, etc-- if you KNOW you are sick and you KNOW you can spread it to someone by standing in close proximity to them for more than 15min & you choose to stand very close and yabber at them for an extended period of time instead of saying "Hey, I'm sick, don't want to get you sick, will keep my distance" then its inconsiderate at the very least. Not quite as bad as deliberately coughing on people-- which someone did to a friend of mine (pre-Covid & the coughing people had colds), but still incredibly rude. As an aside, the friend who got coughed on by people deliberately was immune compromised and had to spend several days in the hospital because of it. The people who yabbered at me know I have medical conditions & know I'm my mother's caregiver and that she's at risk. Part of the problem is that the whole mess has become politicized.

IMO, whether a virus is fatal or not, I consider it rude to knowingly spread it. Before Covid, if I was sick, I avoided people. I would tell them "I'm sick, please stay back so I don't get you sick". I would try to stay home if I could, but it wasn't always possible.

On another topic, my friend's batshit gf just informed him that she wants to break up with him and move into her own apartment, but she wants him to pay for everything for her. He can't even afford his own place much less an apartment for her. He packed her stuff up and told her as soon as she's done with quarantine, she can move her stupid ass out, but he's not paying for anything for her. (of course he says that, but we all know she'll beg him for $ and he'll give it to her and then not be able to afford the bills).

Last edited:
Found out which countries are bringing 266 Omicron cases into NZ but with these numbers coming into NZ we have been lucky so far

The ministry said there have now been 266 Omicron cases detected at the border since the start of December, with more than 18,000 people being processed through managed isolation and quarantine facilities in that time.

The 43 new cases at the border came from Australia, Singapore, UAE, Fiji and the USA.
Yesterday there were 28 new community cases, with 13 in MIQ.

At the moment here I am glad that everybody has to wear a mask out and about along with any function people attend having to show a card saying that they have been double dosed, no card no entry as my immunity system is down for a little while, meaning I dont have to stay home

I'm slightly surprised that its coming from Singapore. They are pretty controlling there. I wonder if they were visitors to Singapore and not natives. Or maybe things have changed a lot since I lived there.

I've heard that fake vaccination cards are a thing.

I'm sitting here with a cat on my lap listening to my nose whistle every time I breathe.

As a complete aside, I was thinking of old Sears catalogs where they had the toilet skirts, toilet seat covers, toilet tank skirts, bathmats, etc and they were over carpet. Anyone here dealt with carpet in a bathroom before?
I remember my house had carpet in two of the bathrooms when we moved in.

I'm slightly surprised that its coming from Singapore. They are pretty controlling there. I wonder if they were visitors to Singapore and not natives. Or maybe things have changed a lot since I lived there.

I've heard that fake vaccination cards are a thing.

I'm sitting here with a cat on my lap listening to my nose whistle every time I breathe.

As a complete aside, I was thinking of old Sears catalogs where they had the toilet skirts, toilet seat covers, toilet tank skirts, bathmats, etc and they were over carpet. Anyone here dealt with carpet in a bathroom before?
I remember my house had carpet in two of the bathrooms when we moved in.
There was carpet in bathrooms here years ago but one had to lay a sheet vinyl product to stop any :spills" going through the carpet damaging the timber type sub flloor, directly over concrete was okay, I think from memory. Now days one never sees carpet in a bathroom

They didn't put anything under the carpet in my bathrooms-- which is why the floor rotted and the toilet fell through the floor with my brother on it.

Just had another argument with my brother because he was trying to incorrectly explain something to me that I actually knew about (Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs). He was calling it by the wrong name and explaining it all wrong but trying to act like the authority on it. I reminded him that I'm the one with the college degree and that I did study Sociology, Psychology, and Business. MHN was discussed in all three in my classes. Particularly business because we discussed how appeasing workers became harder. Once they had basic needs filled, they wanted more. But he didn't know what he was talking about and was lecturing me about it. I very rarely interrupt him to tell him I already know something or I've heard it before. I usually let him blather on. But he was so condescending about it as if I didn't know after I repeatedly told him I knew how it worked. He claimed I was only pretending to know. Had a little tantrum and went to his room calling me names. LOL.

I wonder 🤔 how it would look running the 12’ perpendicular to the angled walls ? This would eliminate those two seams . Got a pic of the carpet sample ?
This is the carpet that was chosen.
I'll show a sketch of the layout tomorrow. If it was perpendicular to that wall then there'd be four bedrooms and hallways would have to be installed at an angle too. It would also cross over the top step at an angle.
I have total control over the price, so it's whether or not I want to do the job that's the issue.
The location is a little ways up the river and only about 6 mi from town. The driveway is a quarter mile long at a 10% grade upwards. I need to throw a couple of 100 lb sandbags in the back of the pickup to get up there. All of the carpeting is upstairs so there be a 21-ft, a 24-ft, and a 25 ft carpet that would need to get carried through the house and snaked up the stairway.
After the work I've done this past year I'm getting kind of sick of stairways. Stairways didn't seem to bother me 25 years ago. 😁

Attachments

• PXL_20220111_225709902.jpg
    PXL_20220111_225709902.jpg
    340.6 KB · Views: 22
  • PXL_20220114_001511935.jpg
    PXL_20220114_001511935.jpg
    405.5 KB · Views: 19

Latest posts

Back