What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found out which countries are bringing 266 Omicron cases into NZ but with these numbers coming into NZ we have been lucky so far

The ministry said there have now been 266 Omicron cases detected at the border since the start of December, with more than 18,000 people being processed through managed isolation and quarantine facilities in that time.

The 43 new cases at the border came from Australia, Singapore, UAE, Fiji and the USA.
Yesterday there were 28 new community cases, with 13 in MIQ.

At the moment here I am glad that everybody has to wear a mask out and about along with any function people attend having to show a card saying that they have been double dosed, no card no entry as my immunity system is down for a little while, meaning I dont have to stay home
I've always had a beard so Mass doesn't do me any good but I wear one because they tell me to. In stores around here nobody kicks you out if you're not wearing one. The auto parts store, the hardware store and a lot of other places don't enforce mask wearing in many of the employees don't wear masks. When the governor mandated that everyone must wear a mask, our county sheriff's and police departments refuse to enforce the state mandate. Vaccinations don't stop transmissions of Covid, so in reality the mandates are forcing people to protect their own self and no one else. The only purpose of the vaccine is to keep people
I think most people are just done with the whole Covid thing. I know I am. Pretty much every thing we’ve been told about it is BS, politically/ financially motivated or just made up on the fly because what we’ve been told keeps changing. Give it two weeks (two years later). Take the shot and you’re safe (now you need a booster, second booster, third and a fourth). Wear a mask. Don’t wear a mask. Wear a mask again. Quarantine for two weeks. Quarantine for 5 days. The shot isn’t that effective. People that get repeated shots have weakened immune systems (now you are a customer for life as if you weren’t already). The tests are inaccurate. The best one is I just heard on the tv the other day that if you’re a health care worker (in AZ) and you are asymptomatic then you don’t need to quarantine at all and can continue to work as long as you wear a mask. If they don’t have to quarantine then why do I? Look at Israel, Japan, India and the success or failure they’ve had. How about infection rates in states with heavy restrictions and mask mandates compared to those in ‘freedom’ states.

Can you now see why people don’t care.
I have a beard so how well do you think a mask affects me or 30% of the men in the town I live in. Everybody just wears the blue mask. I don't think I've seen data that proves masks are effective anyway. Our governor mandated that everyone and every business require people to wear masks. Our county sheriff and I think our local police departments both stated that they will not enforce the law.
They publicly came out against the mandate because they don't believe it's constitutional. They're not against wearing masks, they're against the government forcing people to wear masks.
With all the limitations, all the shutdowns, all of the businesses and lives destroyed because of the government's rules, how come the infection rate hasn't gone down? How come covid has not disappeared?
The vaccinations have probably helped the first version of Covid to morph off into more version, versions that aren't affected by the vaccine. The latest version of covid is weaker and the hospitalization rates are much lower if you catch it.
People are simply tired of this thing and have decided to get on with their life.
Did I just hear that New York started putting out the true covid rates in hospitals?
They tried to make it look bad by saying there was a thousand people in the hospital because of covid.
Now it's not a thousand it's only 500 or 400? Well how can that be?
It appears that there were actually 1,000 people in the hospital that had covid. What they didn't tell you is that 600 people went into the hospital for reasons unrelated to covid such as broken legs or a heart attacks, but everyone that went into the hospital was of course tested for covid.
If you broke your leg and went into the hospital and tested positive for covid...... They implied that you were in the hospital because of covid and they counted you as a covid case.
Just one more reason why you can't trust the government, nor the hospitals.
You see, if you went into the hospital because of covid, they get a big fat check. If you go into the hospital for a broken leg, they don't get a covid check. The hospitals aren't stupid, they're just crooks.
When I go to stores or other places and I've touched door knobs and push doors open or whatever I realize that covid could be transmitted that way quite easily.
When I get back out to my truck I swish a little 90% rubbing alcohol on my hands and.....
......and get on with my life. May not work forever, but I've got to make some sort of a living so I go to work when I got work.
Since covid rearrd it's ugly head, I've probably stopped at a minimum of two places every single day since then. Today I only stopped at 4 stores and visited a friend of mine for a couple of hours after taking my battery charger over there in hopes of reviving the battery in his 1970 Z28.
On a typical day I'll stop at the Carpet One store, and the warehouse, the grocery store and one convenience store..... That's probably been my average for the last couple of years. I probably should have gotten covid 10 times in that span with my horrible behavior.
I guess I'm bulletproof till I get shot. 😁

Last edited:
My wife is doing good after her surgery, but goes back next Wed, for another one. So far today, I have walked the dog, fed her and the cat, fixed my wife breakfast, did laundry, took the bath seat back that we borrowed(the one I bought came in yesterday). did dishes and went to the post office and mailed a package to my stepson. And it is almost noon.

