What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sort of miss root beer but I've never been overly fond of carbonated drinks. I would shake mine until it got the carbonation out. Too much sugar and some has caffeine added to it.

Listened to my friend vent about his co-worker who is getting paid to do nothing. Guy lied on his application saying he knew how to do the work. He didn't know jack squat about the work. My friend trained him. As soon as training was over started copping a bad attitude. No call no show. They got on his case about it so he comes in but he doesn't work. He'll clock in, go out to his truck to get high, then comes in high as a kite and does nothing. My friend comes in later and finds none of the morning work has been done. So he's having to do this guy's job plus his job. And he's not able to work fulltime because of his health issues. This guy was supposed to relieve some of the pressure from him and friend can't get through to higher ups about the situation. It's not a minimum wage job either. Guy has no excuse for being so lazy. Hell, I wish I knew how to do the stuff because I would do the job. Unfortunately, so long as his guy is on their payroll, they won't hire anyone else.

Bro was bummed because he thinks he got rejected for the job he applied for bc they didn't text him last night. Friend said he's next on the list and to keep checking texts to see if they send something. Said they have to get approval.

Right now a lot of places are doing job interviews but not actually hiring because they get subsidies if they pretend they are hiring but they make more profit by not hiring bc they are low on labor costs and they make understaffed employees work more.

Palm trees are a blowin. It’s comin
4A2F9088-9E7F-4EE7-B33E-B768E8CE7601.jpeg
097B1157-4E21-4E28-909C-95134C49C39F.png

Last edited:
Jeeze…. What did you have around three full boards and the rest were cuts?😜

How do you charge for a job like that?🤯
No kidding. 20 years ago I was at a shop and the owner gave me a diagram of the layout for some expensive wood flooring. A customer came in so he went to tend to the customer and I studied over the layout. It had a pretty large living room and entry area but the kitchen and small dining area were at a 45° angle. I started estimating the percentage of the job that would be fit at an angle, including the stove and refrigerator, the peninsula, not to mention the wall and toe kick areas.
He had it figured it 2.50 a square foot. When he got done with the customer, the owner came back over and asked me what I thought.
I said, no way at least 3.50.
He replied, the living room is pretty big and that's gravy money. 😖
Well, I like stuffing and gravy 😁
It was like 450 square feet in the living room and 200 square feet in the kitchen / dining room.
This was before click lock so this would have been floating glued together material, possibly a Khars product.
Gravy, shouldn't compensate you for the tofu. Gravy is supposed to be what makes the job worthwhile.

Hey Zan, you can get that job if the pot smoker gets fired because you have the same credentials he did. (no experience)
I think you'd be a lot easier to train.

I'm heading back down to continue the crazy prep work for the plank flooring.....the old mobile home with the bouncy particle board floor. In the end, I'll have cross supported 14 locations including 3 floor vent holes that are no longer used. Nightmare job but my supports are doing what I asked of them.... bouncy no more. Next comes floating the floor out as much as possible. It ain't gonna be flat, I just want smooth gentle hills for the planks to lay over.
These are flexible vinyl planks with no T&G. I'm going to try to flatten out or level out the area here that used to be a sliding glass door. There's a dotted line on the particle board that shows where the floor joist is that runs down the hallway.
The aluminum straight edge shows the floor dropping off close to half an inch in 20 inches. I'll level as much as I can so that it doesn't affect the transitioning into the hallway.
...and yes, my camera is level 😱

Attachments

• PXL_20220609_011130461.jpg
    PXL_20220609_011130461.jpg
    370.8 KB · Views: 32
  • PXL_20220609_011048967.jpg
    PXL_20220609_011048967.jpg
    335.2 KB · Views: 33
  • PXL_20220609_011044760.jpg
    PXL_20220609_011044760.jpg
    367.3 KB · Views: 31
I'm going to have at least a dozen 2x4s and 2x6s to box in all the holes I've cut. There's a dozen 4 inch long deck screws in each hole and I probably used eight tubes of urethane adhesive so far.
This job has made me realize that you can make a silk purse out of a sow's a-hole

Attachments

• PXL_20220609_011336574.jpg
    PXL_20220609_011336574.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 36
  • PXL_20220610_010117337.jpg
    PXL_20220610_010117337.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 43
  • PXL_20220610_000315821.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220610_000315821.MP.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 31
Put some laminate in a trailer today. Except for the curved ends it’s just like putting floor in a really small house.
Gotta establish a center line, back fill then lay the rest.
View attachment 14879View attachment 14878View attachment 14880View attachment 14881View attachment 14882View attachment 14884View attachment 14883View attachment 14885

I'm trying to figure out how you work in that damn heat? I see the fan but can't imagine it does too much. 100 degrees+ is freaking nuts. It was around 88 today here with high humidity and I was dead by noon!

