What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh… I heard it was 10….Hence the 65 in a 55… lol
Fact is you can basically go whatever speed everyone else is going..................just 1 MPH slower than the fastest guy out there. It's really solid advice. Cops will occasionally pick off the tail gunner in a gang of speeders but for the most part they want that lead horse.

You'll see a lot of vehicles doing 84. See, as Daris points out above 20 MPH over the speed limit is reckless driving and turns your life upside-down as far as insurance. So you don't want to get caught going 85 but 84 and under is just the normal speeding ticket. Which you can go to Traffic SCHOOL and wipe off your DMV report. I think I paid $50 and spend an hour online doing the last one about 5 or 6 years ago. (plus the fine of course and I think there's some marginal court fees to boot)

I would be leaving my house at 4:45AM typically getting on site by 5:30-5:45PM to avoid the GRIDLOCK BS that happens once the Little Old Ladies wake up and clog the nations arteries-----------freeway system. Starting work anytime after 6AM has been really my worst nightmare because then I'm driving on the same freeway with the Little Old Lady From Pasadena both ways. Adds essentially an hour onto an already ridiculous, unpaid, miserable, expensive commute.

The only ticket I ever got was when I was going slightly slower than the person ahead of me. Cop lied about my speed. This is in a town where they regularly give tickets for going 1mph over the limit and they will randomly pull people over to ticket them for nonsense because most of the town's revenue comes from tickets. This is the town where the cops were warned there was a federal emergency and that federal agents in civilian vehicles would be driving through at high rates of speed to respond to an emergency and to not delay them. So they called in every cop on the force and had them out stopping and ticketing them. Knowing that bc some of them were out of state, there would be no way to fight the ticket. Even if you do go to court, there is no actual judge to fight the ticket. It's a real racket.

Havasu, I don't know what to tell you, but I think things work differently where you live. They have ticket quotas here. Cops must write x number of tickets by x date. They have the same thing where they aren't supposed to pull over or ticket certain people. Then they have others they specifically target and harass. Bc this is a very racist area, they pull people over just for their skin being darker (and there have been cops who have admitted that). They just make up an excuse. Meanwhile the cops drive like absolute maniacs in town. Change lanes without turn signals, tailgate people in the slow lane, make turns from non-turn-lanes, blow through stop signs and red lights-- all without having lights or sirens on. They actually get into a LOT of accidents. I'd wager that a lot of the budget goes toward repairing their vehicles bc they bust them up all the time. They got a bunch of brand new SUVs and ended up crashing most of them-- and not in high speed chases. But, I live in a particularly backwater corrupt area and my state has the worst justice system in the country.

As for speeds, for the most part you can go 7 miles over without getting busted-- except Woodworth-- which is the town that gives tickets for 1mph over.

Its been too hot in the house and AC isn't working. Kept calling AC people. There were only 3 and one is in jail. One of the two I called finally called back and will be out tomorrow morning.

Took my truck to have the wheels looked at. Back passenger tire was toast-- belt on it broke & had to get a new tire. Front passenger got patched. Tire on the front driver side is ok BUT, the monkeys at the Honda dealership broke my CV axle when they installed the wheelbearing AND they didn't install the wheelbearing properly so it's broken again. Have to replace both parts now. Dealership has on their paperwork that they have no implied warranty unless otherwise stated so complaining to them would do no good. They didn't even give me a full refund for when they charged me for my own oil that I provided. My friend said he can install the CV axle but the wheelbearing needs a special tool (that the dealership apparently doesn't have) and that the local tire place does not have. It's $300 for the tool kit. Have to discuss it with my mother to see if she wants us to get it so the stuff will be installed properly.

Friend also suggested getting a new sway bar link.

At least the lumber I need is under $20. I'll have to pick that up tomorrow.

Trying to plug the leaks where sawdust can escape from my table saw. I used some 1/4” ply to cover up some of the openings. I can’t cover them 100% because that prevents me from tilting the blade so that’s where the mustache on the underside of my ZCI comes into play. I glued a small piece of 1/4” ply in front of the blade as well. That was the latest hole to be covered. Prolly won’t be long until I invest in an over arm dust collecting blade guard.

Then as I was laying in bed this morning I ordered an anemometer. I pushed the buy now button and I’ll be damned if it wasn’t delivered by 9:30 this morning. Figured I would get some readings of what my dust collector actually sucks in CFM. Says it’s rated for 600 CFM. I know I’m not getting 600 but it would sure be nice to know what I am actually getting.