When they started listing heart attack and car accident victims deaths as covid deaths simply because they were tested positive....
That's kind of when people started not trusting the government or the hospitals.
Trump getting all the blame for covid exploding in this country and is the vaccine rolled out Trump was about to be replaced by Biden.
The Biden administration and the media said Trump had no distribution plan and he is screwing this up and they were going to save us and get this thing under control. The Biden administration bragged about their progress on the number of doses everybody was getting. Record numbers a vaccinations. Yahoo we're going to get this control!
......okee dokee, that's not working so good so now we need booster shots...... Maybe more than one of them?
There are medical professionals that disagree with the immunization process and the information from the CDC. They are not allowed to speak because you can't find them on Google and they're not allowed to talk on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter or they get banned.
Just banning the discussion pisses off a lot of us. I want to hear both sides. So what's happening, more speculation and more distrust because we're not allowed to hear anything but what the government or the liberal media allows us to hear. It's extremely frustrating not being able to trust the main sources of information because the output is predetermined by censorship.
The CDC changed the definition of vaccine, and the smoke and mirrors, dog and pony show continues to create distrust.
https://www.citizensjournal.us/the-cdc-suddenly-changes-the-definition-of-vaccine-and-vaccination/Masks at first were not effective, then we needed to have masks.
Then we needed the m95 mask.
It's it's a rarity when I see one of those. I have a beard and I'm not shaving mine so my mask is a waste of time but I'm required to wear one.
Fouchi sai doubling up on the masks is even better.
At first you were supposed to quarantine for 14 days and then they changed it to 10 and what is it now? Four or five..... Six?
From the very beginning it's obvious they're just making stuff up and every time they get it wrong they change the rules.
That's the reason I simply go on with my life. I haven't changed anything that I do in my daily life with the exception of wearing a mask when I go to the grocery store. I wear a mask in other businesses where I see the employees and other people wearing a mask, but many places don't give a rat's ass if you were one or not.
I've always carried a bottle of alcohol in my car and I do splash some on my hands because I think that's the most effective way to not get covid..... We handle a lot of things and we touch our face and pick our nose hand rubber eyes so..... For additional protection, I think it's best to wash the covid from the inside out with alcohol too, because covid appears to be very smart and by putting alcohol on the inside of the body..... well, I just think Covid wouldn't expect that to happen. If covid is going to be sneaky then I'm going to be sneaky 😁

My wife is doing good after her surgery, but goes back next Wed, for another one. So far today, I have walked the dog, fed her and the cat, fixed my wife breakfast, did laundry, took the bath seat back that we borrowed(the one I bought came in yesterday). did dishes and went to the post office and mailed a package to my stepson. And it is almost noon.
I put a bunch of jeans in the washing machine and I'm on my second cup of coffee.
Reading all about you've done so far today has made me tired and I think I'll just go back to sleep. 😁
Your wife is a lucky woman!

I'm still feeling tired today. It was warmer today so I figured it would be a good time to go out and try to cut the blackberry weeds out back with my mini chainsaw. Problem is, I have to hold each individual vine/branch to cut and it was taking a long time. Burned through one battery. Started on another and realized I was sweating and getting short of breath. Decided I need something more aggressive that can take out more weeds but needed to rest. I did go for a brief walk and took some deep breaths of the fresh air. Then I started sneezing. Went inside and was sneezing so one of the cats every so helpfully stuck her entire butthole in my face before sitting on my chest and rolling her side toward my face. One of the kitties is sneezing now.

My friend's gf ran off last night after he wouldn't agree to pay for her to live on her own. Came back and gave him some long speech about how she wasn't ready to settle down (red flag that she's found someone else she wants to date but wants him to still financially support her). She doesn't want to take the baby with her if/when she leaves because she wants to be "free". He told her "Cool. You do you. Now get the f*** away from me!" In the past when she said she wanted to leave him he pleaded with her to stay and did everything he could to make her happy so she would stay. He wants her to take the baby but the baby would be better off in foster care than with her. She *will* hurt that baby. I already saw her yank him up by his arms and throw him across the room bc she was mad that he crapped in his diaper.