I'm trying to figure out how you work in that damn heat? I see the fan but can't imagine it does too much. 100 degrees+ is freaking nuts. It was around 88 today here with high humidity and I was dead by noon!

You start early, stay out of the sun and switch to the tedious but not so physical tasks when the heat turns itself up as the day goes on. I was done laying that floor by noon. The rest of the day was spent farting around with trim n such.

I work for a small company so we get away with a little more than most. Popping the top on a cold one at the end of the day is one of those perks. Believe me when I tell you just how delicious this beer tastes when it’s above 100.

1A79A87C-92D4-4B19-826D-420AEA941C13.jpeg

Last edited:
You start early, stay out of the sun and switch to the tedious but not so physical tasks when the heat turns itself up as the day goes on. I was done laying that floor by noon. The rest of the day was spent farting around with trim n such.

I work for a small company so we get away with a little more than most. Popping the top on a cold one at the end of the day is one of those perks. Believe me when I tell you just how delicious this beer tastes when it’s above 100.

View attachment 14894
Myneighbor behind me gave a Corona last night, I hae never drank one before, was that ever some nasty swamp water. I stick to my Bud lite.

Myneighbor behind me gave a Corona last night, I hae never drank one before, was that ever some nasty swamp water. I stick to my Bud lite.

It was skunked. Prolly why your neighbor gave it to you cus that’s what I do with my shit beer😏

There was an Asian convenience store down the street from us that always had skunked beer. Always! They were the closest store to us so that’s where you naturally went to for a beer run but then when you got home and cracked a beer you remembered why you hated going to that store and you only had 11 more beers to go until you got to try again.

Like most other small convenience stores, they sold pipes and knifes. My wife had a few one night and lit up the little ol Asian person working that night about how they were ruining our neighborhood by selling their paraphernalia. Needless to say we had to change our beer store to 7-11 after that incident. At least 7-11 has decent beer so maybe that’s not a bad thing.

Anyway, Daris, you just need a good Corona and you’ll be alright. They’re nothing special but they’re definitely better than a bud light. The hotter it is outside the better they taste. I’ll bet I would even enjoy one of your Bud Lights when it’s 108 out, but just one! Ok, I may have spoken too soon, I’ll have another.

That's for here on the coast tomorrow. 80 what I don't know yet. 103 inland, 130 miles away.
They can have that. I'd be dead. 78 hurts, I hope that 85 doesn't seize my ticker.

I technically have more experience than the clown pot-smoker because I studied electronic engineering in college. I wired circuit boards and took apart computers and installed parts before. I've also soldered things and have read books on electrical. I do have a degree in office system technology as well. But that was mostly data entry/spreadsheets. Too bad I can't fudge it and say I was a stay at home mom (but not mention it was for cows & cats).
CJ, what did you use to cut the round hole for what I assume was a pipe? Do they sell hole cutters in the size for pipes? I'm going to be needing to cut out for nominally 2" and 3" (possibly 4").
Highup, box looks good!

I went to samsclub yesterday, dropped off stuff with my friend, put away groceries, & watched my dogs thinking they are in Alabama so I need to get one neutered and the other spayed. Well, the male is acting like he's in Alabama. Female snaps at him and tries to get away from him. So, maybe I will get male neutered first. It's cheaper than spaying.

I stayed up late playing Medieval Dynasty.

I will need to make a 2x4 box to raise the vanity top. I'm debating whether I should do miter cuts for the front or if I should just cut side pieces smaller and stick a board on the front. It's 72-1/8" wide.

Thanks for the info, CJ.
Today was my friend's birthday so we gave him $ as a gift and bought food. Visited for awhile. He talked to Mom on the phone and thanked her for the gift. Said it really took a weight off his shoulders. His power company is jerking him around. He's current on his payments but they act as if he's in arrears. If he doesn't pay on the exact day his bill is due (or before) they shut off his power. Company policy is 10 day grace period. Even if he makes a partial payment they shut his power off. Every time he gets his bill it comes with a disconnect notice. His paycheck doesn't land until the day after the bill is due. They once shut his power off when he only owed $2. They charge a reconnect fee every single time. They don't care if its dead of winter or summer & that there is a baby in the house. They shut the power off (no protections in my state on that front). Pretty sure its illegal but this state is corrupt so no one will do anything about it.

The mayor has upped his extortion racket by having his company mow people's lawns without their permission & then charging them for it. If they refuse to pay or argue (or stop his company from mowing their lawn) he sends out warnings of fines and all sorts of bs. Did I mention that he arranged for his personal company to have a contract with he city and he doesn't pay his own workers? Comes straight out of city taxpayer's $.

Has anyone heard from Jon lately? I haven't seen him posting. I might have missed it though.

Latest posts

Back