What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom, I hope you enjoy retirement.

CJ, the grandkids thing only works if you have them. Or if they are actually willing to put down their video games/phones long enough.

Rusty, I hope you get feeling better. I cut weeds in my yard the other day and arms wouldn't stop shaking for an hour afterward.

Highup, I hope the warehouse guy helps.

Still hot here. Also, bought something off e-bay that said it had ALL of the hardware (including bolts etc). I asked the seller to make sure. So, it arrives and it is missing $45 worth of hardware and seller isn't responding to messages. I'm gonna give him a couple more days and leave a bad review if he doesn't respond.

Tom, I hope you enjoy retirement.

CJ, the grandkids thing only works if you have them. Or if they are actually willing to put down their video games/phones long enough.

Rusty, I hope you get feeling better. I cut weeds in my yard the other day and arms wouldn't stop shaking for an hour afterward.

Highup, I hope the warehouse guy helps.

Still hot here. Also, bought something off e-bay that said it had ALL of the hardware (including bolts etc). I asked the seller to make sure. So, it arrives and it is missing $45 worth of hardware and seller isn't responding to messages. I'm gonna give him a couple more days and leave a bad review if he doesn't respond.
I'm the helper..... I'm not installing anything there, just got asked to assist. 😉

for retirement. Less than 4 weeks to go. I
: A message To all retired flooring installers and Tom.
Fantastic Tom, congratulations 🍾...savor ever day of the four weeks, because ! Believe it or not, it will be missed. I’m dreading the day when my body says no more, no more and it’s coming soon. As much as this trade sucks, it’s ours ! We accept, and have accepted her. maybe not always willingly, but once the knees hit the ground the game face comes on and we turn it into a floor.......Walk or Crawl away with pride in a carrier well done, well done ! Live well and long in retirement. ✌️

Fantastic Tom, congratulations 🍾...savor ever day of the four weeks, because ! Believe it or not, it will be missed. I’m dreading the day when my body says no more, no more and it’s coming soon. As much as this trade sucks, it’s ours ! We accept, and have accepted her. maybe not always willingly, but once the knees hit the ground the game face comes on and we turn it into a floor.......Walk or Crawl away with pride in a carrier well done, well done ! Live well and long in retirement. ✌️
I sure miss the trade.

At least you have the memories and the knowledge to pass on to others.

Today is cooler than the weekend. Been calling the AC guy and getting an answering machine. This is the reason I switched to a different guy- bc this guy never returns my calls anymore. He's the one who installed the unit and now he won't respond and I don't know why. We always pay and are nice to the employees. But I think the old man doesn't do the work anymore and the people he has working for him don't like coming out here. I dunno.

I called before lunch and then called over 2 hours later. I don't want to be a Karen but I really want this fixed. How many times is too many for calling?

I've asked my friend to call because they actually call him back.

My router died today. Wouldn’t turn on. Brushes are still good so I’m not sure what it is. Switch? Cord? Don’t know and I’m not gonna waste any time tryin to figure it out so it got deep 6’d and I’ll buy another one just like it. Might even get the plunge base this time.

Put a 4th coat of Waterlox on the benches and damn if it doesn’t look good. I’ll look at them in the morning and see if I even need to put a coat of wax on them.

060A66DA-D347-4877-B210-B47BC5826F3B.jpeg
ACBC961D-6D36-45D3-8EE8-C4F1F9865251.jpeg

Delivering is the dookie end of the stick. I’ll come on up and we’ll install that job then grab some fresh smoked salmon to eat with all the chedda we will be makin off of a job that’s already delivered.
Customers in a hurry and that's why we took the material down there to acclimate. Walls are painted but the sheetrock dust is 1/8 in thick on the floor, kitchen counters have not been started yet, the heat is not on, the door to the garage is a sheet of plywood. The front door is a sheet of plywood.
It would have been much better off acclimating this material at the warehouse where it's warmer and dryer. What a waste of a trip.

CJ, those tables are gorgeous! I'm glad your router is working again.

Highup, sorry your trip was wasted.

Friend found me a contact for a guy who used to live out in my area and who does AC repair. He didn't turn up on my google searches. I used to pass his truck from time to time but never was able to get the number off of it. Called him and he was very polite. Said he's booked up today but will try to send someone out tomorrow. I had to figure out how to send a text message to him to tell him address and problem. He was nice about it-- I told him I don't do much texting and don't get good signal and he said he understands. He confirmed getting the text. Hopefully they can come tomorrow and fix the issue.
But not having a model number on the unit might be a problem.
Fortunately, its been raining today to keep it cloudy & is cooler.