Rusty, I hope next surgery will go well for your wife.

I wonder 🤔 how it would look running the 12’ perpendicular to the angled walls ? This would eliminate those two seams . Got a pic of the carpet sample ?
Here's what I drew up on my Cambridge manual measuring program. 😁 It ain't a fancy program, but it gives me something to "draw on" 😉
I figured $4300 or nothing. My numbers will get mixed into the stores pricing so if they can deal with the total amount then I guess I'll be doing a job that I don't want to do.
I figured somewhere around 190 yards of carpet including some additional for pattern matching in case it's necessary.
What's that old saying? Go big or go home?

Attachments

• PXL_20220114_231734140~5.jpg
    PXL_20220114_231734140~5.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Here's what I grew up on my Cambridge manual measuring program. 😁 It ain't a fancy program, but it gives me something to "draw on" 😉
I figured $4300 or nothing. My numbers will get mixed into the stores pricing so if they can deal with the total amount then I guess I'll be doing a job that I don't want to do.
I figured somewhere around 190 yards of carpet including some additional for pattern matching in case it's necessary.
What's that old saying? Go big or go home?

That’s a decent price for a job you don’t necessarily want to do. I don’t want to ever touch carpet again but I do believe I would for that price as well.

That’s a decent price for a job you don’t necessarily want to do. I don’t want to ever touch carpet again but I do believe I would for that price as well.
My days don't usually go much over 4 and a half hours. I figured I'd be there for 2 weeks. I double tack strip jobs like this and I probably have to buy a couple of 4x4s to span the railing so I can stretch off of it. Every trip with my tools is going to be a minimum of 50 ft plus a trip up and down the curvy set of 16 stairs..... Including the pad the carpet in the vacuum the hose......
It's going to be a lot of work and the hardest part is going to be that angled area and the messy upstairs loft area. The four individual rooms themselves are not that big a deal. Two of them have 2 ft x 12 ft seams. Another bedroom is 12 ft 2 1/2 in wide. Not 11 ft 11, but 12' 2 1/2. Not even withholding your breath on because it ain't going to work without the seam 🙄
The best and worst thing that could happen is the customer says yes...
....or no. 😁

I don't like the shop losing money by not getting a job of this size but they also don't want me working this job for free or for cheap. They're extremely understanding and she told me I'm the only guy that can do this job. I live in an area where there's a limited number of people to choose from and most installers aren't all that picky. There's a handful that are pretty good but they don't like difficult work anymore than I do so they'd simply refuse the job in the first place.
I'm refusing to do the job in my own subtle way. 😉
I feel very fortunate that the shop allows me to price the jobs that they offer me. They don't give me a sheet that says how much they're going to pay. They let me give them my price. I know this kind of relationship is extremely rare in this business. It makes me feel like an actual human being instead of another brick of the wall to be screwed over.

Cambridge graph paper is a manual program that I sometimes use. My humor was interrupted by a phone call so I didn't notice that my graph paper image didn't appear when I commented about my pricing..
A joke loses some of its effect when you have to explain it. 😁

Go back up a couple spaces and you can see my layout sketch.

Last edited:
That looks complicated, Highup.

I'm awake bc my friend's gf called around midnight to say my friend was going to the ER. Difficulty breathing and he was coughing up large amounts of blood. They made him wait in his car for a long time and then put him in a room. They don't do monoclonal antibodies here so they ran some tests-- Covid, strep throat, etc. Prescribed prednisone and told him to take tylenol.

I'm craving a grilled cheese sandwich now but I know if I cook Mom will want some too and I don't feel like cooking extra. LOL. I can't ever make something for myself without having to make her something unless she's already been fed or isn't hungry. But I at least have to ask her or she gets mad. Sometimes she gets mad if I don't share food with her even when it's stuff she claims she doesn't like.

That looks complicated, Highup.

I'm awake bc my friend's gf called around midnight to say my friend was going to the ER. Difficulty breathing and he was coughing up large amounts of blood. They made him wait in his car for a long time and then put him in a room. They don't do monoclonal antibodies here so they ran some tests-- Covid, strep throat, etc. Prescribed prednisone and told him to take tylenol.