I have a 30 micron bag and a 5 micron bag. The 5 micron bag is twice the size of the 30 micron bag. My thinking was the increased load from the finer mesh would even out by having more surface area for the air to escape through. We’ll see. There’s a Jet dust collector at work with a canister filter on it, I think I’ll test that one too just to see where things really stand vs what they are rated at.

I prolly shoulda just brought my dust collector home cus I could be playing with it right now.

88BEB9EE-78B4-4886-A9B1-9DA58939D0C2.jpeg
8F037B82-C2F7-4948-8246-41F228E9C2D6.jpeg
A8436998-AE09-4B50-8E02-E43CDD38603F.jpeg
B5027E5F-1065-41F5-8D58-EAE3F8DC60CE.jpeg

CJ, that is very cool!
I saw a chunk of plywood that was as tall as my ceiling but not very wide- a scrap from something else. I asked my brother to bring it in for me. Spent a long time cutting it short enough to work with bc I couldn't find my reciprocating blades and my jigsaw blade was old. Also used the oscillating attachment to help things along. Went to hang the larger piece up and realized my arm can't lift that high (still stuck somewhat) and asked my brother for help to get it high enough. Had problems with the driver bit and had to get a different one. Ran out of battery so I'm charging it and will go for round 2 once it is fully charged.

I was sweating so much while cutting the stuff that I literally left a small puddle of sweat behind.

1677725362283.png

I feel your pain, Z. Living in a construction zone can be interesting. We had to trek through this mess to get to our bathroom for a few days… or maybe weeks. Makes for an interesting trip to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

We had to re-plumb the entire house and that took a couple days. I made sure I had a toilet to use during the entire project. I ended up getting a couple adapters and hooked the garden hose up to the toilet. I demoed and worked around the toilet until I finally had to pull it because we were putting in new joists that day. I had it set on new joists and subfloor later the same day I pulled it.

BD39BAB2-18C3-440F-9567-2B962C3EE52F.jpeg
679D6479-C09A-40C7-8D53-AFEAE6EBBBE9.jpeg

The only ticket I ever got was when I was going slightly slower than the person ahead of me. Cop lied about my speed. This is in a town where they regularly give tickets for going 1mph over the limit and they will randomly pull people over to ticket them for nonsense because most of the town's revenue comes from tickets. This is the town where the cops were warned there was a federal emergency and that federal agents in civilian vehicles would be driving through at high rates of speed to respond to an emergency and to not delay them. So they called in every cop on the force and had them out stopping and ticketing them. Knowing that bc some of them were out of state, there would be no way to fight the ticket. Even if you do go to court, there is no actual judge to fight the ticket. It's a real racket.

Havasu, I don't know what to tell you, but I think things work differently where you live. They have ticket quotas here. Cops must write x number of tickets by x date. They have the same thing where they aren't supposed to pull over or ticket certain people. Then they have others they specifically target and harass. Bc this is a very racist area, they pull people over just for their skin being darker (and there have been cops who have admitted that). They just make up an excuse. Meanwhile the cops drive like absolute maniacs in town. Change lanes without turn signals, tailgate people in the slow lane, make turns from non-turn-lanes, blow through stop signs and red lights-- all without having lights or sirens on. They actually get into a LOT of accidents. I'd wager that a lot of the budget goes toward repairing their vehicles bc they bust them up all the time. They got a bunch of brand new SUVs and ended up crashing most of them-- and not in high speed chases. But, I live in a particularly backwater corrupt area and my state has the worst justice system in the country.

As for speeds, for the most part you can go 7 miles over without getting busted-- except Woodworth-- which is the town that gives tickets for 1mph over.

Its been too hot in the house and AC isn't working. Kept calling AC people. There were only 3 and one is in jail. One of the two I called finally called back and will be out tomorrow morning.

Took my truck to have the wheels looked at. Back passenger tire was toast-- belt on it broke & had to get a new tire. Front passenger got patched. Tire on the front driver side is ok BUT, the monkeys at the Honda dealership broke my CV axle when they installed the wheelbearing AND they didn't install the wheelbearing properly so it's broken again. Have to replace both parts now. Dealership has on their paperwork that they have no implied warranty unless otherwise stated so complaining to them would do no good. They didn't even give me a full refund for when they charged me for my own oil that I provided. My friend said he can install the CV axle but the wheelbearing needs a special tool (that the dealership apparently doesn't have) and that the local tire place does not have. It's $300 for the tool kit. Have to discuss it with my mother to see if she wants us to get it so the stuff will be installed properly.

Friend also suggested getting a new sway bar link.