Edit: Original AC people finally called back and came out. I canceled with the other guy and he said to let him know if he can be of service later on. I think he does electrical so I may take him up on that at some point. As I suspected, it was a bad fan motor. They had one on the truck and swapped them out. Rained on them and one got snagged with blackberry thorns so I tipped them. One guy accepted my offer for an otter pop (flavored ice in a plastic sleeve). I hope he like it.

I got soaked in the rain and am trying to dry off. Also just enjoying working AC again.

Last edited:
So apparently the motor on my router got a dead spot. The cure was to slowly rock the on/ off switch back n forth so it arcs and burns the dead spot away? That’s what I remember of the conversation. Who knows. All I know is dude pulled my router out of the garbage, fiddled with it for a couple minutes and damn if it wasn’t working. Anybody else ever heard of this?

@highup thats what jobs look like a lot these days. As far as I’m concerned if the material has been delivered, I’m good with working around a lot of things. You have flexibility if you’re doing a whole house, or at least multiple rooms. Countertops are usually a one day deal. In n out. I’ll work in another room that day.

Doors? What are we installing again? LVP, don’t care too much about doors. I can figure out where a door should be and be close enough to get a modified transition to cover whatever gap I have. 1/2” tolerance so a 3/4” strip will cover. I’ll cut the transition and leave it for you to put on after you get your doors installed.

If it’s laminate then you gotta decide what kind of installer you wanna be. A professional installer that says the job site ain’t ready and goes home or the guy that makes a paycheck. Anymore I’m the guy that makes a paycheck. People think they are smarter than the professional. Who am I to let them down. I’ll advise you what you should do but a couple doors and no heat haven’t stopped me in the past. If it’s a decent enough product you won’t have issues. And if you do have issues I’ll say I told you so as we’re looking at whatever problem you have and scratching our heads. I’ll even say it in the nicest yet condescending way cus you know more than me😏.

Anyway, back to all the money well be making. You like salmon, jimmy? I like salmon. I’ll butter up the customers soooo good they’ll have fresh baked cookies waiting for us when we show up. Yeah, we’re gonna have to vacuum up the sheetrock dust and caulk the base when we’re done but we’re taking about fresh baked cookies and salmon.

Word to the wise, eat your cookies before you go pulling and resetting the toilet😝

So apparently the motor on my router got a dead spot. The cure was to slowly rock the on/ off switch back n forth so it arcs and burns the dead spot away? That’s what I remember of the conversation. Who knows. All I know is dude pulled my router out of the garbage, fiddled with it for a couple minutes and damn if it wasn’t working. Anybody else ever heard of this?

@highup thats what jobs look like a lot these days. As far as I’m concerned if the material has been delivered, I’m good with working around a lot of things. You have flexibility if you’re doing a whole house, or at least multiple rooms. Countertops are usually a one day deal. In n out. I’ll work in another room that day.

Doors? What are we installing again? LVP, don’t care too much about doors. I can figure out where a door should be and be close enough to get a modified transition to cover whatever gap I have. 1/2” tolerance so a 3/4” strip will cover. I’ll cut the transition and leave it for you to put on after you get your doors installed.

If it’s laminate then you gotta decide what kind of installer you wanna be. A professional installer that says the job site ain’t ready and goes home or the guy that makes a paycheck. Anymore I’m the guy that makes a paycheck. People think they are smarter than the professional. Who am I to let them down. I’ll advise you what you should do but a couple doors and no heat haven’t stopped me in the past. If it’s a decent enough product you won’t have issues. And if you do have issues I’ll say I told you so as we’re looking at whatever problem you have and scratching our heads. I’ll even say it in the nicest yet condescending way cus you know more than me😏.

Anyway, back to all the money well be making. You like salmon, jimmy? I like salmon. I’ll butter up the customers soooo good they’ll have fresh baked cookies waiting for us when we show up. Yeah, we’re gonna have to vacuum up the sheetrock dust and caulk the base when we’re done but we’re taking about fresh baked cookies and salmon.

Word to the wise, eat your cookies before you go pulling and resetting the toilet😝
I'm not doing the work. 😁
It's prefinished hardwood of some kind, not plastic.
The house was cold, the air outside is damp..... because it's 3 blocks away from the Pacific ocean.
Front door is plywood, interior garage door is plywood. The interior has just been painted, so with the "doors" closed, it just feels damp in there. Been raining for months and the rain stopped a week past mother's day.
No outlets installed, no cabinet upper or lowers installed......
....told the Carpet One owner not to let em push into submission. Told em heat has to be on for two weeks with doors closed and pass that on to owner.
Besides, all that finish work being done on top of the new prefinished wood? Interior door casing off is fine. No reason to risk anything when there's tons of work ready and waiting.