I'm craving a grilled cheese sandwich now but I know if I cook Mom will want some too and I don't feel like cooking extra. LOL. I can't ever make something for myself without having to make her something unless she's already been fed or isn't hungry. But I at least have to ask her or she gets mad. Sometimes she gets mad if I don't share food with her even when it's stuff she claims she doesn't like.
The complicated part is mainly the angle part. The carpet and it's structural backing, is made in straight lines or rows. The backing is actually grids like graph paper. made that way for strength.
If this was a plain old straight cut pile fuzzy carpet, the issues and concerns would be considerably less yet still a bit difficult because you want to stretch equally in two directions.
The angle adds a third, less user friendly direction.
The Cambridge CAD image below 😉 will help you better imagine what happens when you stretch carpet at an angle.
Let's say that you have a piece of chain link fence laying on the ground and it's 12 ft wide and 20 ft long.
You and your friend stand at each end of the fencing and pull as hard as you can. The fencing will stretch a little bit.
Now change positions and each of you stand opposite each other across the width of the fence.
Once again you both pull straight away from each other and the chain link fence will stretch a little bit.
Okay here's the difference.
The center section of this room, the balcony, is it a 45° angle to the other rooms.
OK, so now you and your friend go back to opposite ends of the fence. This time, instead of pulling straight away from each other, you each go to opposite corners of the fence and pull.
Here's what happens. The carpet will stretch a lot more and making it hard to keep the rows parallel.
If you did a lousy or sloppy job stretching this area and we're someday called to restretch a small wrinkle...... You could have a total nightmare. Maybe something unfixable unless there was a lot of carpet leftover. Angles are a game changer. Without that angled balcony/hall/storage area connecting the two halves of the upstairs together, I'd probably cut my labor figure almost in half.

Attachments

• PXL_20220115_085406414.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220115_085406414.MP.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20220115_085417784.jpg
    PXL_20220115_085417784.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Yeah, I figured trying to stretch carpet on a diagonal would be problematic. It's like fabric and stretching on the bias instead of stretching with or across grain so to speak. It can cause distortions.

So, last night I told my friend's gf to make sure the people she's working with when she *had* to come in or get fired were aware that she had Covid. Apparently the manger there saw she looked sick, asked if she was ok, she told them she tested positive 3 days ago and was still sick but HR and her regular manager insisted she had to come in. They said "WTF? NOPE! GO HOME!" and sent her home. They also told her that she wasn't even on the schedule this week so someone is dicking her around. She's going to call her manager and HR and record them (single party recording rule here) so she has proof of their bs. If they try to fire her she can go to a lawyer over wrongful termination. They apparently just fired a cook for having Covid and having to miss work. I don't care if someone has the flu or Covid-- if they are sick and they are contagious, they shouldn't be fired for missing work. Especially in the food industry. Making people go to work sick is what gets other workers sick and customers sick and then everyone is sick. One of the reasons I was glad about self-checkouts being a thing was because I used to get sick from cashiers who were made to work while sick and I got sick less often when I didn't have an extra person spreading crud.

Aaand, fat cat decided he just *has* to climb on me now and get up in my face. I'm feeling bleh today but probably bc I didn't get enough sleep and the acid reflux incident yesterday didn't help my stomach feel any better.

Kind of a pickle, would you center the picture on the wall or the bed? There is a window that screws things up and the bed is not centered on remaining wall due to room. the picture closest to corner of bed is center of wall from window to corner. I made a frame for my rug picture of my dog Coco.
1642269645249.jpeg
1642269704084.jpeg

Just hope the roads clear up by morning. Tomorrow I have to make a 60 mile round trip to take a saliva sample (from my wife) to the hospital to be tested for covid, so she can have surgery Wed. Right now the state says the road is ice covered.

Kind of a pickle, would you center the picture on the wall or the bed? There is a window that screws things up and the bed is not centered on remaining wall due to room. the picture closest to corner of bed is center of wall from window to corner. I made a frame for my rug picture of my dog Coco.
View attachment 13846View attachment 13847
Probably the bed. Kind of depends on if anything else is on the wall. That's some real artwork, pretty neat. I never got any further than a 4-ft square Playboy bunny logo. I think I use paper grocery sacks for the pattern.

Latest posts

Back