What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alabama’s hit you, try for a 3 month rental from her insurance. OR borrow the company truck 🛻 …. Good luck Man, glad you have quick reflexes.
It's a '93 with 289,000 miles on it.
....possibly. the 2.8 litre was swapped for a 4.3 litre at some point in his life and the 4.3 was from a 1988 S10. I have no history on the motor not knowing if it was possibly rebuilt or if it sat for 5 years before being installed in my pickup. I'm going to guess the mileage is relatively accurate.
A friend of mine has a used car dealership he checked out the books, and with what it's equipped with it ranged from about $900 to $2150, average of 1450 or something like that.
The adjuster is going to call me today, so we'll figure out where I stand. I wrote down a list of things just to have on hand about the parts and sensors that I've replaced in the past 8 months.
If they total the vehicle, which everyone says they do because of its age and value I do have one ace up my sleeve.
About a year ago I put on a new Napa lifetime starter.
From O'Reilly's I have a lifetime water pump, a lifetime alternator and a lifetime radiator.
If they want a total of vehicle and have me buy another one, I'm not going to have this $560 freebie on the new to me pickup. I've learned to love these lifetime guarantees from O'Reilly's and Napa. I'm on my third O'Reilly's alternator and that's been on there for a few years. Alternators run about 170 bucks.
As far as the car rental, how many dollars per day is a car rental? If my truck was in the shop for a week, do you think that would be worthwhile for them considering the value of my truck?
I know that there are five shops that won't even give me an estimate on my truck because of its age. They won't work on anything before 2000 and my pickups 1993.
I want to go back to next Thursday and take a different route home. Whatever happens is just going to be a messy inconvenience even if the insurance company is fair with me.

Attachments

• PXL_20230815_001600051.jpg
    PXL_20230815_001600051.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230815_001957268.jpg
    PXL_20230815_001957268.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230815_001649207.jpg
    PXL_20230815_001649207.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230815_002148857.jpg
    PXL_20230815_002148857.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230815_000327036.jpg
    PXL_20230815_000327036.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230815_000419238.jpg
    PXL_20230815_000419238.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Take the money and drive it like it is. Put one of them band aid stickers on the boo boo and tell people Chuck Norris spit there. 😁
We had a Dodge Caravan that hail dinged the top, not even any broken glass. Insurance wrote us a check for $3900. So we kept it and paid it off. About 5 years later it got T-boned, and we could only get $2,000 out of it. Comparable vehicles were running about $5,000. Could not get a lawyer interested. Bought a low mileage 2000 Chrysler for the $2,000 and still driving it as a second car.

More to come. There’s still 3 other flights & a few big landings…..

Shoot me please! This is the only carpet I do anymore. Custom shit the other crews can’t be trusted with. 😂

They have good taste. I like the design. Really nice work! Oh, I like those shoes. I have a couple pairs exactly like them.
😂 I have been getting the business from folks for about a month now. Truth is, their finally comfortable. I’ll get a new pair when snow is on the horizon. Also they feel great when I’m on the Harley!!! Like air conditioned feet.

😂 I have been getting the business from folks for about a month now. Truth is, their finally comfortable. I’ll get a new pair when snow is on the horizon. Also they feel great when I’m on the Harley!!! Like air conditioned feet.
We used quite a bit of epoxy/urethane adhesives with all the rubber flooring. So if I could remember at the end of the day I'd slather the toes with the glue and then take them off in the truck to harden on the ride home. You just had to be careful because it would scratch some surfaces. So then I'd put blue tape or duct tape whatever was handy. I'm way too cheap to buy those rubber toe covers.

Thanks mike.
I wrap the step with rosin paper & draw on whatever size border the customer wants. Same with the landings. Then I have the customer look it over and sign off on it. I number them and take them to our warehouse to cut them out & trace onto the carpet. Then I either bind them or take down to Syracuse for surging. It’s a process but I’m always happy with the results.