Good advice.
Tom has hobbies, he won't get bored, trust me. 😁
If I could quit tomorrow, I'd even make it a short day.....
.....o wait, I already do that. 😁
I wouldn't miss a single thing.
I got plenty of memories, stories and old customers to bump into at the stores.
In the past 7 or 8 weeks, I've installed just over 200 yards of carpet. Today, I fixed a loose Cortec bullnose. Did one a month ago on this same job. Same issue. Didn't sand the back side of the plastic trim and the riser piece was too short to give support to the trim. If they keep coming loose, I'll keep going back to fix em.
Measuring is making my back pain go away. I was given 2 more full house measures today.

My router died today. Wouldn’t turn on. Brushes are still good so I’m not sure what it is. Switch? Cord? Don’t know and I’m not gonna waste any time tryin to figure it out so it got deep 6’d and I’ll buy another one just like it. Might even get the plunge base this time.

Put a 4th coat of Waterlox on the benches and damn if it doesn’t look good. I’ll look at them in the morning and see if I even need to put a coat of wax on them.

View attachment 14721View attachment 14722
If it's not the switch, it's the cord. Just throw parts at it. Used ones run like silk 'cause they're already broke in.

Ooh, cookies!
As for toilet moving, the toiletmaster lift jack works for that. Makes it a lot easier for me.

I could be wrong but I think some motors have coils of copper and sometimes it becomes damaged somehow. The coils can be re-wrapped but its tricky. I think someone here posted videos about it. The cord being damaged makes more sense. Or even something having broken within the switch. Maybe something not making contact all the time?

I'm enjoying the cool air but am exhausted and am about to go to sleep- if my brain will let me.

I'm not doing the work. 😁
It's prefinished hardwood of some kind, not plastic.
The house was cold, the air outside is damp..... because it's 3 blocks away from the Pacific ocean.
Front door is plywood, interior garage door is plywood. The interior has just been painted, so with the "doors" closed, it just feels damp in there. Been raining for months and the rain stopped a week past mother's day.
No outlets installed, no cabinet upper or lowers installed......
....told the Carpet One owner not to let em push into submission. Told em heat has to be on for two weeks with doors closed and pass that on to owner.
Besides, all that finish work being done on top of the new prefinished wood? Interior door casing off is fine. No reason to risk anything when there's tons of work ready and waiting.

Damn it! We were gonna make millions. Problem now is that wood will be on site just soaking up moisture. It’s crap like that that led me to look for other kinds of work. No front door, no garage door, no paint. What could go wrong.

28B0BBFE-43D9-46B7-818A-701C6B4689E9.jpeg

Is that floor even moisture sealed? Do you need a vapor barrier under the flooring? Its a lovely entranceway but it does seem problematic.
I hope you told them that paint and putting doors on first would be better or else the flooring might get messed up. But, they might not care.

I'm not an installer, but if I was, I'd do the paint and doors first and then do floors. Less chance of screwing up the floor that way. I mean, I would set some scrap flooring down to make sure the doors would clear, but the floor would not be done before those things. Reminds me that when I go to do my floors, I may need to do the walls first. I will probably paint baseboards before installation and do touch-up. I really need to get on the whole cleaning thing soon.

First up is the kitchen though- now that it's not boiling hot inside. Dogs knocked over the trash last night and this morning. I keep picking it up. But I need to clean counters and do some dishes if I can get myself to wake up enough. Having one of those days where all I want to do is sleep.

Is that floor even moisture sealed? Do you need a vapor barrier under the flooring? Its a lovely entranceway but it does seem problematic.
I hope you told them that paint and putting doors on first would be better or else the flooring might get messed up. But, they might not care.

That was a house on lake James in NC. Easily a million dollar house. It was the builders house that he was building for himself. I wasn’t doing the floors, I was hangin doors and base n case. The doors would go out of whack in a week or so and we would have to go around and adjust the bad ones because they would warp due to all the moisture in the basement. I just know they twanged back to wherever they wanted to be when the HVAC went operational.

I was there when the floor crew showed up. Funny thing about the floor crew, they showed up with all new tools and I mean ALL. They unboxed it all right there. We had to explain to them how to mount their saw to the stand, brand new air hoses, nail guns and everything. I gave one of them a pair of my old knee pads.

I lived in the boonies and that was my competition. I just got tired of it so I either worked out of town or I ventured into other work that didn’t have that level of competition. Phoenix isn’t much different. Pay is better but the COL is significantly higher and they don’t actively hate brown people here.

Latest posts

Back