What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the museum in Astoria?
They should be, but nope, he has these in his garage, in a neato room above the garage and in his house. Just a hobby..... a serious one. he was working on the fishing boat the past week.... Garage isn't heated. This morning it was 24 degrees. It's 27 now, so later today it wouldn't surprise me if went out to fit a couple more parts. It's about finished. He's gluing on the antennas, lights etc.

Went to an NBA game last night downtown Los Angeles with my wife's cousin. Clippers v Kings. Last game I went to was in Inglewood at the Forum to see the Lakers over 30 years ago. Clippers whole act is a very watered down version of the Lakers Showtime--------which I do recall as being very exciting and very impressive ALL-IN.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Showtime_(basketball)
I cant explain the feeling. Everything was so..........orchestrated and chaotic at the same time. There was not the same authentic feel. But it was fun to get out on a Friday night and the actual game........the sport......as opposed to the SHOW was interesting to watch. I don't know what sort of basketball fans we have here but the game has really evolved since Press Maravich was grooming little Pete to take over the world.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention it was the highest scoring game in NBA history with double overtime 176-175

Last edited:
I just replaced the battery in my XT5 Cad. It was $349! Those auto stop/start engines really need the HD glass mat batteries.
We haven't sold my father-in-law's mobility scooter yet and now I'm looking at it and the battery won't hold a charge. First Google searches seemed to indicate the replacement batteries would be in the $600-800 range. BS-----that's the Google ad algos pushing your worst possible costs efficient items to the top of the list.

Those are really reasonable depending on HOURS needed between charge. So like $50-100 for what we'd need. My wife will have hip surgery soon so we might just keep it through that ordeal.

My point is transitions to battery technology are MOSTLY scams of corporate profit margin. I watch CNBC and Bloomberg business programs. It's funny that the CEO or CFO or Owners of companies will go on there and brag about the profit margins on some of their products--------particularly SUBSCRIPTION based rackets. I feel batteries operated crap falls into the same category of racket as you're not just buying that item but committing to a long term replacement program, often monopolized by the brand owners.

And I hate the auto STOP-START on my 2019 F150. It's really distracting to drive with that-one more feature of a computer taking over my business without asking. I can manually switch that off but it won't remember that preference. Every time I start the car I have to press the button to deactivate.

And I hate the auto STOP-START on my 2019 F150. It's really distracting to drive with that-one more feature of a computer taking over my business without asking. I can manually switch that off but it won't remember that preference. Every time I start the car I have to press the button to deactivate.
Sometimes, old junky cars like mine are better.

Sometimes, old junky cars like mine are better.
The other thing that drives me crazy in my mother-in-law's 2011 Nissan the door LOCKS ITSELF automatically a few minutes after you start driving. So ever freakin' time you get out you have to unlock that door. Besides those stupid little Japanese cars have nothing intuitive or familiar about where these tiny little controll switches might be hidden to operate............EVERYTHING. So I struggle just to find that unlock switch in the PANEL of control switches to open/close windows/doors and operate the rear view mirrors. They are VERY small and indistinguishable from one another. I hate driving that car.

You basically need to sit down with the manual to learn even the most basic functions.

My wife will have hip surgery soon so we might just keep it through that ordeal.
My wife has had 3 of them. 1st one had a to small of ball and it kept coming out. Step son has had two also. He got an excerise bike and rode it faithfully awhile before his 1st surgery. He was up and going hunting in the woods in a matter of a couple weeks. Make sure she does her exercises and therapy or it will be a long time healing. Oh and with both after the surgery they parked the gurney outside the door of their room and made them walk to the bed.

My truck autolocks when I start driving and I don't mind. What bothers me is that it auto unlocks all of the doors when I engage the parking brake. I don't like that. Sometimes I want to have it locked still.

So, I vacuumed the damaged wall in my bathroom, then brushed it and didn't like how it felt so I decided to tear it out. Discovered a rotten stud in the wall. But it has another stud next to it that is OK. I won't be able to remove some of the lower boards because they are tucked behind the adjacent walls. Those ones are solid. I'm going to use the wood hardener on them just in case. I priced out how much it would cost for the hardener and filler for all of those boards & it was $100 before tax. Priced out 3/4" plywood and it was $93 (before tax) for two of them. Priced out furring strips and they were under $2. So, furring strips it is. Absolute worst case I can run some horizontal over the studs to add a little extra support behind the cementboard.

Times I hit myself in the head with a board while prying it off: 1
Times I scraped my elbow when the prybar slipped: 1
Times I slipped in the tub and almost fell: 2
Times a nail I was removing flew across the room: 3
Times I got stabbed in the leg by discarded wood: 5

Got up early this morning and went into the shop to tidy things up. Emptied out my dust collector bag(s). I empty them usually every other week and once every couple of months I turn the bags inside out and run them through the wash.

I used to save the real wood sawdust, as opposed to MDF, and I would give it to my wife so she could use it in her garden. She will appreciate that again this summer.

554C2EFE-ABEE-4983-94FB-4B2B7EC7D304.jpeg

Speaking of batteries...

Last Tuesday, I picked up (3) 12v maintenance free 850 CCA's from Walmart. They were about $110 a piece. They are part of my experiment on my 36v golf cart in Havasu, which usually needs (6) 6v batteries every 1-2 years. These 6v golf cart batteries are about $200 a piece, which equates to $1200 every 1-2 years. This way, I only spend $340 every 1-2 years. They were shorter, but pretty much the same dimensions. I needed to also buy a new 54" black ground cable, since running the batteries in series, left the last battery on the other side of the cart. We (my son) also bought a 36v trickle charger and maintainer, so hopefully we won't cook or dry out these sealed batteries. Everything worked great, the cart is now 300 pounds lighter, and although I probably can't drive 10 miles on a charge, I'm certain that I can go 5 miles, which is perfect for my needs. My only issue was my headlights don't work. My taillights work, the horn works, but my headlights don't. I checked all the fuses, and they are fine, So I either smoked the bulbs, have a broken wire in my wiring harness, of have a buried, blown inline fuse that has blown. Working in 50-70 MPH winds were not optimum conditions, with sporadic rains as well, so I left it until my next trip. With my OCD, I hate leaving half completed jobs, but needed to get back home before the major storm hit.
Anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

• 20230208_100434.jpg
    20230208_100434.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230222_134941.jpg
    20230222_134941.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230223_081141.jpg
    20230223_081141.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
My MIL left us her 2007 Nissan Versa. It has 220,000 miles and still gets 35-37 mpg and uses no oil.
the 2011 Nissan Sentra is way small for my comfort, very plastic and cheap overall. She paid around $12 in 2011 for it. For that money it's reliable transportation and not problematic so far but there's only 30K miles on it.

Latest posts

Back