I kinda miss that process, the brothers co. Dropped their designer work back in 2008 so that type of work is very sporadic and now at 63 my ability to complete them too 🥲

The binding looks to be 7/8” wide and looks good. I prefer 1.25” wide with sisal and a straight stitch if possible , but Some sisals bound straight stitch could break apart from the perforations. I remember applying latex afterwards to help stabilize the edge. Like you said, that type of work is a process on top of a process 😜 Got any pictures from bottom up ?

I kinda miss that process, the brothers co. Dropped their designer work back in 2008 so that type of work is very sporadic and now at 63 my ability to complete them too 🥲

The binding looks to be 7/8” wide and looks good. I prefer 1.25” wide with sisal and a straight stitch if possible , but Some sisals bound straight stitch could break apart from the perforations. I remember applying latex afterwards to help stabilize the edge. Like you said, that type of work is a process on top of a process 😜 Got any pictures from bottom up ?
I did but being a spiral staircase I could only get a couple steps at a time. Pictures were boring so I deleted them. Lol

I also like the wide binding on sisal. But it’s not what we like, it’s what the customer wants. 😂. These folks have no problem paying for what they want, so I give them what they want!!

Going tomorrow to finish up. I’ll get more pics.

Take the money and drive it like it is. Put one of them band aid stickers on the boo boo and tell people Chuck Norris spit there. 😁
If things work out right, maybe I'll find another in better condition, but not running.
If they total it and I'm able to swing a deal buying my pickup back, I could swap my engine and tranny into the other one... if I can find one.
The paint on mine looks bad, but the dent makes it look 10x worse.
Ill just wait for their initial offer and go from there. Insurance issues and accidents are as familiar to me as Pokemon, ballroom dancing and needlepoint.

More to come. There’s still 3 other flights & a few big landings…..

Shoot me please! This is the only carpet I do anymore. Custom shit the other crews can’t be trusted with. 😂
I'm not so sure I'd even want your skills.
.....I'm gonna go have a nap and a nightmare right now. 😲
Where did you learn doing stairs like these? Those are high end artwork. Beautiful stuff right there.

....they use the elevator, don't they? 😁

I thought of this forum while watching Hot Bench earlier. Woman was suing a handyman she hired to install laminate floors. He was supposed to be done in a week but kept having things come up-- got Covid, car broke down, got in a motorcycle wreck, etc. He tore out the old floor and put in the new floor but he didn't do proper prep for the floor underneath and he did half the flooring on one side then on the other and tried to get them to meet up but they didn't lock properly. After a couple of weeks the floor shifted, pulled apart, etc. Apparently he left some of the underlayment from the old flooring in some places but it was removed in others and was very uneven. He came and pulled it out and was supposed to come re-install it later (which is when he got Covid). His assistant told her and showed her that the locking mechanisms on the flooring broke when the flooring was removed and that it could not be re-used. She had paid the guy up front because he'd done other work for her and she'd been happy and thought she could trust him.

6 months went by and he still never came back to fix it and she had to get someone else in and they said the flooring was ruined so she had to buy all new flooring again (same kind). Not sure if they had a deal with the flooring sales place or if it was true. Might have had weak locking system to begin with. So, she was suing for her $ back and for the cost of replacing the flooring.

He said he guaranteed his work but that things just went pearshaped and kept making excuses. Judges said an excuse can still be true, but that it wasn't the plaintiff's fault and ultimately, it was his problem. She'd been asking for some $ back for awhile, but he ghosted her. Claimed his phone broke. She got her $-- although, I still think he should have been paid for removing the old floor at the very least. They said he hadn't made an effort to contact her or rectify things bc he kept saying he needed more time. Felt bad for the guy, but plaintiff was out the $ on the job.

Anyway, I took out some trash, did a little more cleaning, napped, got woken up by my oldest cat who was checking up on me. Still trying to figure out how to replace the drawer rails with something sturdier on the kitchen drawers and how to get rid of the damn roaches without using something that will poison us or the cats.

Latest posts

Back