At least the lumber I need is under $20. I'll have to pick that up tomorrow.
Get a dash cam I'll be done with it, those record speed.....
.... And voice 😉

CJ, I'm glad you got the bathroom fixed up. Mine has been a construction zone for waaay too long.

I've been meaning to get a dashcam. Although, as I mentioned, they won't allow people to bring dashcam footage into the court-house to show bc of all the corruption here.

So, as I suspected, the compressor for my AC unit is toast. Unit was made in 2009 and I can't find replacement compressor for it online. Don't even know where to look. And I was just reading that the outside unit has to be paired pretty much exactly with the inside unit for both to work well together. AC guy wants to sell me a new condenser unit but I've been reading that if they don't match well enough it can start a house fire. Might have to replace the entire setup-- including the inside unit. I really do not want that to happen. Guy doesn't even get the same brand name AC.

Anyone know much about this or how to figure out what outside unit matches my inside unit?
This is the info on my inside unit:
1677770985596.png

and this is my outside unit (the XB 13) part got cut off bc I was getting tangled in blackberry vines.
1677771052845.png

Any ideas?

We have the technology. Pretty soon they’ll put one in every car and you’ll just get a ticket in the mail every time you speed…

Or better yet they’ll just deduct it from you bank account…🤪

Just the voice thing alone would be enough to scare me away. Nobody needs to hear what I’m mumbling to myself as I’m driving down the road.

You can sometimes mute the microphone on those dashcams or program it to not record sound.
Otherwise, it would record me complaining about people being out of blinker fluid, going under speed limit in the fast lane, pulling out into the fast lane from the middle lane without proper time so I have to hit my brakes, etc.

I don't know the reason for Portland closing, but they have been known to shut down stores when employees tried to unionize. They can't legally fire employees for it so they shut the stores down.

It is too hot in here. I can't stop sweating and it is sapping all of my energy. I sent pics of the labels with model number info to the AC repair guy. Hope he can find a condenser that works with my inside unit. I don't know how to even look. I've seen the inside units being sold refurbished or used but no sign of the condenser or the compressor for the condenser.

Got back on my circular stairs last week and got four of them done and the railing put back in that first section.
This week, I had my brother with me and we started on the curve section with the pie stairs.
Removing this second of railing makes me wonder what I've gotten myself into. 😖
Every phase has been a learning experience.
No way am I going to be able to charge the time that I have involved in this not even half.
No price was ever set. I could theoretically charge 6 grand for the work on this set of stairs but, if I was asked for a bid or an actual price, I would have said $2500, so no way would I go over that in good concience.
The railing part of my time is 4 or 5 times more that I could have ever guessed. Allignment is the problem because the carpenter that constructed these fit them like a machinist, not a carpenter. The wood parts shrunk after he installed the railing, so the wood is now press fit over each of the metal baulister supports.
My brother and I have 4 hours or more removing the curved section of the railing. I even went home to get my large compressor and my CP Air chisel to slide off a very tight wood to wood support section. It's like separating a wheel bearing race if that helps my description.
In the front right corner of the pie stairs, there is a 12" section of 3/8" threaded rod that holds the lower tread to the one above it.
You can sit in this image, on the right the stairs removed and the yellow shows the threaded rod position. On the left you can see the baluster holder made of steel tubing. The threaded rod goes down through that steel tubing, through the step, through the next steel tubing, then through the step below it what has a nut and washer clamping them all together.
When you remove an upper step, the step below it is now flopping around with no support. This is where the fun begins,.
Before moving or removing these steel brackets, my laser is back in use, projecting the angles and positions of these brackets onto the walls where I mark them with blue tape.
On the bright side, each step has theaded rod in the front and rear making positioning virtually guaranteed.
Each of the baulisters need to drop squarely inside those square steel brackets when we set the railing into place.
Imagine carrying a 7 foot wide curved railing with 11 baulisters dangling from it, then lowering them all down inside the square brackets. I know it's going to take me, my brother and the homeowner to pull this off.
Two holding the railing, and one person squaring the tubular steel so the baulisters will drop inside them, one, by one, by one.
Customers are fantastically patient. This is one of those learning experiences I will never see or need ever again. I guess it's a learning challenge.
In the image, I drew in yellow where the threaded rods go. There's a nut and washer on each end. One on the underside of the lower step, the other is down inside the square steel tubing. That's the green arrow on the left.
Its gonna work, but what a pain.

Attachments

• PXL_20230302_223707314~4.jpg
    PXL_20230302_223707314~4.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back